Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels Virtual Machine for Intel Macs released

Parallels Virtual Machine for Intel Macs released
addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 08:46 AM

Beta is available at

http://www.parallels.com/

I am installing Windows XP as I type this. Looks extremely fast. Installation is as fast as I installed with Apple Bootcamp.

More results later as I get over with installation
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 09:02 AM

There's already a short thread in the Mac OSX forum on this... I have already done the install, and yes it was fast, but there was something about it I didn't like -can't really put my finger no it.

It was sluggish compared to the native XP boot, and it doesn't have native video drivers - so no games. I also posted a couple of screenshots in the other thread

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=291652
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
There's already a short thread in the Mac OSX forum on this... I have already done the install, and yes it was fast, but there was something about it I didn't like -can't really put my finger no it.

It was sluggish compared to the native XP boot, and it doesn't have native video drivers - so no games. I also posted a couple of screenshots in the other thread

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=291652

I’m installing it now. If installation speed is any indication this is a winner. I think our expectations are way out of line for these emulation or virualization programs. They are never going to run games or other graphically intensive apps well. Their purpose is just to give you a simple way to run windows apps without leaving the OSX environment. I'll report more on Parallels later but so far I am very impressed.

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 09:18 AM

Installed and Running:

1. A little bit slower than native XP Boot. Has to be since its running in virtualization mode.
2. Way Way Faster then VPC on a G5
3. Installation and working are seamless. No probs at all
4. No 3d accel but I dont need that. I can dual boot to native windows for that.
5. Excellent for working alongside OSX. I cant even believe that we could have this kind of sppeds
6. I will only need to reboot for windows when I play games. All my other apps will run fine in this. I like the speed
7. Office is running fine.
8. Acrobat 7 is running fine
9. Some of my Windows only Apps running just fine.
10. Goodbye to VPC, Q, Wintel, Guest PC, etc etc

UPDATE:
1. Not near native speeds but much faster than VPC, so a nice welcome piece of software
2. Multitasking a little slow. If you run program the system responsiveness goes does a bit.
( Last edited by addiecool; Apr 6, 2006 at 01:27 PM. )
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 09:26 AM

hmmm... very interesting!

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 09:40 AM

1. Little keyboard issues appeared, like some keys working erratically. But a reboot of windows fixed that. (Its a BETA after all)
2. Suspend and resume works perfect so far
3. Does not bog down the system. I was compressing video for my ipod in handbrake, running windows xp on parrallel, Browsing on safari, playing iTunes. System did not slow down at all and was very responsive. GREAT! GREAT!

Lets hope the final version will bring speed improvements and other improvements
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 11:12 AM

I'm trying on a MBP and it seems that I cannot get the CD ROM to use as the built-in Optical drive. Instead, it only lets me use an ISO file. Is anyone else running into this problem? Alternatively, whats a quick and easy way to convert my Windows CD into an ISO image in OSX?

Thanks
-a

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 11:52 AM

download discblaze from radical breeze. It is universal. the demo will let you do 5 tasks. save the disc as an image. it will create .iso file
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

tasmamoi
Apr 6, 2006, 12:38 PM

Installed Boot Camp last night, and installing Parallel right now.

Both give me a big smile, as I have a few IE/Wintel/ActiveX apps that I absolutely have to use.

VPC sucked, and it wasn't even a possibility with my MBP, so now I have *two* solutions!

**Correction**. It appeared from the Parallel software forums that Airport didn't work. In fact it works great on my MPB.

And if you install the "tools" after your VM is up and running, you get decent video support as well. Change resolution, etc.

I'm not a gamer so I can't speak to game video performance.
( Last edited by pfb; Apr 6, 2006 at 02:30 PM. )

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 12:59 PM

I totaly love my core duo. Glad I sold my G5. Love you Apple for this......
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:59 PM

Can you use the drivers disk that Boot Camp makes to solve the problem of there being no graphics & airport drivers in Parallels ?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 02:10 PM

It would be nice if Parallels could use an actual disk partition, rather than an image. Having Windows installed on my Mac is a bit painful, but having it installed TWICE is just aggravating.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Can you use the drivers disk that Boot Camp makes to solve the problem of there being no graphics & airport drivers in Parallels ?
Though I haven't tried it, I am 99% sure this will not work, as its not a drivers problem, its the fat that the virtual machine does not relate directly to the hardware, hence it doesn't "know" that the computer has an ATI x1600, for example. No drivers can fix that.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by addiecool
download discblaze from radical breeze. It is universal. the demo will let you do 5 tasks. save the disc as an image. it will create .iso file
How do I use an app to create the iso when I can't get the CD to stay in my mac? I guess I'll just head over to my linux box.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 06:12 PM

re: virtualisation and drivers - isn't this what Intels VT tech is designed to solve ? If not, what DOES it do ?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 07:05 PM

Would it ever be possible to have a windows program in OSX (or some kind of shortcut) that when you open it, it runs pretty much transparent in it's own window without running in a VirtualPC type application?
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 08:06 PM

Anybody know how to get a MBP running parallels to wake from sleep? Mine consistently reboots instead of waking if I have a virtual machine running in parallels.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas
I'm trying on a MBP and it seems that I cannot get the CD ROM to use as the built-in Optical drive. Instead, it only lets me use an ISO file. Is anyone else running into this problem? Alternatively, whats a quick and easy way to convert my Windows CD into an ISO image in OSX?

Thanks
-a

I had the same problem. I used Disk Utility to create a disk image of the DVD I was using. Click the disk in Disk Utility (not the volume, the root--the disk itself), then select File->New->Disk Image From diskx. For format, choose DVD/CD master, and put the image wherever you want. After the image is created, change the extension from .cdr to .iso. Then, Parallels can use it.

I still wasn't able to get Windows 2000 installed (two system crashes before the image was even formatted), but at least I found a work-around to this issue.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

AirRon
Apr 6, 2006, 09:57 PM

So I have a copy of Virtual PC 6.1 with Windows XP home edition on it . . ..

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but . . . can the Windows XP on Virtual PC discs be used to install to Parallels or am I going to need to shell out more $ to get a regular disc?
I saw this question asked, but not answered, over at the Parallels forum . . .

thanks

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 10:10 PM

I can't seem to find the answer… drag and drop abilities or copy files between windows/environments?

T

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 10:18 PM

Hey addiecool: in that other (locked) thread, I was totally kidding about the end of the Mac. I thought I made it apparent by adding "We're all going to die!!!!!", but sarcasm can be tricky on the internet.

Anyway, like I said there, I would imagine this method is the best solution for most Mac users with a need for Windows. I hope there's eventually a solution that works like OS 9 did on Macs before 2003, wherein you could use the same partition for dual-booting or virtualization. That way, if you need to let Windows have some low-level hardware access, you boot into the same environment you're used to from the VirtualPC-ish app.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 10:47 PM

My main question is about hardware addressing.

1. Is it sending off the print job to the OS X drivers or is it handling the printing itself?
2. How about USB sharing? Can when I plug in my wife's Treo to sync, do I have to disable either hotsync manager or missing sync in order for the sync to progress?
3. Can I use my old scanner that doesn't work under OS X?
4. Will it try to import my flash card to both OS's when I plug it in?

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 03:09 AM

With regards the DVD/CDRW problem defaulting to ISO files, I was able to map it to the physical DVD/CDRW on my MBP by first quitting Workstation and then reopening it again. It's actually written in the Users guide, but they should have made that the default.

My biggest problem with Parallel's Workstation is that I can't seem to figure out how to configure Win XP to access the internet through my Airport Extreme card on my MBP. Any advice?

toneloco28
Apr 7, 2006, 04:17 AM

Under the Network Adapter settings change the selection box under "Bridged Ethernet" from en0 to en1. Work's perfect for me.

I absolutely love this app! After installing the Tools, I can now seamlessly mouse from the XP virtual environment, to OS X without any keyboard shortcuts. It even recognizes the two-finger scrolling and cntrl-trackpad, to act as a right click. Anxiously looking forward to the final release!

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by toneloco28
I absolutely love this app! After installing the Tools, I can now seamlessly mouse from the XP virtual environment, to OS X without any keyboard shortcuts. It even recognizes the two-finger scrolling and cntrl-trackpad, to act as a right click. Anxiously looking forward to the final release!
What tools?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 07:11 AM

I'm interested in how it handles printing. For instance VPC has a "generic" printer that submits prints to the osx printer. I have limited choices in paper handling and specific printer functions. I own a kodak 1400 that uses 8x12 paper. It really messes things up because I cannot choose the paper size in VPC. I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue in this app?

Anyone care to chime in? I have boot camp installed and when I get home tonight, I'll finish loading the kodak printer drivers and see if I have any issues with usb printing in the native version of windows on my mini.

Regards
Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas

Thanks
-a
I fixed it simply by quitting and restarting the app.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 12:10 PM

This lot had to happen this week, first BootCamp now this.
Late last week I bought a super cheap Dell on ebay so I could do ASP dev at home (over VNC). Just as I have got it all set up and working, It now turns out I could have done the the same on my Mac with out any extra Hardware.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JLL
What tools?
The tools that can be installed from the VM menu.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:02 PM

Has anyone had luck with the Fullscreen mode? For me it always complains that the host OS doesn't like the guest OS's choice of resolution, no matter what resolution I set Windows to.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:44 PM

Word to the wise: Using OS X's Windows sharing to allow access to your home directory from within Parallels Workstation works fine -- just connect to \\external.ip.address\username.

However, this still has these problems:
1. Starting or stopping the sharing while Parallels is running gives me a kernel panic pretty reliably.
2. The necessity of using the external IP address might make it harder to use while unplugged from a network, though perhaps a 169.xx.xx.xx address will work fine.

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Word to the wise: Using OS X's Windows sharing to allow access to your home directory from within Parallels Workstation works fine -- just connect to \\external.ip.address\username.

However, this still has these problems:
1. Starting or stopping the sharing while Parallels is running gives me a kernel panic pretty reliably.
2. The necessity of using the external IP address might make it harder to use while unplugged from a network, though perhaps a 169.xx.xx.xx address will work fine.

I read somewhere that those panics don't happen when using wireless. The developer is aware of the issue.

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by toneloco28
Under the Network Adapter settings change the selection box under "Bridged Ethernet" from en0 to en1. Work's perfect for me.

Thank you so much for that advice. I would never have figured it out from their documentation. I agree, this is a great application. It would be nice, though to have the ability to drag and drop like Virtual PC offers.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 06:06 PM

Drag and drop ability will come I imagine.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 08:45 PM

This may seem elementary, but every option in the manuals has .hdds on the startup volume.

Can the Virtual Machines .hdd belocated on an external volume/disk? Like, say, firewire or usb?

Thanks.

Toby

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 02:36 AM

I have the virtual volume installed on my external USB 2.0 HDD. Works perfectly, although a wee bit slow due to USB 2.0 overhead. I am going to change to a firewire case soon, USB just plain sucXks.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 02:39 AM

Hey slugslugslug: sarcasm understood. I got your point but I just explained it further. Share the same feelings....

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Hey addiecool: in that other (locked) thread, I was totally kidding about the end of the Mac. I thought I made it apparent by adding "We're all going to die!!!!!", but sarcasm can be tricky on the internet.

Anyway, like I said there, I would imagine this method is the best solution for most Mac users with a need for Windows. I hope there's eventually a solution that works like OS 9 did on Macs before 2003, wherein you could use the same partition for dual-booting or virtualization. That way, if you need to let Windows have some low-level hardware access, you boot into the same environment you're used to from the VirtualPC-ish app.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2006, 03:19 AM

How about using this on an intel iMac with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 03:36 AM

How do you transfer files between your Mac and the Parallel's WinXP using local networking?

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 09:15 AM

I have it working on Win2K this way:

Latest Parallels buld (2.1.1658.30)
my iMac uses ethernet as the primary interface
Bound Parallels to en1 (wireless)
Turn on SMB sharing on the Mac
Use my network places to connect to \\macs.en0.ip.address

It's a funny way to move things around the same harddrive (ethernet -> router -> wifi-> same computer), but it is functional.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 02:27 PM

How did you get the WInXP VM to connect to the internet when setting it to en1?

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist

I’m not sure I understand the question. If your wireless networking is working on the Mac the VM will just bridge into that network en1 and use it. It will not know that it is a wireless connection. Within the vm XP will just see an Ethernet connection and use it.

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 03:40 PM

How do you transfer files between your Mac and the Parallel's WinXP using local networking?

Do you know how to share files over a network with windows machines? None of this stuff is specific to the fact that the windows machine is on the same box. You just use standard windows and macintosh networking stuff.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 10:59 PM

By having a working wifi connection on en1.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 11:55 PM

Any reports on wether Parallels benefits from Core Duo vs Core Solo?

RepeRuutikallo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Any reports on wether Parallels benefits from Core Duo vs Core Solo?
There seems to be noticeable difference. Core Duo can use hardware virtualization, Core Solo only software. This does not mean that Solo would be as slow as Virtual PC in PPC, it is much faster but still much slower than Duo.

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2006, 05:01 PM

Has anyone been able to get sound to work yet from the virtual machine running Windows XP?

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2006, 09:53 PM

Anyone try video chatting with MSN mesenger yet from within Parallels Workstations?

walter99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 01:46 AM

Does anyone have experiences with printing from within the virtual machine? The manual only talks about network printers, but then again, they mention that USB1.1 ports are emulated - so can I simply connect a printer via USB too?

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2006, 04:53 AM

AFAIK sound and USB is not working in the current beta of Parallels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules