Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll regarding PowerBook 17 (PLEASE HELP)

View Poll Results: Does your PB 17" make a popping noise when starting up? Sound delays while running?
Poll Options:
Yes, I experience a popping noise. 7 votes (18.42%)
Yes, I experience sound delays. 2 votes (5.26%)
Yes, I experience both popping noises and sound delays. 13 votes (34.21%)
No, I have no such problems. 16 votes (42.11%)
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
Poll regarding PowerBook 17 (PLEASE HELP)
cobra7869
Apr 10, 2003, 05:01 PM

I recently purchased a 17" PowerBook. Upon taking it home it was quickly noticeable that the computer had some glitches. First off the computer made popping noises that came out of the speakers when the computer started. These popping noises also occured when I would wake the computer from "sleep" or if the computer voluntarily went into "sleep" because of energy settings, etc...

Next, my mute button was unresponsive and would only work a couple times out of say, 20. (Just an example) I think this had to do with sound delays.

I have done my homework on both Apple Discussion Boards and here on MacNN Forums. I see that these issues are occuring, I'm really curious to see how often. I know there is an application that was created for the delayed sound, (ex:keepsoundawake - available at Version Tracker) but this is not a "fix" in my mind, but just a bandaid. I didn't think a $3299 should have a "bandaid" to run properly.

What I'd like to know is out the PowerBook 17" owners in these polls, if you could let me know if you have these problems or not. I returned the computer I bought because of these problems. I desperately want to buy it again. I'm hoping most users are not experiencing these problems and then I will feel comfortable going back and purchasing the computer.

I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible. I'm sold on the computer. I absolutely love it! Just want to see if it was just a "freak" occurrence or if many users are experiencing this. If that was the case, then I'd probably just wait for a revision or 10.3, etc... in hopes that that would fix it.

Thank you very much in advance.
( Last edited by cobra7869; Apr 10, 2003 at 05:08 PM. )

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 05:10 PM

I wouldn't classify it as a "pooping" noise, but yes sometimes I get a sound delay when I press the volume control button. It happens as the system is taxed. The sound is last in its priority when running programs.

BTW, I hope you aren't talking about the noise when you normally press the volume control button. That is the normal noise it makes so you can know your volume levels.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

cobra7869  (op)
Apr 10, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
I wouldn't classify it as a "pooping" noise, but yes sometimes I get a sound delay when I press the volume control button. It happens as the system is taxed. The sound is last in its priority when running programs.

BTW, I hope you aren't talking about the noise when you normally press the volume control button. That is the normal noise it makes so you can know your volume levels.
No, I'm not speaking of the normal noise it makes when you adjust the volume. I'm trying to truly understand what is going on with the masses of PB 17" s that are out there. (Well, as best I can) I want to purchase one again (very soon) just want to see what the general concensus is about the machine. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
( Last edited by cobra7869; Apr 10, 2003 at 05:49 PM. )

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 05:18 PM

I think it is just a delay from pressing the button. I get that a lot too. And sometimes when the volume is adjusting it makes a silent "poof" noise while trying to catch up to my rapid button pushes.

It is a wonderful machine. I'm never going back. NEVER!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

cobra7869  (op)
Apr 10, 2003, 05:23 PM

I think it is just a delay from pressing the button. I get that a lot too. And sometimes when the volume is adjusting it makes a silent "poof" noise while trying to catch up to my rapid button pushes.

It is a wonderful machine. I'm never going back. NEVER!
That is awesome! If you knew how much Apple has been a part of my life. I have converted tons of friends, friends of friends, etc... I preach it just about any opportunity I have. With regard to the PB 17", I just want to make sure I'm spending mony on something that isn't having tons of problems, etc... I've been wanting a true desktop replacement and the PB 17 is IT.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 05:27 PM

Oh goodness! Than you will be nothing but pleased with the 17-incher. I went from high end PEECEE desktops to this baby and it is just amazing. I am keeping my PEECEE because I built it and its a little special to me because of that, and frankly it is a Windows world and I don't want to be stuck in a bad situation if it arises.

Bottom line... Get the 17-inch. If you have the money, it is more than worth it! You have my full switcher guarentee!

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 06:31 PM

I have no such problems at all with my 17. It is working as perfect as it can get. If there are problems like those, the best way is to just call up Apple Care or just walk into the store again and just replace it with another brand new 17inch.

Good Luck!

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 10:10 PM

I think I have an issue with my 17" PowerBook. I have too press the CD eject key several times to get a CD to eject. IT'S ANNOYING!!!! Anyone else experiencing this? I tested it by pressing firmly once and the icon appears on the screen but it did eject till the 3rd time.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 10:40 PM

This "popping" noise occurs in million of notebook computers, Dells, Acers, Gateways, Apples, etc.

