Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stability

Stability
yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 01:21 AM

I keep reading about stability problems with X, but I personally have had none at all. In fact, except for one kernel panic on the 24th when I installed X, I have not had a single crash of the OS. OmniWeb has crashed a couple of times. Mail has had a problem or two. IE has quit on me a couple of times. But the system itself just plugs away. The same is true for the classic environment, which seems more stable than 9.1 by itself, at least in my set up. I imagine part of that is because I installed 9.1 on the X partition as a brand new system, and have added only one extension so I can download images from my camera (not supported by Image Capture, alas). I spend more or less all my time in X, going into the 9.1 partition rarely, just to use the scanner or to burn a CD and to update software.

Anyway, is my experience of stability under X unusual?

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 01:30 AM

It's definitely not unusual. I've had NO crashes AT ALL in Mac OS X. The only time I've ever experienced a kernel panic was in OS X DP4 when I chose "Mac Help" from the Help menu.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2001, 11:14 AM

I've never had a kernel panic either, not even in DP4.

I admit, the fact that some people crash all the time while others never do is confusing. I think, though, that it might have something to do with Apple's firmware patch. I get the feeling the real reason they were disabling RAM was that it was causing instability in OSX, not OS9 (this would be consistent with the claims of people who say their RAM "was working fine" even before the update, and why Apple said it was needed for OSX compatibility).

How about it? Of those who are having kernel panics, who's installed the firmware patch and who hasn't? For the record, by Beige G3 doesn't work with the patch anyway, so I don't have it installed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2001, 11:35 AM

wow yoyo52!

your signature graphic has got to be the worst piece of computer generated art i've seen in a long while. it's so crap it's almost a work of genius!

have you got anymore of this stuff online? light like that shouldn't be hidden under a bushel
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

neoz_2
Apr 13, 2001, 11:50 AM

I never did install the firmware update and I have only had one kernel panic which was in the Public Beta. By the way, I still have just the original 128 megs of ram that came from Apple.

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2001, 11:59 AM

Your situation is not alien to me. I've only had one KP, which was caused by trying to use my SCSI CD drive on a non-terminated SCSI chain (doh!).

garretwp
Apr 13, 2001, 12:05 PM

The only time i have a kernal panic is when i try to plug in an usb device. I wonder what is up with that?

Garrett

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2001, 01:02 PM

Altough I had some strange glitches which could only be solved by logging out and in again I never had a crash on my Cube so far which is running build 4K78.Only booted back to 9.1 one day for some DVD testing.

I had two KP's on my Ti400 when I stressed the system with a pile of PC cards I had around.
I had two "hangs" with wake from sleep and firewire/usb devices attached but they were addressed with the onofficial 4L7 update. I had X running for one week without any big problems, now I'm switching back and forth between OS 9.1 and OSX because I need to have some work done which works better with OS9.1 at the moment. I'm using X more frequent every day :-)

------------------

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by madra [again!]:
wow yoyo52!

your signature graphic has got to be the worst piece of computer generated art i've seen in a long while. it's so crap it's almost a work of genius!

have you got anymore of this stuff online? light like that shouldn't be hidden under a bushel
Thank you. I worked very hard at getting that effect

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2001, 01:38 AM

Out of all my experiments with OS X, it really is amazing that I've only managed to have 1 kernel panic. I think I caused it be turning on my Lacie USB Burner in build 4k46...

I'm extremely happy with the stability of OS X on my Rev A iMac.

Ben

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 01:51 AM

If you're extremely bored you can watch my system uptime statistics at this url:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=pod.ath.cx

The X's track uptime, the green bar is an average.

Tonight I rebooted for the first time in six days because of the new 10.0.0.1 update, but stability has been pretty good despite me running a fairly active webserver among other things that people pull off my machine.

Downtime is usually when I'm working on music or installing things that require a reboot.

Enjoy.

ntsc
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 02:00 PM

Never had any problems with Mac OS X 10.0/10.0.1 not one crash. OmniWeb CF3 has been especially stable for me.

One kernal panic ever and that was in Public � after I launched 18 native apps and Classic all at the same time with only 64MB of RAM. Fortunately I upgraded to 320MB RAM so I can do that kind of thing now

------------------
"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance"
-Aesop
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Forum Links
Forum Rules