Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > No Country for Old Men's Sky

No Country for Old Men's Sky (Page 2)
sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2016, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's not like they can't do both. And they could certainly set it to very low probabilities of occurring. It almost becomes conspicuous in its absence.
Hilariously enough I was on a planet last night with beautiful blue skies. It's still on my PS4 so you'll have to wait for proof.

------------------------------

I don't really like my new ship. It's too ugly. The thought of re-crafting everything I use now in another ship? Unbearable.

Amazing waterworld archipelagos red foliage world

The last shot of the Red Fighter (I really want a matte black fighter of similar build and more slots)

Another favorite shot SPACE ANOMALY

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2016, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Hilariously enough I was on a planet last night with beautiful blue skies. It's still on my PS4 so you'll have to wait for proof.
Ha, I don't think we're in place where I need proof. Good to know they do exist.

Are there planets where you don't need life support (or whatever you call your suit systems)

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2016, 06:07 PM

Unfortunately no, even on "peaceful" planets your suit's life support systems will need to be recharged. The additional hazard protection is what you won't need on nice planets, but usually nice weather planets are listed as "low atmosphere" and actually put slightly more strain on your base life support system, which is kind of a baffling choice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2016, 10:07 PM

Unfortunately no, even on "peaceful" planets your suit's life support systems will need to be recharged. The additional hazard protection is what you won't need on nice planets, but usually nice weather planets are listed as "low atmosphere" and actually put slightly more strain on your base life support system, which is kind of a baffling choice.
Ok, but there is variation. Who knows, maybe its a bug.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2016, 11:41 AM

sek, I can't remember if you Reddit or not, but you really need to put these shots in an imgur collection and post them. There are some pretty awesome pictures there, especially when compared to the mediocre stuff that gets posted in the NMS sub.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
sek, I can't remember if you Reddit or not, but you really need to put these shots in an imgur collection and post them. There are some pretty awesome pictures there, especially when compared to the mediocre stuff that gets posted in the NMS sub.
I do reddit, perhaps a "best-of" imugr album post will come next.

-------------------------------------------

The final image dump, with bonus recent shots.

Sometimes still frames don't do this game justice. The every-changing lighting conditions can produce some starkly different landscapes. Above before and after was taken no less than a minute apart.

Another contender for best shot

The McFridge™

Blue skies!

Fin

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2016, 03:09 PM

Fin
Ker-pow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2016, 02:20 PM

*beating a dead horse*

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2016, 08:01 PM

I did it.

I bought it yesterday after reading about the update. I'm glad I didn't play the game until now, partially because I got it for $30, but also because I don't have some of the bad experiences of the early buyers. Performance seems decent, except when I'm being attacked by mobs of angry creatures.

I don't have many observations yet, with the exception being the freaking item management. Upgrades to my equipment take up my precious few carry slots? Thinking about modding this out. The only other issue is that I'm currently borderline-stranded on a planet full of the angriest little creatures I've ever seen. They look like spiders with Mars Attacks! exposed brains. Not sure how to proceed without repeatedly dying.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2016, 06:08 PM

I did it.

I bought it yesterday after reading about the update. I'm glad I didn't play the game until now, partially because I got it for $30, but also because I don't have some of the bad experiences of the early buyers. Performance seems decent, except when I'm being attacked by mobs of angry creatures.
Honestly post-1.1 NMS for 30 bucks approaches the "worth it" status.

I don't have many observations yet, with the exception being the freaking item management. Upgrades to my equipment take up my precious few carry slots? Thinking about modding this out. The only other issue is that I'm currently borderline-stranded on a planet full of the angriest little creatures I've ever seen. They look like spiders with Mars Attacks! exposed brains. Not sure how to proceed without repeatedly dying.
Bummer starter world. Are you doing Survival mode by any chance?

Item management is almost a misnomer. You really shouldn't be holding on to anything in your suit inventory all the time unless it recharges your suit/mining laser. But yes, by all means mod it if you can't soldier through. Waaaaaay more stuff stacks in 1.1, so it's actually a much better system if you can believe it. Pre-1.1 suit upgrades were literally everywhere, you just needed the credits, and the price went up substantially each time.

Some advice: Photon Cannon for your ship is butt, build and max out the Phase Beam, locks on automatically and has incredible damage. Boltcaster for the Mining tool is butt, just install damage upgrades for the mining laser. Both these techniques save you valuable slot space and simplify your attacks. Once you install something it's in that slot for good. When you destroy it you don't get back all of the materials you had to put in.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2017, 05:58 PM

General sek gaming/computing news:

I have another PS4, unfortunately the games were mostly all stolen too, but I still have my DL'ed games and was able to grab my saves off the cloud. I also have a comparable iMac (though no SSD, soooo slooow) in the interim while I work with getting my sister's 2013 27" going. The games they didn't steal included NMS so along with Rocket League I have dove back into this game big time.

---------------------------------

There have now been two very large updates for NMS, Foundation and Pathfinder, and damned if I never thought I'd say it..... but Hello Games have stayed true to their word and continue to add large and meaningful content to the bones of this game.

Foundation added base building, but really that doesn't do it justice. It changes the entire mindset of NMS, now you have a home you can warp back from any system. You can build storage (!!!!) containers that hold large quantities of 5 items per container, you can have a landing pad to facilitate fuel-free launches, you can grow almost all of rare-ish items you need to collect, and most importantly eventually craft your own trading terminal to quickly sell and/or buy useful materials. To be honest the addition of claiming a home planet and easily being able to return to it changed the entire game.

Pathfinder brought "exo-craft" into the mix, along with quality of life improvements across the board, including a proper photo mode that pauses time, clears the UI, and allows you to be the camera with full range of motion. You can even change time of day, focal length, field of view, add filters, etc.... The vehicles themselves are quite fun to drive. When taking off in your ship requires energy you don't have, using the vehicles to search for goodies in the neighborhood make sense, especially in Survival. They also use the same fuel as your ship launching, but considerably less, again, especially in survival. Another "finally" moment is a proper list of the systems/planets you've visited and the ability to waypoint a previous star system in the map and actually navigate to it....I know that sounds pretty boring, but that shit has not been feasible until this last update. Now you can think "that hostile planet that had all the albumen pearls a few jumps back...I think I'll go there again," instead of fruitlessly looking through the star map for which way you came.

---------------------------------

So with all that said I am currently a couple weeks into a new character playing survival mode. I figured with all the changes to how blueprints and upgrades, etc.... playing my pretty much maxed character wouldn't really allow me to appreciate the way NMS handles nowadays. I have also read plenty of accounts from folks who tried Survival for the first time and said it really changed their experience as well. So I figured a fresh start in hard mode may make this go around have a bit more staying power.

It's much harder, much much harder. Normal ship launch: 25% of full charge. Survival ship launch: 100% of full charge. So gobbling up any Plutonium you see is priority one, priority two is keeping your suit power from running out, which is does a whole hell of a lot faster if you sprint around and/or use the jetpack. A leisurely stroll is best to conserve energy, but if the planet you're on has any hazards that meter is going to peter out faster, but if you run the two meters will both be gone during any decent stint outside. Another big change is the start of the game. Before you spawned at your crashed ship and had to fix it, or if you pre-ordered like me, you could just summon that working ship with a hyperdrive already in it. Now when I redeemed the ship code it was a full 16 minute walk away, on a hostile acid planet. 16 minutes is a best case estimate at your maximum travel speed, which of course is impossible with limited energy for both life support and hazard protection. I died about 6 times before reaching the ship, I died a few times before even being able to save the game, forcing me to start at the beginning again. Then after saving at my new ship, I had to fully fuel the launchers just to jump off this shit world. I died several times during that process as well. Finally I was able to jump off world, only to be greeted with no more jump power and completely decimated survival resources. I harvested asteroids for a bit and then a pirate jumped in and destroyed me, making my ship now have a broken hyperdrive.

At this point I've got a swell base on a calm planet not actively trying to kill me and a couple exocraft to tool around in. Photos later.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 16, 2017, 07:31 PM

I figured.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2017, 12:49 PM

The games they didn't steal included NMS so along with Rocket League I have dove back into this game big time.
That gave me a mental image of thieves rummaging through your property only to find a boxed copy of No Many's Sky, retching in disgust, and tossing it over their shoulder before continuing on their nefarious way.

Thorzdad
Jul 30, 2018, 05:25 PM

Bump

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2018, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the bump!

Anywhoo, some of you may have heard that NMS got a rather large overhaul lately called NEXT. I'm here to tell you it is quite extensive and also quite good. If you were on the fence for this game and you can get it much cheaper than 60 dollars I would finally give it the official Fatty Seal of Fat-proval™

The change log is online if you're curious, I won't waste my time trying to get to it all, but this is what the original game should have been. That doesn't completely let them off the hook but Hello Games have kept their word on this and continue to improve the game and, more importantly, add a ton of content to it as well. This is one of the greatest gaming comebacks of all time IMO.

With my spare time in dwindling supply (Zoey is 6mo!) I am utterly ruthless when it comes to entertainment these days, and a fresh start of NMS has really hit the spot. A PS4 friend from the BF4 days jumped into my game and I helped him get over the hump and fix his ship, worked quite flawlessly. Another night I helped defend a freighter being attacked by pirates and to thank me for my efforts I was gifted the whole freighter! This random encounter is quite common now and I think it's to get people familiar with the freighter mechanics early on in the game instead of having to grind for tens of millions of credits to buy one.

Only time will tell if it has more staying power, but for now I look forward to firing it up at night.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2018, 11:23 AM

The change log is online if you're curious, I won't waste my time trying to get to it all, but this is what the original game should have been. That doesn't completely let them off the hook but Hello Games have kept their word on this and continue to improve the game and, more importantly, add a ton of content to it as well. This is one of the greatest gaming comebacks of all time IMO.
I still feel bad for them. The Sony partnership was the biggest blessing -> curse transition I've seen in second-party gaming history. I haven't tried the update yet, but hopefully will after I get through some of my backlog.

I really hope NMS succeeds with enough people to pick up Hello Games' up after the earlier debacle.

With my spare time in dwindling supply (Zoey is 6mo!) I am utterly ruthless when it comes to entertainment these days, and a fresh start of NMS has really hit the spot.
Ha... that's awesome. I've been mostly off the forums for the past year, so I had no idea. Congrats! Also, the entertainment time returns (to about 50% of its glory days) after about the 18-month mark.

Forum Links
Forum Rules