Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech Wheel Mouse won't work w/ OS X

Logitech Wheel Mouse won't work w/ OS X
Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 10:49 AM

My gf and I bought a Logitech "Wheel Mouse" at a local computer bargain place. (M/N: M-BD58 P/N: 830386-0000) It's a standard USB mouse that also came with one of those USB to PS/2 adapters. The clerk even tested the mouse on his PC and it did indeed work.

So we take it home, plug it in in to her Ti running 10.2.6, and nothing. The optical sensor does turn on and respond to movement and the light powers down after a short period of inactivity but it simply doesn't move the cursor. We've tried both the Logitech drivers and USB Overdrive, and the results are the same. Upon further investigation, we found it works perfectly well in Mac OS 9, and during the boot disk selection screen when you hold option down during startup.

Does anybody know what's going on? Why doesn't a standard USB mouse work w/ OS X? In my 2 1/2 days of searching I haven't found any other threads or posts with any sort of similar problem. I've even found the mouse for sale on a couple of outdated online Mac stores.

I rarely meet a problem that I can't remedy, but this time i'm thoroughly stumped! We can always return the mouse, but I find it odd how Apple can support this mouse with OS9 and then in the span between 10.0 and 10.2 not include support for it again, without causing a stir.

In any case, hope someone can shed some light on this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules