Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels Virtual Machine for Intel Macs released

Parallels Virtual Machine for Intel Macs released (Page 2)
timmerk
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 01:29 AM

Know what would be cool? If you didn't have to use a hard drive image, but could use a actual hard drive or partition. That way you could use one partition for both dual booting with bootcamp and with the VM. Parrallels would have to make their drivers not activate somehow when dual booted into Windows, and not use Apple's drivers when it's booted into the VM, but it could be done.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2006, 06:01 PM

For some reason I seem to really enjoy the fact that windows is locked up in a disk image i can just throw away if it gets infected.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2006, 11:28 PM

That would be cool. Doesn't seem to be on Parallel's short-term roadmap, unfortunately. (They'll be frittering away their time with things like eliminating kernel panics.)

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 06:48 PM

I don't think that could be done. The VM that Parrallels runs Windows in will require different drivers (as the Parrallels enviro will be perceived as the PC hardware by XP) than the actual HW drivers that it uses when running as the 'full' OS.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2006, 02:53 AM

I've noticed that with Parallels, whenever I click the mouse, my input is detached from the console? Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
I'm interested in how it handles printing. For instance VPC has a "generic" printer that submits prints to the osx printer. I have limited choices in paper handling and specific printer functions. I own a kodak 1400 that uses 8x12 paper. It really messes things up because I cannot choose the paper size in VPC. I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue in this app?

Anyone care to chime in? I have boot camp installed and when I get home tonight, I'll finish loading the kodak printer drivers and see if I have any issues with usb printing in the native version of windows on my mini.

Regards
Mike
Just on this issue - instead of using the VPC printer - instead go into USB devices (in VPC) and tick your kodak printer in the list. Then inside of VPC install kodak's drivers for the printer and print that way instead.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
I've noticed that with Parallels, whenever I click the mouse, my input is detached from the console? Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
Wow, I just identified a bug with Parallels. With the PW window in my main iMac display, the functionality works as expected (need to hit Cntl-Option to release keyboard and mouse from the console window). When I drag the window to my second monitor (I span displays with my iMac), any mouse click within the console window will release the keyboard and mouse (rendering the mouse useless within the Guest OS).

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2006, 02:19 AM

Wow, I just identified a bug with Parallels. With the PW window in my main iMac display, the functionality works as expected (need to hit Cntl-Option to release keyboard and mouse from the console window). When I drag the window to my second monitor (I span displays with my iMac), any mouse click within the console window will release the keyboard and mouse (rendering the mouse useless within the Guest OS).
Can anyone else confirm this behavior??

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 02:25 PM

I just identified a bug with Parallels. With the PW window in my main iMac display, the mouse works as expected (need to hit Cntl-Option to release keyboard and mouse from the console window). When I drag the window to my second monitor (I span displays with my iMac), any mouse click within the console window will release the keyboard and mouse (rendering the mouse useless within the Guest OS).
I received this in response to my bug report:

On Apr 17, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Parallels Support wrote:

Hello Larry!
Thank you for your interest in Parallels Workstation.

Parallels doesn't support dual-headed configurations now.
The feature is in scope for future versions.
In non-full screen mode, PW is simply a windowed application. It should be able to exist anywhere on my desktop. Expecting an end user to start keeping track of what applications can exist on which parts of their desktop is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

That seems a LOT like a bug to me (not a missing feature).

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 08:33 AM

There IS something odd with Parallels, if my imac's screen powers off (just display to 'sleep' not the computer) when I move the mouse to wake it back up the entire screen (except the mouse pointer) is totally white and is like this for a few seconds.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 10:25 AM

Everyone raves about performance on the iMacs and MBPs; how about the Core Duo minis with a good whack of RAM?

Trying to convince my brother that his next PC should be a Mac...

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Any reports on wether Parallels benefits from Core Duo vs Core Solo?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

harrowww
Apr 18, 2006, 10:33 AM

who's using the beta 3 of parallels workstation? have many of the bugs from the previous betas been fixed?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006, 02:29 PM

Uh, how do I go about removing Parallels? Just Trash the files? :-/
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006, 02:35 PM

And oh, beta 4 is out.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by framedinblood
who's using the beta 3 of parallels workstation? have many of the bugs from the previous betas been fixed?

I have yet to crash this thing. I do know not to put my Mac to sleep while it is running although it is my understanding this is fixed. It is very solid.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 07:47 PM

I just have to post this screenshot. I never thought this day would come:

galarneau
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 05:04 AM

^
|
|

Explain

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by galarneau
^
|
|

Explain
Yes REALLY, (is it a mockup?) It looks like a fast user switch, but one user is on OSX and one on XP.
The only snag I would see is that both OS's would have to be loaded, or the one not in use could be 'cahshed' to the HD somehow.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 08:22 AM

Parallels full screen mode + VirtueDesktops.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 09:26 AM

exactly. the VirtueDesktops project is really coming along nicely under the care of its new head developer.

harrowww
Apr 19, 2006, 10:34 AM

can someone explain that screen shot above?

Jerk_circus
Apr 19, 2006, 10:44 AM

Isnt that program called desktop manager? I use to use it all the time, but it got kind of annoying changing screens accidentally. Used with parallels though, it would be a great tool
Jerk_circus | Toronto Web Development

Jerk_circus
Apr 19, 2006, 10:45 AM

Here's a video of it in action from the developers website
http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/videos/Cube.mov

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 10:55 AM

I just have to say how nice it is for me to run SQL Server Enterprise Manager on my MBP. Yeah, I could be adding these users on the server itself via RDC or standing at the console, but this is just plain cool to run it on my laptop, with no speed penalty.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

harrowww
Apr 19, 2006, 11:24 AM

i can't get that movie to run...what program should I try to open it with?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 11:49 AM

VirtueDesktops is an open-source project. The developer, Tony Arnold, more or less started where Desktop Manager left off, updating for Tiger and Intel compatibility, and adding more features. I've just started using it regularly in the past few weeks, and it's terriffic.

In combination with Parallels and xGestures, switching between Mac OS and Windows is just a flick of the mouse.

harrowww
Apr 19, 2006, 12:21 PM

has anyone actually preordered the GA of parallels workstation?

Jerk_circus
Apr 19, 2006, 01:22 PM

i can't get that movie to run...what program should I try to open it with?
Quicktime??? Thats weird how it wont run for you

harrowww
Apr 19, 2006, 03:37 PM

i was just having a quicktime error...restarted the comp and now it's all good. thanks.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 10:29 PM

Now I want 3d acceleration support

harrowww
Apr 20, 2006, 10:57 AM

tried the beta 4? still no 3D support?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 11:32 AM

3D support is very unlikely. The graphics cards do not have the same support for virtualized access that the CPU does.

harrowww
Apr 20, 2006, 01:23 PM

i wonder if they're planning on 3D support in the final version. gonna be tough to game without it.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:29 PM

Sound support could still be better though.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2006, 06:49 AM

i wonder if they're planning on 3D support in the final version. gonna be tough to game without it.
I don't know how many other ways to say it: 3D support is not going to happen. Boot Camp is where it's at for 3D gaming.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2006, 11:05 AM

They seem to have 2d acceleration down pretty good. What's to stop them from introducing 3d support?

dazzla
Senior User
Apr 21, 2006, 03:06 PM

How is the 2D acceleration? In terms of window resizing, window/dialog dragging, scrolling etc.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2006, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
How is the 2D acceleration? In terms of window resizing, window/dialog dragging, scrolling etc.
Waaaay better than it was in beta 1. Beta 4 improved on it so much.

If anything, the Parallels developers are AWESOME and very active and dedicated to this project and the Mac platform. If they can win us all over now, they've won us over for life. Microsoft and VPC can go f**k itself.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
They seem to have 2d acceleration down pretty good. What's to stop them from introducing 3d support?
Couldn't they do 3D support as a 'full screen only' option?

harrowww
Apr 25, 2006, 09:46 AM

I've heard on the forums that 3D support will come eventually, but not necessarily in the general release...probably in a later release. But the way the developers have been turning out beta after beta, could be sooner than expected.

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 09:55 AM

I don't see why people really want 3D support. If you really need fast 3D performance switch to Boot Camp. You are probably going to want the additional speed you get from getting out of emulated hardware.

harrowww
Apr 25, 2006, 11:51 AM

true vamp. technically, people who want the 3D support for games could run XP thru boot camp, and also have parallels installed on their OS X for when they want to use a windows VM for less graphic-heavy apps.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 10:19 PM

In response to printing via Parallels ... I downloaded and installed Bonjour from Apple's web site. Bonjour instantly recognized my Mac shared printers and prints to them as easily as my Mac does.

harrowww
Apr 26, 2006, 01:45 PM

for those interested: just got an e-mail that parallels released beta 5 today w/ usb support, file sharing, and a couple other features. here's the link to check it out: http://www.parallels.com/en/download/mac/

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 07:11 PM

Anyone tried out the USB support? I'm wondering if I should install Boot Camp or Parallels to run an application for programming lights. It uses a USB/Serial cable. Any insight on which solution is the most likely to work?

kman

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 07:48 AM

Kman
I would give Parallels a try first, for the simple reason that the install is easier. As long as you have a copy of XP.

harrowww
Apr 28, 2006, 08:45 AM

i used USB support in parallels beta 5 and it's working fine for me. tried a printer, my iPod, and my wireless mouse, all workin fine. you have a chance to try the lights program yet?

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 09:21 AM

Funny because I couldn't get my thumbdrive to show up. It was connected to a hub prior to starting parallels, so that might be it. I haven't tried my printer or card reader yet. I also couldn't get shared folders to show up - not sure what that's about.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 10:19 AM

Well, we tried the lights out. What we're actually using is a home automation system similar to X10 called UPB for those into that sort of thing. You have to use an interface node that plugs into an electrical outlet and connects to the computer via a USB-serial converter (there are proper USB devices, but we didn't have one).

When we plugged it in, XP said it detected new hardware and tried to install it but said it couldn't find the driver. It told us to do a software update, so we did but there is no noticeable difference. The program we are using can't find the light interface so either Windows didn't add the new hardware or the USB support in Parallels isn't working with it. A couple of questions:

1) After reading the Parallels manual (after trying everything, of course), I found that you have to add hardware to Parallels as well. I'm not sure if I need to do that since XP seemed to recognize the new hardware when we added it and it shows up in the Parallels device menu as "USB/conuerter" (sic).
2) How do I determine if XP has actually installed the driver?

thanks,
kman

harrowww
Apr 28, 2006, 01:28 PM

Well, not exactly sure about that one, but I do know you can either try e-mailing support at [email protected] or go to the Parallels forum at http://forum.parallels.com

There are tons of people troubleshooting in the forum, so it may be a good, quick place to find an answer. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules