Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Idea for iCal -> Web alternative

Idea for iCal -> Web alternative
Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 12:10 PM

Currently, the only possibility of viewing an ics file online (to my knowledge) is through a backend server solution; but they're far from perfect. And if I had the luxury of lugging around a PDA, iPod, iBook, or Powerbook, I really wouldn't complain.

I realize there are already free solutions such as iCal Exchange, and My iCal, and that they're still in their infancy, and being improved. They've all given me headaches with recurring events, which sometimes disappear altogether. The best one so far is of course, Apple's .Mac one. But even then, events that do not fall into perfect 30-minute intervals, or overlapping events, all fail to display correctly.

My idea would be for someone to create a nice Flash-driven calendar which parses and displays .ics files on the fly. I suppose that even overlapping multiple calendars � la iCal would be possible! Best of all, you could upload the .swf and .ics's anywhere and run it from most browsers since it's all client-side. I've looked around to see if anything like this exists yet, and even though there are some pretty impressive Flash-driven calendars, i'm pretty sure there aren't any which parse vCalendar (.ics) files.

I'm moderately experienced with Flash and ActionScript, and if I really had the time, I would commit myself to coding something like that. But since time is a resource that I'm quite short on as of late, I'd just thought I'd throw this out there.

And if anyone knows of any decent Windows software for displaying vCalendar files, please share!

Take care!

Forum Links
Forum Rules