Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't use mac.com account

Can't use mac.com account
yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 08:21 PM

My DSL ISP, Verizon, just decided that it would not allow subscribers to use any domain other than verizon.net for their email. That means that I can receive mail from my mail.mac account, but I can't use it to send mail. In fact, I can't even have my mail.mac account as the return address on email I send through the verizon.net server. I've tried doing it with Entourage and with Eudora, and the mail just gets rejected.

Does anyone have a way of working around that kind of limitation? I hate the username that Verizon gave me, and I just want to have my mail go to and through mac.com. Any suggestions would be welcome!
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 02:22 PM

First response would be to complain to Verizon

While I can understand their reasons for doing this (primarily to counter spam originating in their network), it does hinder some legitimate use.

IMHO, no ISP should implement such a change without leaving some alternative solution. You might want to ask them if they support authenticated SMTP. This uses a different authentication mechanism to validate the user other than checking that the mail is 'FROM:' <username>@verizon.net.

The two common alternatives are 'SMTP Authentication' and 'POP before SMTP'

In SMTP Authentication (known as SMTP AUTH), you configure your mail client to supply your (Verizon) username and password as part of sending any mail. This lets them verify your identity without requiring the 'FROM:' header to match your verizon email address. Mail (Mac OS X), Entourage/Outlook and, I believe, Eudora all support SMTP AUTH.
SMTP AUTH is described in RFC 2554 and was first introduced in March 1999. Consequently, there's no reason why Verizon (or any ISP, for that matter) shouldn't be supporting it.

The second method simply ties your POP and SMTP servers together. When you POP (get) mail, the server marks your IP address as valid for some period of time. The SMTP server will then accept mail from 'valid' addresses. As long as you check mail prior to sending it, you shouldn't have any problem.

Check with Verizon to see if they support either of these options. If not, it may be time to find an alternative DSL provider.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 03:45 PM

Try this. It's what I do and my mac.com account works great.
In your mac.com account set your incoming mail server as mail.mac.com
For your outgoing server use your Verizon smpt server, something like smtp.verizon.net

I'm doing this with Speakeasy DSL in Entourage. Works like a charm.

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. What's turned out to work, in X anyway, is to use Mail.app's mac.com account and then change the verification when sending mail to the verizon settings. However, I cannot make the SMTP Host be the Verizon.net host cause then the mail gets rejected.

One more problem: when I close the preferences in Mail.app, the settings revert back to the mac.com settings. Is there any way to make them keep the verizon information while at the same time having the SMTP host be mac.com?

By the way, I tried the verification routine in Entourage, and it failed. I've tried every combination of verification options with Entourage and none work

<jtw>
Jul 4, 2001, 08:59 PM

I have Verizon DSL as well. Simply use the SMTP Host as smptout.verizon.net and do not authenticate.

works like a charm for me

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by &lt;jtw&gt;:
<STRONG>I have Verizon DSL as well. Simply use the SMTP Host as smptout.verizon.net and do not authenticate.

works like a charm for me </STRONG>
Just tried it with Entourage and it works

Thanks!!

Edit; Tried it with Mail.app on X and it works there too. Just don't let verizon know

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: yoyo52 ]

heavyflab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 09:08 PM

jtw is absolutely correct.

heavyflab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2001, 12:41 PM

FYI...

Verizon also tells you that you should use the mail.com smtp server, not verizon's.

Mail.app is flakey in this regard. My works fine with either smtp server, however I understand that other people see various results.

Try either� whatever works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules