Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple and 3rd party mobile apps

Apple and 3rd party mobile apps
Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 07:53 AM

The last 24 hours have been nothing short of interesting for iPhone developers. Besides the readily available, and fast improving, software unlock, Greg Joswiak (Apple's VP of Hardware Product Marketing) first confirmed and then backtracked on Apple's neutral stance on 3rd party development.

I do expect Apple to officially support 3rd party apps on the iPhone and iPod at some point. Some even believe that Apple will simply open up the iPhone/iPod touch platform API once Leopard is released; but I don't think they'll be so open-minded about letting developers run amok on their beloved mobile platform. This is something they will be very calculated with in their approach, and the end result may not be what independent developers are looking for.

Here is how I think Apple is going to take this on:

1. Widgets

Picture a "Widgets" application to the iPhone home screen, whereby users can interact with and download iPhone-tailored widgets for free. Think Dashboard, Apple's Widget Downloads Page, and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store all rolled into one. By letting developers make simple widgets for the iPhone, they sap up the pent-up demand for most types of handy applications that users may want, and Apple gets the security sandbox of whatever javascript extensions they choose to support; it's a win-win scenario. Apple already has a Widget development app on the way for Leopard, and they could provide an iPhone widget template along with some helpful documentation.

2. "Made for iPod/iPhone" apps

Apple likes to have absolute control over their handsets. That much is apparent, from their closed API for games on the iPods, lack of any public API for the iPhone, and the "Made for iPod" program. Therefore, to satisfy both their need for platform control and users' needs, I think they'll treat full applications just like iPod accessories, or more accurately, iPod games: make it a requirement to be part of the "Made for iPod" or "Made for iPhone" program. Developers would have to pony up hefty amounts to be able to access developer kits (under strict NDAs, of course) which would rule out almost all but the big players, and any apps that would conflict with Apple and AT&T's relationship (i.e.: VoIP). And only Apple would distribute apps through the iTunes store (maybe even through the Wi-Fi version, or equivalent thereof) and possibly even dictate the acceptable pricing of apps.

Once they've reached step 2, I think they will come down harder on independently developed compilers, toolchains, and applications, in order to protect the investment that "Made for iPhone/iPod" developers make, but with little long-term impact. The community is swift and would react quickly to any attempt by Apple to undermine them.

So there you have it, my beliefs and best educated guesses on Apple's strategy going forward with this. One thing is for sure though: independent development is already very entrenched, and has great community support, so it will most definitely continue and improve over time, regardless of Apple's support.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Sep 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Grammar)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 08:09 AM

Nice, detailed write-up; good suppositions. +5

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 08:16 AM

All glory to the hypnotoad.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 09:24 AM

I think most third party apps will come from google. Apple and google are pretty much in bed together. To keep the lawsuits down, a few others will be aloud to develope though. Wouldn't be surprised if google takes over apple when jobs retires. The way technology is headed, looks like a digital life to log on to something to do things. Time will tell.......
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 10:48 AM

Interesting, bearcatrp. In regards to apps from Google, what did you have in mind? Apple created the maps application on the iPhone and it uses Google's services/servers for all of the data.
I can't picture what else Google could provide for the iPhone. Maybe they could provide their Google Apps, but I think Apple would sooner bring a mobile version of Pages and Numbers to the iPhone so that it would push teh desktop version's sales.

I was thinking of how Apple could intentionally, or unintentionally, break 3rd party apps. Intentionally wouldn't be too difficult, but unintentionally I could see them adding new applications and that maybe breaking stuff like SummerBoard. Recently there was some patent, or something, about a rearangeable SpringBoard. I could see an update like that breaking SummerBoard (and maybe making it obsolete).

I think it would be nice if Apple added an iPhone template (and syncing through iTunes) for widgets.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 03:28 PM

Take a look at More Google Products . See anything there thats missing from the new ipod that has everbody screeming about? Look at some of the other things too. Possible? I don't think google (can't remember the guys name) was put on the board of apple for nothing. Look at what microsoft is trying to do, instead of buying apps, pay as you use, kind of like a service aggreement that you pay so much per month to use ( like office apps, etc.). Would be hard to hack it. Whatcha think?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules