Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > BenQ PD3200U 32 inch 4K Designer Monitor (Review) - Should I / Shouldn't I ?

BenQ PD3200U 32 inch 4K Designer Monitor (Review) - Should I / Shouldn't I ?
Anto39x
Nov 21, 2018, 04:57 PM

Hi there....

My Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt version) is giving me trouble for the past two years, as it can erratically flicker on and off. Recently I upgraded my old graphics card that came with my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) to a new Sapphire PULSE RX580 and upgraded to macOS Mojave. I absolutely love the update and my computer is feeling so snappy and responsive... that I feel if I get a new 4K monitor I pretty much have a revamped systematic m that will keep me happy for another few years... especially until I get the see to the new MacPro 2019 offering.

I had hoped the new graphics card might fix the flickering on and off issue with my monitor but it didnt’t. I read on a previous Forum Thread, this issue could be a power supply issue within the monitor itself.

I have never purchased anything other than an Apple Monitor... and as this is core to my workflow.. I need to be sure I'mn getting as good a performance I can without going all out crazy on budget as I know also that Apple is making a new standalone monitor for the new MacPro 2019.

I have trawled YouTube and Review sites for a reasonable 4K monitor and the BenQ PD3200U 32 inch 4K Designer Monitor is the one that I felt ticket a lot of boxes for me, but I have read that it doesn't support Adobe RGB, I have always used this... should I back off on this monitor... or can anyone else recommend this or a similar monitor for a similar type budget that does support Adobe RGB.

I'm an old skool graphic designer and the core apps I use are: Photoshop CC (Latest Subscription Version), Illustrator CC (Latest Subscription Version), QuarkXpress 2018, Adobe Acrobat DC Pro (Latest Subscription Version), Adobe Lightroom CC (Latest Subscription Version) and minimal Final Cut Pro X.

I would be grateful of any feedback comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Anthony
( Last edited by Anto39x; Nov 21, 2018 at 05:18 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2018, 06:17 PM

I use a pair of BenQ BL3201PH 4K monitors. I've been happy enough with them. I'm not a graphics designer, but these are the first monitors I haven't bothered to color-calibrate. At least they match each other out of the box.

What was your previous graphics card? I've considered buying an RX-580 as an upgrade from my HD-7970. Also, do you get boot screens on your RX-580? ie - apple logo, progress bar, boot-drive selector when you hold 'option'?

Anto39x  (op)
Nov 22, 2018, 02:05 PM

Hi reader50

My previous card was the ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB. Make sure you get the PULSE version of the RX580, that's officially listed by Apple on their getting ready for macOS Mojave micro-site... I have no issues... just works

No boot screen alright.... but I had researched and knew that.... I don't really need that... and if I do I can always revert to my old Radeon HD 5870 card... I was surprised just at how easy that whole upgrade was... 10mins max... and boom.. I was macOS Mojave ready!!

Let me know if you wanna know any extra info.... my recent upgrade to macOS Mojave has been the most satisfying in years... and has made my vintage MacPro 12 Core feel new again!! lol

Regards,
Anthony

ZacharySimon1
Banned
Dec 23, 2018, 09:57 AM

That’s what exactly happening with my laptop too but I now I feel relaxed because in this article I’ve seen people contributed their time to tell a solution which is great.

Only because of your blog I could solve this issue of my laptop today so thank you very much Anthony for sharing it.

andi*pandi
Dec 23, 2018, 10:34 AM

Amazing that this post about monitors for a desktop helped you and your laptop! Our humble blog thanks you for your visit!

Simon.se
Baninated
Dec 26, 2018, 01:14 AM

Thank for sharing such a great post.
I absolutely love the update and my computer is feeling so fast. I feel relaxed because in this article we prefer to visit SPAMLINK website to get useful material for students to manage all type of work and projects as well. I could solve this issue of my laptop today so thank you very much Anthony for sharing it. Keep it up!
( Last edited by reader50; Dec 26, 2018 at 04:57 AM. )

AstonM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2019, 04:38 PM

I use PD3200 with RX-580. No problems with modern games (I'm selecting 2K instead for 4K for better FPS). The monitor is connected to PC and Mac - both give nice picture quality. The monitor disadvantage is extremely narrow viewing angles. Even sitting in front of it, you will see color shift in corners

jslicey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2019, 11:37 AM

My good buddy has one of these monitors and it's frickin' badass ... looks so sharp!

Forum Links
Forum Rules