It's not uncommon in the least bit, it's just the speaker's amplifier turning off and on...would you really want your speakers on draining battery power during "Sleep" mode?

Don't fret the popping upon bootup and awakening, it's normal.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

cobra7869  (op)
Apr 10, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
This "popping" noise occurs in million of notebook computers, Dells, Acers, Gateways, Apples, etc.

It's not uncommon in the least bit, it's just the speaker's amplifier turning off and on...would you really want your speakers on draining battery power during "Sleep" mode?

I have owned Two PowerBook Ti's, Two iBooks (Snow), and a PowerBook Pismo and none of those made a popping noise when running OS X. Just curious that's all.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2003, 11:32 PM

I wouldn't classify it as a "pooping" noise, but yes sometimes I get a sound delay when I press the volume control button.
Now that would be a problem.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
I have owned Two PowerBook Ti's, Two iBooks (Snow), and a PowerBook Pismo and none of those made a popping noise when running OS X. Just curious that's all.
I also can't really agree that it's normal -- I've only had the problem with my new 12" powerbook. Not with old and new iBooks, Lombard or Pismo powerbooks, or with several PC laptops either.

Is it true that 10.2.5 gets rid of this? I've updated, but I haven't had a chance to run on battery yet.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 01:18 AM

Just to throw in another pov, my iBook 600/384 doe exactly the same. "Pops" on startup and depending on system load a slight delay in sound control. It never really worried me though.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 02:21 AM

That has happen to me before when I have the laptop on my lap and the drive slot is facing upwards a little bit. But after I did a clean re-install of the OS, the problem went away, and I can always get my CD out fine everytime now. For a sec I thought there was something wrong with my drive too, but the problem went away. I'm happy now, I have no more issues with my 17. ^_^

Ming

Originally posted by rcarlosnyc:
I think I have an issue with my 17" PowerBook. I have too press the CD eject key several times to get a CD to eject. IT'S ANNOYING!!!! Anyone else experiencing this? I tested it by pressing firmly once and the icon appears on the screen but it did eject till the 3rd time.
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2003, 05:29 AM

got the TiBook 500 and the TiBook 1ghz and nonmade any poping noise.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:

I agree that this is an explanation of what is happening. Just now I pressed the volume up key, and it took a few seconds to kick in. So as a power-saving feature, it's fine with me.

Would I prefer it not to happen? Sure. Should it take less time? Yeah, should be like half a second at most. But am I going to return this computer because of it? NO WAY. This 17" PowerBook is so much better to work on than the Pismo and Sawtooth combination I'm replacing.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

lawrenceg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2003, 03:17 PM

Received my 17" powerbook this afternoon in the uk...

Although I am v.impressed I am experiencing sound problems. What I can only describe as electrical spikes through the speakers whenever they start up have not been used for a while (attempting to work out the time it takes for them to be off before the noise appears) It sounds like the noise spike you get sometimes if you suddenly cut power to a set of stereo speakers. Whenever these sounds occur they are also accompanied with a delay of a second or so..

Will post with more detailed anaylsis when I play around with energy saving prefs and try it both mains and battery.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 04:34 PM

Anyone have more info on this? I've got the same problem on my 17" AlBook.

If the speakers haven't been used in awhile and something comes in that generates an audio alert (email, proteus, etc), there is a pop from the speakers then a second or so later the sound plays.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 04:39 PM

Try it with any amplified speaker system. Turning on the power to my 200-watt Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speaker system causes a major, 90db 'crack' to be elicited from the speakers.

This is the same, it's just the tiny amplifier starting up.

NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. EVERY LAPTOP I HAVE EVER OWNED DID THIS.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 04:53 PM

But do you get lag too? I suspect the pop and the lag are synonymous to eachother.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 11:03 PM

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 11:17 PM

Yep. Lag's there, too.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 03:33 AM

So, let me get this straight:

- Apple is, and has been aware of this problem since 10.1.2.

- Apple acknowledges that the problem exists in the large majority of their product line.

- This is the year of the notebook.

- Apple's only workaround is to connect a pair of USB speakers.

Uhm. Hello? Stupid? I don't know exactly how many updates there have been since 10.1.2 and 10.2.5, but I'm sure they could have snuck a softare hook in there somewhere to fix this.

I guess it's too hard to add a check box in System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options Tab, right under the "Restart automatically after a power failure" in Other Options that says something like "Disable Sound Hardware Timeout".

For christ's sake. Why is it always so hard for companies to implement the easiest fix for such small yet annoying problems?

The developers of KeepAudioAwake, etc have tried to do something that Apple apparently couldn't do in a whole shitload of updates. Kudo's to them, unfortunatley their workarounds are only work if you never sleep your machine. Fine for desktops, not so good for notebooks.

A'well, maybe one day Apple will get one or two things right.. heh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules