Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Contacts: How long till reach your iphone?

Contacts: How long till reach your iphone?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2016, 04:19 PM

When I enter new info in contacts on my desktop, there seems to be huge delays for when that new contact can be pulled up on my iphone. What is the norm for full sync on that? Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2016, 07:07 PM

Your delays could be related to how you share your contacts, how your devices are connected to the Internet, and probably other things.

When I have added a contact on my phone, I've seen it show up anywhere from almost immediately to within a couple of minutes if I'm watching another device. The longest I've waited has been three or four minutes for a contact I added on my phone while at work, after waking my iPad. I think this was a combination of the iPad being asleep and time needed for iCloud to realize it was awake so it could push the new contact.

For OS X to iOS devices, I can see issues on the OS X side slowing down when the data gets sent to iCloud. Again, there could be more going on behind the scenes that isn't obvious.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Curiosity
Senior User
Feb 8, 2016, 02:19 AM

I always did things the other way around. I entered the information on the iPod, then synced with iTunes, which copied the information to the Mac OS address book. The reason was that I want information to be presented in a certain way on the mobile device, and the easiest way to ensure that is to enter it into the mobile device in the first place.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2016, 12:30 PM

Thanks G, I'm I also have issue on this forum with email notification, sorry for the later reply.

I'm getting delays of 2-5 days,

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2016, 12:31 PM

When email notification is not working; how to I check I'm subscribed to the thread?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2016, 10:04 PM

What do you mean "check I'm subscribed"? If you've contributed to (posted in) a thread, there will be a green dot on the thread icon - light colored if you've read read all the posts, dark colored if there are unread posts.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2016, 08:15 PM

Thanks G. I see a purple dot on the right of my name. Does that mean I'm subscribed? Never noticed before...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2016, 09:27 PM

That dot (in the post's member info section) says you're the thread starter.

I'm talking about thread listings; when you look at the list of threads in various forums, you'll see either no dot, or yellow or green dots connected to the little "envelope" icon for each thread.

No dot means nothing has been posted to that thread since you read it (or marked it read).

A yellow dot means that there's been a new post since the last time you looked at that thread.

A light green dot means you've posted to the thread, but there's nothing new in it, and a dark green dot means you've posted in it, and there IS something new in it.

We don't have an option to show only "my threads," the way some forums do.

When I surf a forum (or a set of forums), I usually look at the forum's thread list, and look for the icon that says something I need, like that I've posted to it, or that there's a new post in it. It's not as streamlined as just having an email every time a thread you're interested in gets a new post, but it can lead to seeing new stuff.

I hope that helps.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2016, 09:33 PM

G I went to the thread lsit now, which I never do, (I always click on email notification links) , and I don't see any dots there at all. I'm on Firefox for Mac.

On this page, I just see purple dot.

But what tells me I'm getting email notification or not? That's all I care about, when I think (accurately or not), I may not be... Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2016, 09:44 PM

Go to your User Control Panel - it's a link at the top of every page, labeled "User CP". One of the options on the left (under Subscribed
Threads) is Subscription List. That should list all the threads you're currently subscribed to.

If you haven't posted to the thread (usually through the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the thread), you'll have to do something else to subscribe to a thread. At the top of the thread will be a little wrench icon (top right border of the thread). Click on that; the third option in the list is "Subscribe to this thread."

Hope that helps.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2016, 10:41 PM

got it thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules