Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto vs. Adobe Photoshop Album

iPhoto vs. Adobe Photoshop Album
dwebster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2003, 12:17 AM

I have always recommended the Mac to all of my friends in search of a computer, especially if they use a digital camera.....because of iPhoto and all of the iLife apps. Now that Adobe Photoshop Album is out, I have been given cause for a pause in thought. From what I have read, APA does most if not all that iPhoto does and then some. It has greeting cards, calendars, exportable slide shows, etc. Sure, it isn't integrated like all of the iLife apps, but feature for feature, it is left in the dust a bit. This isn't a big deal if you are complaing that Office v.X doesn't have Access as that is not the core for a Mac User. However, the iLife apps should stay as "trend setters" to remain competetive. So what if it is free, the hardware costs more. I love the Mac, but please don't make me wish I had APA.

In additon, check out www.photopulse.com. This is a cool app that allows a PC user to create a slide show (w/ music, cool transitions, etc.) and exports it as a SWF file. This allows the user to send a slide show to any person on any platform. Again, not a huge deal, but if you are a user friendly company like Apple, sending a slide show to someone should be an option. Especially considering the fact that there is no reason a person shouldn't be able to expeort a slide show as a QT movie and send that to someone. Big deal, you can send a slide show to someone running OS X.....if they want to use it as a screen saver????????

How about the ability to make a nice slideshow with music and tons of tranisitons that doesn't take up much space that I can email to all my friends and relatives......oh should I buy a PC?

Thoughts?

Don

Thanks,

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2003, 12:30 AM

Good point about the QT export options. It's already cross-platform ,ad not surprising that Apple would have a vested interest in supporting it like this. Like Keynote and iMovie, you should be able to use presets for e-mail, web streaming, presentation, etc. Remember that for more complicated slideshows, iMovie was given access to the iPhoto library for a reason.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 12:46 AM

This topic has been discussed before and I will probably have this opion after the mac version is released as well.

Walter Mossberg, a technology reporter at the Wall Street Journal, wrote: '[Album lacks] iPhoto's bedrock feature: the ability to place any photo in multiple virtual albums of their own creation and then use those albums to make slideshows, sets of prints or even a book.'

He added that he found Album's organising mechanisms too rigid and complicated. Overall, Mossberg thought version 1.0 of iPhoto was a better product than Album 1.0.

All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules