Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail.app and Addressbook pictures (Jaguar)

Mail.app and Addressbook pictures (Jaguar)
David R
Sep 30, 2002, 11:22 PM

I have added several contacts to my addressbook and I put their pictures in there as well. I've been told that mail can display their picture by their message headers, I've even seen some screenshots of this feature. But my messages do not show the pictures.

How do I enable this option? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2002, 04:02 AM

I'm not sure if this is possible without a third party plugin for Mail like this one.

It didn't look that useful to me, I think everyone has to have it for it to work, but I haven't tried it.
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

Marook
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2002, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by David R:
How do I enable this option? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mail should show the pictures entered in Address Book, if the person uses an email-addy that is on the persons card.

Mail should also show the picture from a .Mac account, if the person has put a picture on his/her .Mac account.

If you would like to use pictures not in these terms, you need to use MailPictures. I do, and it works very well.
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

Saltire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2002, 10:16 AM

Yes, Mail should show the pictures of contacts stored in your Address Book on incoming emails from those people.
These pictures should be automaticaly stored in ~/Images/People with the filename an exact copy of the person's email address inorder for Mail to access them.
For some reason this dosen't seem to work very well and you may have to copy the images there manualy:
Create a folder called Images in your ~/Library, and inside that create a folder called People.
Then download a small app called AddressImageExtractor from http://www.dasgenie.com and run it. It will show all the contact photos you have in your Address Book in a window. Go to the File menu and choose Save Pictures as TIFF into ~Library/Images/People/

When you next open Mail, you emails should display the pictures of the contacts they are from.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 10:32 AM

On a related note, I would like to use a friend's AIM buddy icon in my Address Book. Where does iChat store AIM buddy icons? I looked all over the place but could only find the Address Book pictures.

[Edit]
Nevermind; I'm an idiot. AIM buddy pictures are stored in ~/Library/Caches/AIM.
( Last edited by wataru; Oct 1, 2002 at 01:12 PM. )

hwshi
Oct 1, 2002, 10:58 AM

i've also added pictures to my adress book yet it takes at least 2 minutes for the picture to show up? whats up with that? much less having them show up in mail app
peace hwshi

Forum Links
Forum Rules