Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 59)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Somehow goMac forgot how to read or is being the usual manipulative liar.
That's enough name calling.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
That's enough name calling.
How about enough lying? After all, nothing against name calling in the 10 commandments.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:34 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 03:02 AM

Calling people liars or crazy doesn't further the discussion and doesn't make you look like a reasonable person, either. Knock it off.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Calling people liars or crazy doesn't further the discussion
Could if it is true
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:34 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 06:58 AM

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:00 AM

Oh and according to one of those articles, they expected the 60gb units to be gone in July. Looks like they missed a sales target yet again...

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Pick one:
Let me know if you need more, because it wasn't like it was a big deal or anything.
Every one fo those links is speculative that the 60GB model isn't being made anymore. Even if it were, so what? They're selling fast since the price drop. Where's your missed the sales target evidence? Where's the source for that except that you're making stuff up?
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:35 PM. )

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 07:33 AM

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 07:37 AM

Just look at "some" of the names of systems manufacturers building Blu-ray or HD-DVD into their computers

Blu-ray
Dell
Acer
Gateway
Sony
Alienware
Lenovo
XtremeNotebooks
Eurocom
HD-DVD
Toshiba
HP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 07:42 AM

Acer is format neutral, and already makes HD DVD PCs.
Gateway was just bought by Acer. (I think they're crazy for paying a 57% premium on the stock, but whatever.)
Alienware is owned by Dell.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Acer is format neutral, and already makes HD DVD PCs.
They announced they are going Blu-ray exclusive. I have posted links for the last day now and you chose to let that fly overhead for your own funny reasons.

Alienware is owned by Dell.
So? Still another brand that ships. We're not playing who owns who otherwise Toshiba and Sony would be taken off the list. Consumers don't see who owns who. They look at specs and how many computers are on the shelves. The majority of system builders are backing Blu-ray.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:49 AM

Every one fo those links is speculative that the 60GB model isn't being made anymore. Even if it were, so what? They're selling fast since the price drop. Where's your missed the sales target evidence? Where's the source for that except that you're making stuff up?
Oh. My. God.

Did you even read the first link? My guess is that not even the SCEE President is a good enough source for you:

"SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that he expects the 60GB model of the PS3 to be sold out by the end of this month throughout North America, and Sony won't be making more of them."

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 07:56 AM

"SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that he expects the 60GB model of the PS3 to be sold out by the end of this month throughout North America, and Sony won't be making more of them."
Why hasn't this been reported more widely?

ps3 sold out - Google News

Only one link on that page.

And what does it have to do with your sourceless and baseless...

Looks like they missed a sales target yet again...
Show a source for missed sales target. Show how any of what your saying is any disadvantage to Blu-ray.

Back on topic, the PS3 continues widens Blu-ray ownership regardless of what you make up.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 07:59 AM

Why hasn't this been reported more widely?

ps3 sold out - Google News

Only one link on that page.

And what does it have to do with your sourceless and baseless...

Show a source for missed sales target. Show how any of what your saying is any disadvantage to Blu-ray.

Back on topic, the PS3 continues widens Blu-ray ownership regardless of what you make up.
Uh, it *WAS* widely reported. What rock were you living under? And lets try a more reasonable google search:
ps3 discontinued - Google News

Quite a bit more hits, don't you think? And that only comes up with the stories from the past month - this stuff was announced at E3.

The source for the sales target is the freaking SCEE President that you quoted in your post. Maybe you should try some basic reading comprehension.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 08:04 AM

The source for the sales target is the freaking SCEE President that you quoted in your post. Maybe you should try some basic reading comprehension.
I asked for a quote, why is it wrong for Sony to sell out of 60GB models and lower the 80GB model's price, and WTMF does it put Blu-ray at a disadvantage when more PS3s have been moved than any HD-DVD player?

Also from that first article you adamantly made me read

The move is a brilliant one for Sony
Try reading your own links.

And just to quote you, you're the one saying in another thread right now how you're not going to support NBC Universal's $1.99 per TV show price and will go back to downloading torrents.

What a great supporter of HD-DVD you are

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 08:09 AM

I asked for a quote and WTMF does it put Blu-ray at a disadvantage when more PS3s have been moved than any HD-DVD player?
It puts Blu-Ray at a disadvantage because it makes the PS3 less of a trojan horse the Blu-Ray Group had hoped it would be.

Sony had promised the movie studios 6 million ps3 sales by March of this year and they *still* aren't there yet. (Want a source? Google it and you'll get lots of hits) There's only so much Sony can disappoint the studios with before they start moving to the more viable option.

And just to quote you, you're the one saying in another thread right now how you're not going to support NBC Universal's $1.99 per TV show price and will go back to downloading torrents.

What a great supporter of HD-DVD you are
That's not true at all. I'm starting to think you actually have a reading comprehension problem.

NBC Universal is not renewing their iTunes contract because they want to *increase* prices. Apple is fighting on the side of the consumer to keep prices down and NBC is not willing to compromise. Since I *can't* buy through iTunes as of December I will be torrenting their shows. It has nothing to do with my support of HD DVD, it has to do with NBC's support of me and other consumers.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 08:18 AM

It puts Blu-Ray at a disadvantage because it makes the PS3 less of a trojan horse the Blu-Ray Group had hoped it would be.
Your own links represented optimistic opinion and the first link your asked me to read twice, quote, said "The move is a brilliant one for Sony"

Sony had promised the movie studios 6 million ps3 sales by March of this year and they *still* aren't there yet.
Who seriously gives a **** if they aren't there yet (their sales targets was never an issue for me, although I was surprised to see they had a 61% increase last month). They sell more PS3s than there are HD-DVD players in consumer hands. That's on top of all the stand alone Blu-ray players and computer systems with Blu-ray.

I'm starting to think you actually have a reading comprehension problem.
Coming from the person who linked to the aforementioned article that congratulated Sony for selling out of 60GB models and streamlining their PS3 line, it seems you have the reading problems.

NBC Universal is not renewing their iTunes contract because they want to *increase* prices.
They want to increase prices from a measely $1.99 and you go mad and say you're going to "go back to torrents". Why don't you go buy HD-DVDs instead if you're such a great supporter?

Jeez, HD-DVD really does cause mental illness.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 08:33 AM

Your own links represented optimistic opinion and the first link your asked me to read twice, quote, said "The move is a brilliant one for Sony"
Nice try. They said that in regards to cutting costs while keeping a $599 price point. It's a brilliant move in that they may actually start to make money on their machines soon.

Who seriously gives a **** if they aren't there yet (their sales targets was never an issue for me, although I was surprised to see they had a 61% increase last month). They sell more PS3s than there are HD-DVD players in consumer hands. That's on top of all the stand alone Blu-ray players and computer systems with Blu-ray.
I don't, but the studios that were promised numbers might. Just like the studios that were promised BD+ and interactive features may be a bit upset that those features still aren't there yet.

Coming from the person who linked to the aforementioned article that congratulated Sony for selling out of 60GB models and streamlining their PS3 line, it seems you have the reading problems.
Here's a more accurate quote:
"Whether or not you see this as brilliant product management or evil trickery will likely depend on how you view Sony, but one thing is clear: if you want dedicated hardware for backwards compatibility support, the 60GB unit is your only option, and supplies are limited."

And I never once said anything about the move being a bad one for Sony. Just mentioned that once they run out of the 60gb all that will be left are the $599 80gb PS3s. It *is* a brilliant move by Sony because they get to have a fire sale to clear out current inventory, then cut costs and increase prices.

They want to increase prices from a measely $1.99 and you go mad and say you're going to "go back to torrents". Why don't you go buy HD-DVDs instead if you're such a great supporter?
Uh, I do. Heroes is great - how does it look on your PS3? Oh right...

Jeez, HD-DVD really does cause mental illness.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 08:38 AM

Bollocks snipped

Uh, I do. Heroes is great - how does it look on your PS3? Oh right...
You admitted piracy (going back to torrents) because any price over $1.99 is a con. I'm reporting you to an anti-piracy unit. Don't blame me if they ask for your IP address. Careful who you **** around with in the future. I don't debate with idiots who play with the truth and waste my time.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 09:04 AM

You admitted piracy (going back to torrents) because any price over $1.99 is a con. I'm reporting you to an anti-piracy unit. Don't blame me if they ask for your IP address. Careful who you **** around with in the future. I don't debate with idiots who play with the truth and waste my time.
Back to the ignore list you go.

It's too bad the rational Blu-Ray fans aren't as vocal as you are - we could actually have a decent discussion here.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 09:10 AM

Reported. Not to MacNN.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 09:28 AM

Sorry guys... it's a format war, I'm not going to take it personal. I still view Blu-ray as winning for numerous reasons. I don't think the PS3 will be an trojen horse, but I still view it as a WONDERFUL system. If I was going to go HD (I'm very budget conscious) I would look at the $299 HD-DVD players, and the $499 PS3...

In my cheap mind, I would get a HD player AND a high end game system for only $200 more. Heck... an Apple TV is $299.

Also, more of the popular films are Blu-ray only (I've also looked over my $300+ DVD collection to see how many of my movies would be Blu-ray only, both or HD-DVD only. I would say that about 33% would be HD-DVD only, and the rest would fall in the both/blu-ray only camp.

I find that significant.

Also, regarding the "HD-DVD has more features and is easier to program for..." etc. etc. I don't really care so much. I'll watch the extras if I really like the film, but for the most part, I just want to watch the movie in the best possible way, and both formats seem to be about the same in that department (blu-ray technically could be of a higher quality).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 09:54 AM

Acer has announced Blu-ray support. However, Acer has not announced Blu-ray exclusivity. The specific word they use is that they are "adding" Blu-ray products to their PCs.

Anyways, it would seem there will be no inexpensive Funai BD player any time soon. From a DVD Times hardware reviewer:

I was at the Funai area at IFA about 10 minutes ago, and saw their prototype BD player. It looks far from complete, as it runs off what looks like a PC power supply.

I asked the rep when it'd be coming out and at what price. He said that there's still nothing solid, because it wasn't clear which format would win. I asked him, "So Funai will only jump in when it's clear that one format has won?" - to which he said yes.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2007, 09:56 AM

I actually thought this thread might remain more civil than many of those I find on the internet debating the blu vs red camps. How silly was that?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I would say that about 33% would be HD-DVD only, and the rest would fall in the both/blu-ray only camp.

I find that significant.
Depends - how much of your collection would be available for both? If 50% are neutral then only 17% would be Blu-Ray only...

But it's probably a bit higher if you already chose BD.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 10:12 AM

Nearly 45%+ would have been BD only. I haven't purchased anything, but still believe Blu-ray will win. Who knows...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 10:41 AM

Toshiba unveiled some new slim HD DVD drives today at IFA:
Toshiba unveils slim HD DVD-Writer for the man-purse - Crave at CNET.co.uk

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 11:06 AM

Toshiba unveiled some new slim HD DVD drives today at IFA:
Toshiba unveils slim HD DVD-Writer for the man-purse - Crave at CNET.co.uk
Nice, but I'll be more impressed when they put out a slot load drive, preferably 9.5 mm.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Acer has announced Blu-ray support. However, Acer has not announced Blu-ray exclusivity. The specific word they use is that they are "adding" Blu-ray products to their PCs.
They joined BDA.

Notebook computer maker Acer joins Blu-ray Disc Assn

Computer maker Acer Inc. has joined the Blu-ray Disc Assn., which counts more than 170 consumer electronics firms as members.

Acer is considered the No. 1 notebook computer brand in Europe. Recently, Acer said it intended to acquire computer maker Gateway.

“We’re delighted to welcome Acer to the Blu-ray Disc Assn.,” said Victor Matsuda, chairman of BDA’s Global Promotions Committee. “The addition of Acer provides one more sign of the growing momentum behind Blu-ray Disc and, more importantly, is a significant advantage for consumers, as it further expands the already broad options available to consumers in the personal computer space.”"
Nice try, Eug.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 11:30 AM

Confirmed - From IFA's HD DVD presentation today:

"Acer, HP, Samsung, Asus, Rock, LG, Gateway, Alpine, Onkyo. All companies who are working with HD-DVD."

Like I said, Acer is format neutral... and they just bought Gateway too. Next time you might want to research your claims a little more thoroughly.

Also from the presentation:

"From Q4 onwards HD-DVD will be mainstream across Toshiba notebooks. This is because HD-DVD has a 70% market share of European IT market and they want to keep that. The pricing is key. It'll be available on sub-1000 euro laptops."

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 11:32 AM

Dude, chill out. Why do you have to be such a prick? Keep calling people names and I'll report you to your mom.

"Lady, I don't know what is up with your son, but I think you should have a talk with him."

"Oh, he's just doing what boys do. It's puberty. I promise I'll have a talk with him in the morning. Just come back to bed."

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 11:32 AM

You don't have to be BluRay exclusive to join BDA, do you?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Not at all.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, of course not.

---

I'm truly surprised Funai won't be releasing their BD player any time soon. This leaves a big hole at the Blu-ray lower end pricing, when $149-199 HD DVD players will be available.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 11:40 AM

LOL, thanks Eug.

Funniest expo account ever!!!

HD-DVD finally gets on stage at IFA and everyone laughs at them and walks out

We're watching a bit of his music DVD. He's no Take That, and he looks a bit like a rough Gordan Ramsey. I'm not keen.
They've got the movie voice over man using words like "cut throatier". I like HD-DVD more already. Car chases are high speedier. Yay. We must take the red pill, in the style of Neo. These guys are funny.
Ooh, we're onto the Paramount and Dreamworks news last week (dropping Bluray). They've got the VP of marketing for Paramount. Wonder if he'll take questions on rumoured sweeteners...

He's left the stage. That was quick. Clearly he's not taking questions!
Everyone's leaving.
HD-DVD offers more possibilities for live music DVDs. More quality, more interactivity, more value to the consumers. God, they're talking about a guy called Herbert Gronenmeyer.
Blood Diamond on HD-DVD will feature things like voting on issues brought up in the film. Huh. Slavery. Good or bad?
He's also labouring the point that 30GB is more than enough space.
The HD-DVD player for Xbox sees a price decrease to 179 euros. You'll also get 5 free titles with this one as well. This is seen by him to be the easiest way to get into HD. (Clearly not if you're not a gamer. And, this directly contradicts what the previous guy said about gamers not actually being a massive market for HD-DVD
There's a slide of the supporting studios and manufacturers. Interstingly, some names are shared from Blu-rays conference ie Studio Canal and Pathe.
Judging from that laughable presentation I doubt they knew Acer had joined the BDA.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM

IMHO, Blu-ray would start locking in many more people if they offered a $299-$349 stand alone player. I think that's a key point at this point in time. I'm of the opinion that most consumers still don't know the difference and only high end and very early adopters are jumping in at this point.

Ultra cheap, IMHO, isn't as critical... but it will be in the 2008 holiday season.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 11:52 AM

Judging from that laughable presentation I doubt they knew Acer had joined the BDA.
Heh. I actually expected that response. Thanks for not letting me down.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 02:10 PM

Super Mario wins for "Most juvenile banter"

Even if you reported him to an anti-piracy group (which I doubt you did) will it make those angry feelings go away?

Not likely.

I'd like HD DVD to win since I could get the 360 drive, but I don't care either way. That fact that Mario gets so angry in a tech thread (that's on page 59 mind you) shows that he is either a small pubescent boy, or just an adult that's really mad at the world.

*TL
Aug 31, 2007, 03:43 PM

This weeks' (ending 8.26) sales numbers are out, 68/32 for Blu-ray.

Next week's numbers will be the ones to watch, since HD has two high-profile exclusives (Heroes and Blades of Glory) and BD has no new releases. Moreover, it will be the first test of HD's new strategy: advanced features that BD supposedly can't match (Heroes) and Paramount exclusivity (Blades). I'd expect HD to get at least 45%, and we'll see how it shakes out from there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 04:07 PM

I was predicting HD only to get about 36%-ish. If they get over 40% I will be pleasantly surprised.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 04:33 PM

This weeks' (ending 8.26) sales numbers are out, 68/32 for Blu-ray.
Better than I thought.

TG Daily - Acer joins Blu-ray camp

At the time of the announcement it was unclear if Acer will exclusively support Blu-ray or if the company will also support HD DVD drives throughout the company. The question gets especially interesting when it comes to Gateway, which will be acquired by Acer. Gateway so far has been offering Blu-ray and HD DVD drives and Acer's decision potentially could mean that Gateway will drop HD DVD support in the not too distant future.

We were not able to reach Acer and Gateway representatives to shed more light on the future of HD DVD drives as part of their product families.

A spokesperson for the Blu-ray Disc Association told TG Daily said that it was "her understanding" that Acer would exclusively support Blu-ray.
More on this as it happens.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Super Mario wins for "Most juvenile banter"
Yeah I think I'll stop teasing these children who say they support HD-DVD but that they are going "back" to downloading torrents. Let them go back to virtual masturbating with their Wii and leave me to go back to serious mode.

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 04:47 PM

Yeah. We'll be playing Halo3 and BioShock. You can go back to playing... um... PS2 games I guess.

And while we're downloading torrents, you can start a petition to Apple to let NBC, Sony and Universal rape their iTunes customers for $9 an episode.

Man, your allowance must be huge to afford all these big boy toys, huh?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Yeah. We'll be playing Halo3 and BioShock. You can go back to playing... um... PS2 games I guess.
That's the game commercial (BioShock) I was talking about. Brand new game coming out for the Wii, 360 and PS2, not the PS3

and just to whack the hornets nest more: I have a coworker who own as PS3 and an XBox 360 with the HD DVD add on. I asked him which he thought was better and he said "hands down , HD DVD". His opinion, not mine. I have not had the opportunity to view either on my set so I can only judge by what I see in the stores, and I don't see a spit worth of difference.

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
snip crap that reveals how this attack on Blu-ray is really all about Wii boys hating on Playstations

And while we're downloading torrents...
Condoning piracy again. Movies, games and money issues mentioned in the same breath too. Tut, tut.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:37 PM. )

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 05:11 PM

I don't want to derail the thread too much from HD/Pooray, petty name calling and threats of reportation to Hollywood authorities, but BioShock is probably the hottest thing since breast implants right now and it's exclusive to the xbox and windows. Probably through some sort of ILLEGAL cash sweetners from MS. Oh, and if you disagree with anything in my post, you're a freakin LIAR. LIAR! FANBOI!

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 05:16 PM

Condoning piracy again. Movies, games and money issues mentioned in the same breath too. Tut, tut.
<Juvenile and obscene rant deleted by the management.>
( Last edited by ghporter; Aug 31, 2007 at 05:23 PM. )

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 05:20 PM

lol
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:37 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That's the game commercial (BioShock) I was talking about. Brand new game coming out for the Wii, 360 and PS2, not the PS3

and just to whack the hornets nest more: I have a coworker who own as PS3 and an XBox 360 with the HD DVD add on. I asked him which he thought was better and he said "hands down , HD DVD". His opinion, not mine. I have not had the opportunity to view either on my set so I can only judge by what I see in the stores, and I don't see a spit worth of difference.
So what? Did you ask him WHY?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 05:32 PM

I'm not happy with Universal cutting their iTunes downloads. I had season passes to both BSG and The Office. Obviously they won't be getting my money for either tv series.

Doesn't change my support of HD-DVD though. I've always been about supporting HD-DVD for it's technical and price merits, not the studios. Besides, with HD-DVD I could technically buy the HD-DVD's for BSG and The Office anyway and manage copy them onto a computer. The only downside is I can't get the episodes the day after.

Or maybe it's just time to invest in a TiVo or a EyeTV...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules