Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How hard is it to upgrade new iMac's hard drive?

How hard is it to upgrade new iMac's hard drive?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2007, 02:42 AM

I plan to purchase one of the new iMac's and I assume that the hard drive is not user replaceable so I know there are warranty risks but a couple months ago I was able to upgrade the hard drive in my current generation MBP to a 250GB drive.
When I get an iMac I plan to get the more expensive 20 inch version and want at least 500GB since it'll be dual boot (BootCamp) Windows XP/Mac. Even the 750GB is tempting. I may go the route of the smallest hard drive and then buy a larger hard drive and upgrade myself to save money but is this hard to do?

rmiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2007, 01:17 PM

In a word Yes, very hard.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Oct 17, 2007, 01:27 PM

Instructions with pictures. Not trivial. Consider an external FW800 drive too, as not much slower, and considerably easier.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
Not trivial.
Understatement. I have years of experience "under the hood" in computers and other hardware, and I would not want to do it without having seen it done-not just how-to pictures and instructions. Thanks for posting the link-hopefully most people will see that this is NOT for the faint of heart.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 05:32 PM

that seems to be for the older white intel imac, the new architecture should be different in the new alu imacs seeing how the machine has become thinner than before (but it might be the same too, im just mentioning this to make a note for those considering the upgrade).

i would go for an external drive if i were you, considering the new imacs also support FW800
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 05:37 PM

There's a link in one of the "new iMac" threads, and the process looks at least as complex as in the included link. I'll look for it...

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There's a link in one of the "new iMac" threads, and the process looks at least as complex as in the included link. I'll look for it...
Better than the thread, here's the site I remembered the link going to. Opening up the machine is fairly simple. Then it gets challenging. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the explanations, since they're pretty much nonexistent. But it requires taking out the logic board and everything in front/above it. Yikes!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 06:16 PM

Couldn't be easier, just follow the instructions:
Remove glass

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 07:20 PM

It's not hard, but it isn't easy. Don't be discouraged by the negative responses above. I would call it tricky. One has to be careful and judicious. Do it in a clean area with nothing to distract you. A wide table with a clean, plain colored tablecloth, wear and anti-static strap, etc.

Idiots build these things. Surely you can change the HD without breaking something.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2007, 08:20 PM

I didn't mean to be "negative." But honestly, this is not a task for someone without all the right tools and quite a bit of experience. "Idiots" assemble the parts, but they do ONE part over and over, using exactly the right tools and in a well controlled environment. A home environment won't be anything at all like that, which means the user must be extra cautious and extra diligent about things like keeping screws in order and controlling static. The very first thing people trying this at home will skip is the anti-static wrist strap...and that's just asking for trouble.

Forum Links
Forum Rules