Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is the 1.25 Ghz worth it?

Is the 1.25 Ghz worth it?
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 2, 2002, 03:32 AM

Im about to get a nice new dualie..but after all the reports ive read , it seems like the 867 is easily the best value , the 1 & 1.25 only have the faster chip speed to boast of , the 167 mhz bus doesnt seemt to make any real difference.

Whats the best idea in your opinion - maxed out 867 or bare bones 1.25 ???

TiDual
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
Im about to get a nice new dualie..but after all the reports ive read , it seems like the 867 is easily the best value , the 1 & 1.25 only have the faster chip speed to boast of , the 167 mhz bus doesnt seemt to make any real difference.

Whats the best idea in your opinion - maxed out 867 or bare bones 1.25 ???
Er. They have the Superdrive too, if that's important. I suspect the 1.25 offers little
advantage over the 1Ghz though ...

X_RuLeZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 07:45 AM

The 1.25GHz has the 167MHz bus and also has and extra 1MB of L3 cache per processor so it would be faster than could be attibuted merely to the difference in clockspeed.
If I were in you position though I would go for the Dual 867MHz, configure it with a GeForce4 Ti and buy extra ram later (not from apple).

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 08:30 AM

They have the Superdrive too, if that's important.
You can order the 867 with Superdrive; that's what I did. Obviously the other models will be somewhat faster, but in terms of value, I think the 867 is the business.

coolmac
Oct 2, 2002, 08:31 AM

The dual 1.2gig is aproximately $3300.

If you purchase the dual 867 and add the Geforce 4Ti-4600 graphics card ($400) plus lets say another 512mb of DDR ram from Crucial ($130) it will cost you about $2200.

You'll save more than $1000 and have a very fast system.

I added the Geforce 4Ti card and extra ram to my sp 933Mhz Powermac and its running faster than the original configuration.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 11:29 AM

A deal on a QS dp1000 might be your best bet, if there are any left. Prices seem to range from $1999 to $2200.

Your CompUSA may have some (ask them to check in back) and www.smalldog.com often has refurbs.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 12:34 PM

The difference in bus speed and over all cpu speed will advance tasks appropriatly. Each one must consider whether the speed increases can be justified by the increased expense according to their needs and budget.

Check out the link for a comparison of the Quicksilver DP1ghz and the Mirror DP1ghz
www.railheaddesign.com/

The DDR ram and larger bus do porportionatly increase the over all speed of the machine. Whether the 1.25ghz is worth it depends on what you think a 25% CPU speed bump is worth. That is all it boils down to.

To propose that the 1.25 isn't faster, or even significantly faster (less than 5% deviation is statistical insignificance), is foolish and fully ignorant. Even if an application isn't MP aware, the raw MHZ increase will account for an appropriate improvement in productivity.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 03:01 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I am trying to decide between the New Dual Ghz and the the 1.25. I will get the same configuration either way and if the 1.25 justifies the extra money I will get it. For basic computing and occasional web design and database work, i.e. not constant photoshop, FCP etc., do people think the 1.25 is worth the extra money?

Sorry if I strayed away from the original 867 vs. 1.25 question but I didn't think a new topic needed to be started for 1 vs. 1.25.

Josh

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
For basic computing and occasional web design and database work, i.e. not constant photoshop, FCP etc., do people think the 1.25 is worth the extra money?
Josh
I don't have either. In fact, I'm still on a lowly SP 450 AGP of yore... For me, the most tempting thing about the 1.2 is the 2MB L3 cache/processor. Is it worth it for general computing? No stinkin way. If I were making my living exclusively from my Mac, however, no doubt I would go for it. If you just want a fast Mac, I think the dual gig would be great. Hell, I would love one of those DP 867's right now.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
The difference in bus speed and over all cpu speed will advance tasks appropriatly. Each one must consider whether the speed increases can be justified by the increased expense according to their needs and budget.

Check out the link for a comparison of the Quicksilver DP1ghz and the Mirror DP1ghz
www.railheaddesign.com/

The DDR ram and larger bus do porportionatly increase the over all speed of the machine. Whether the 1.25ghz is worth it depends on what you think a 25% CPU speed bump is worth. That is all it boils down to.

To propose that the 1.25 isn't faster, or even significantly faster (less than 5% deviation is statistical insignificance), is foolish and fully ignorant. Even if an application isn't MP aware, the raw MHZ increase will account for an appropriate improvement in productivity.
I checked out that RAILhead Design site and read the chart, I don't recall that Apple made a dual 867 PM ranked as #5 on there. I know they made a single 867 G4 QuickSilver before the current DDR crop.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 05:17 PM

Hell, if you are just doing general computational; internet, word processing, music, misc games, a Quicksilver 867 is a WAY better option since none of the apps you will be using are dual processor aware anyway and you wouldn't feel the difference between the PC133 and the DDR PC2100, not with what you're doing. Real work like audio crunch, 3D rendering, DV edit, Photoshop, server application etc needs the power. Heck, buy one of the older generation and save a bundle. You would never use or need all that extra power.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
I checked out that RAILhead Design site and read the chart, I don't recall that Apple made a dual 867 PM ranked as #5 on there. I know they made a single 867 G4 QuickSilver before the current DDR crop.
Good question. Also, I wish he'd specified whether the single 733 Mhz G4 listed is the Digital Audio version with the L3 cache or the QuickSilver version without. Although perhaps it doesn't matter for that benchmark.

Leonis
Senior User
Oct 2, 2002, 09:04 PM

Well....if the Dual 1.25 one costs $2200-$2400 that would be fine.

But $3200. No way
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
Oct 3, 2002, 02:19 AM

..yes the 1.25 does seem to be expensive - maybe its the 2mb cache ? what else could it be ?

..and does the cache make that much difference ???

Jansar
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2002, 03:03 AM

Well, as some of you may know, I have the Ultimate option right now ($4999), and it runs everything you would ever want to quickly and efficiently. Although it also has a GeForce4 Ti in it, I am very surprised to see major slowdown when I play Giants: Citizen Kabuto on the large maps. I always have this feeling that the computer doesn't recognize that I have 2 GB of RAM. Especially when my Blizzard games will not start up (saying that I have less than 64 MB of RAM in my computer).
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
Oct 3, 2002, 09:06 AM

..what could cause that ???

..does X have probs with memory ?

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 10:34 AM

They did. It was under the [Faster][Fastest][Ultimate] category. I think they had a Single 800, single 867, dual 867... but I don't recall exactly. I do know they made one. Now, how many they actually sold is another story.

Originally posted by hyperizer:

Good question. Also, I wish he'd specified whether the single 733 Mhz G4 listed is the Digital Audio version with the L3 cache or the QuickSilver version without. Although perhaps it doesn't matter for that benchmark.

Forum Links
Forum Rules