Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Outlook 2010 on Windows 8 - Concern Over Contacts & Relationship with Exchange E-mail

Outlook 2010 on Windows 8 - Concern Over Contacts & Relationship with Exchange E-mail
NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2013, 11:33 PM

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend out transfer contacts from his old laptop and Blackberry to his new laptop. He just recently purchased a Windows 8 laptop with Microsoft Office 2010. We setup three e-mail accounts for him, 2 with companies that he's a consultant for (1 Exchange & 1 IMAP) and 1 that he uses as a personal e-mail (IMAP). Here's the issue, after importing the contacts my friend and I noticed that it states in the Contacts module/screen "Contacts -" and after the dash is his Exchange e-mail address. Should we be concerned that these contacts are being shared with the Microsoft Exchange server?

Is there anyway to either A) associate these contacts with his personal (IMAP) e-mail or B) disassociate them with any particular e-mail address? Please let us know.

Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2013, 02:34 PM

No and no.

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2013, 05:27 PM

Should we be worried that this information is being shared with the Exchange server? We don't want it to be. Please let us know. Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2013, 08:34 PM

Yes, it's being shared with the Exchange server.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 PM

If the contacts are showing up under his Exchange account, then yes, they are being stored on Exchange. You can move them to a local PST instead of Exchange if you just want them in Outlook.

If you want them imported into his IMAP account instead, you need to dump them off the BB in some standardized format (like VCARD) or export them from Outlook and then import them into whatever IMAP provider he's using. Alternatively, if he has an iPhone or Android phone, he can transfer the contacts to his phone and then allow the device to sync them to the IMAP provider, if this is supported (e.g. Gmail).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
If you want them imported into his IMAP account instead, you need to dump them off the BB in some standardized format (like VCARD) or export them from Outlook and then import them into whatever IMAP provider he's using.
Except the part where IMAP doesn't support contacts...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2013, 12:34 PM

I know. I mean through that provider's webmail interface, if the option is there.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules