Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using Office 98 dictionaries in 2001

Using Office 98 dictionaries in 2001
Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 9, 2001, 11:34 PM

Hey, y'all!

I just purchased Office 2001 to replace Office 98, and was surprised that my old Portuguese Dictionaries which I had used in the previous version of Office, ceased to work in 2001.

I attempted moving them to 2001's proofing folder but that failed, as spell checking of any kind in the portuguese language did not work; words that were obviously mispelt were not underlined and clicking on the spell checker button only revealed a message saying spell check was complete...

I also attempted to replace 2001's entire Proofing folder with the old 98 one, and while the Portuguese spell check did work, I am obviously unable to use all the new english dictionary functions, such as looking up a word, better grammar check, etc...

So does anyone know how to get older international dictionaries to work with Office 2001 completely? Or perhaps when Microsoft will launch a dictionary converter of some kind, or (European) Portuguese version of 2001? Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!

Forum Links
Forum Rules