Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Should Apple change Mac OS X's name?

View Poll Results: Should Apple rename Mac OS X?
Poll Options:
Yes. Rename the OS to more accurately reflect the multiplicity of devices it runs on. 1 votes (8.33%)
No. Keep the name the same on Macs, and name it something else on other devices. 11 votes (91.67%)
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
Should Apple change Mac OS X's name?
Visnaut
Senior User
May 13, 2007, 07:43 PM

Do you think Apple should rename or rebrand Mac OS X? It's already running on a set-top box, and it will be powering the iPhone, blurring the lines even further as to what the definition of "Mac" OS X is.

Given that Leopard will in eventually be running on all of those devices, do you think Apple will unify the nomenclature of its OS, and simply refer to it as OS (or similar)?
( Last edited by Visnaut; May 13, 2007 at 07:54 PM. )

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 13, 2007, 08:34 PM

Well I didn't vote, because I don't see any problem with keeping it OS X for all devices. I certainly don't want to see "OS X", "OS X Mobile", "OS X Media Edition" or similiar for every different device that uses the OS X architecture. What would you suggest as a new name? I don't see how the iPhone and TV blur the lines of what defines the Mac OS. It's not like the interfaces look remotely similiar.

jtrwallace
May 13, 2007, 08:42 PM

I would vote, except I don't have a choice that I want to vote for. I think Mac OS X should be the name of the operating system on all devices running OS X whether they are lite versions or not.

Visnaut  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post
I would vote, except I don't have a choice that I want to vote for. I think Mac OS X should be the name of the operating system on all devices running OS X whether they are lite versions or not.
You're right, I guess I should have added that option. But Apple already refers to the OS on the tv as Apple TV OS, so if they decide to continue their current naming convention, then they probably will drop "Mac" from the name and replace it with the device name.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2007, 01:35 AM

Apple should definitely NOT mess with the name of its OS. Having a unified brand name for this superb OS should not be diluted by different appelations. In fact I think that Apple should emphaisze the CAT name, e. g. Leopard across the board. Leopards are so much more exciting and dymamic then mere vistas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules