Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will/Does 10.2.5 support Bluetooth mice and keyboards?

Will/Does 10.2.5 support Bluetooth mice and keyboards?
HamSandwich
Mar 20, 2003, 03:14 PM

Hi everyone,
from what I know, the reason for Microsoft's current Bluetooth mouse and keyboard not working with Mac OS X 10.2.4 is that the current Bluetooth implementation does not support HID with Bluetooth. Since there are Bluetooth changes with 10.2.5, I'd be curious if this HID support is now in, this would be huge, since I really want the Microsoft keyboard and mouse.

Maybe someone knows more on this, it would be great.

Steve

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
Hi everyone,
from what I know, the reason for Microsoft's current Bluetooth mouse and keyboard not working with Mac OS X 10.2.4 is that the current Bluetooth implementation does not support HID with Bluetooth. Since there are Bluetooth changes with 10.2.5, I'd be curious if this HID support is now in, this would be huge, since I really want the Microsoft keyboard and mouse.

Steve
well, steve, if you don�t know it, who on earth do?

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by hellmachine:
well, mr. jobs, if you don�t know it, who on earth do?

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hi everyone,

Steve
Well, according to the release notes for the new 10.2.5 update it does state it will now work with "certain" Microsoft mice and keyboards. Anyone tried with the M$ mouse + keyboard + 10.2.5 yet?

10.2.5 Release notes:
"Bluetooth Setup Assistant now works with certain Microsoft keyboards and mouse devices." taken from here
Troy Murray

HamSandwich
Apr 10, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by troymurray:
Well, according to the release notes for the new 10.2.5 update it does state it will now work with "certain" Microsoft mice and keyboards. Anyone tried with the M$ mouse + keyboard + 10.2.5 yet?

10.2.5 Release notes:
"Bluetooth Setup Assistant now works with certain Microsoft keyboards and mouse devices." taken from here
I should get my bluetooth MS keyboard next week. If it doesn't work, I'll just send it back right away.

Steve

elmer
Apr 10, 2003, 05:18 PM

I should get my bluetooth MS keyboard next week. If it doesn't work, I'll just send it back right away.

Steve
Uh ... I think the MS keyboard+mouse will not work - it uses some kind of proprietary mangled version of Bluetooth.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 06:12 PM

Then why would the 10.2.5 update specifically mention it?

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
Good question. There aren't any other MS BT mice or keyboards.

I'm not sure if the problem before was a "mangled version of Bluetooth" so much as the BT HID hadn't yet been implemented.

I'm anxious to hear the experiences of those who have tried the MS BT mouse and/or keyboard (as well as the SE P800) with 10.2.5.

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 07:18 PM

Blah, I'm a moron for not reading the release note. Disregard post...
( Last edited by Hozie; Apr 10, 2003 at 07:57 PM. )

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 08:01 PM

The P800 works with Address Book Now.

also there is a redesigned BT prefpane (again!)

This one's even better:

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
Good question. There aren't any other MS BT mice or keyboards.

I'm not sure if the problem before was a "mangled version of Bluetooth" so much as the BT HID hadn't yet been implemented.

I'm anxious to hear the experiences of those who have tried the MS BT mouse and/or keyboard (as well as the SE P800) with 10.2.5.

Black Keyboards are stupid, they are very hard to see in the dark and they dont match any current Apple Computers.

The keyboard would look better in white in my opinion, and without those dodgy looking silver buttons which remind me of microsoft media player.

HamSandwich
Apr 11, 2003, 06:50 AM

Oh man, get new glasses! This is not black, it is dark blue, eeh purple.. or so. Anyway, it is NOT black!

Steve

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 12:47 PM

Does this new mouse and keyboard eat battery the way my current MS wireless mouse does? (It looks to be the same thing, but with something other than bluetooth for the packet radio stuff).

HamSandwich
Apr 11, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Does this new mouse and keyboard eat battery the way my current MS wireless mouse does? (It looks to be the same thing, but with something other than bluetooth for the packet radio stuff).
I guess so. I'll tell ya when my package arrived.

Steve

elmer
Apr 11, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
awh heck yeah, you're right. I was referring to ActiveSync - some kind of proprietary thing not related to keyboards + mice:

When Microsoft eventually does add PAN support, the company doesn't plan to support the more open Bluetooth sync protocol, but will instead run everything through its proprietary ActiveSync technology.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123956,00.html

Looking forward to your review, SteveJobs

elmer
Apr 11, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I think BlueTooth is supposed to be designed for low power, but I know nothing about the RF stuff

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Black Keyboards are stupid, they are very hard to see in the dark and they dont match any current Apple Computers.

The keyboard would look better in white in my opinion, and without those dodgy looking silver buttons which remind me of microsoft media player.
Hey I didn't design the thing! Personally I'm fond of the Apple keyboards as they are right now. Perfect for me. MIne looks like this:

I do like MS mice though. And this one comes with a BT adapter that has some range.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 02:49 AM

Steve
bump.....

wondering if anyone has tried this yet?
Troy Murray

HamSandwich
Apr 16, 2003, 07:34 AM

Hey everyone,
I am typing this on my new bluetooth keyboard and am using my mouse currently (not right now, I mean, I'm typing, so what?).
Admittedly, the keyboard is great, the mouse is not. I really love my Intellimouse Optical, but this one is a bunch of crap. Not ergonomical and ugly and the wheel is bad bad bad.

Anyway, it all really works! The configuration was pretty easy, considering that I had to find a password on this keyboard and I didn't know where, but it was the serial number of the keyboard, I think. It works now anyway.##Great thing!

Steve

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 09:23 AM

Hey everyone,
I am typing this on my new bluetooth keyboard and am using my mouse currently (not right now, I mean, I'm typing, so what?).
Admittedly, the keyboard is great, the mouse is not. I really love my Intellimouse Optical, but this one is a bunch of crap. Not ergonomical and ugly and the wheel is bad bad bad.

Anyway, it all really works! The configuration was pretty easy, considering that I had to find a password on this keyboard and I didn't know where, but it was the serial number of the keyboard, I think. It works now anyway.##Great thing!

Steve
Is it just the ergonomics of the mouse you don't like? Or does the mouse skip and jump all over the place?

elmer
Apr 16, 2003, 03:29 PM

Are you using the Microsoft Mouse preference pane that came with your Intellimouse Optical??? Or does MS provide a download for the Bluetooth Desktop for Mac OS X? What's the deal? Can you program all the buttons for each application separately or globally?

What exactly is crappy about the mouse wheel and ergonomics? (I know, I sound like a shrink

I use the Intellimouse Optical Explorer and am really interested in bluetooth mice for my 12-inch PB - wondering if I should wait for Kensington or Apple to get their act together.

Would I be able to use this with the PowerBook in closed lid mode?

HamSandwich
Apr 17, 2003, 04:54 AM

Hey everyone,
no, the MS drivers do not work. I guess that they will be releasing official drivers very soon, but there aren't any as of now.

Concerning the ergonomics and the jumping, it's both. I don't like the huge form of the mouse and it does jump like many older mice did... bad thing.

Steve

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 06:42 PM

I have the micorosft BT mouse and pretty much like it. I think the erogonomics are good, fits my hand well.

It does seem a little laggy sometimes but not to bad.

Pretty expensive.

It works better on my mac then it did on my windows machine.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

HamSandwich
Apr 18, 2003, 07:42 PM

It may be ergonomic, but yet, can you use the forth and fifth mouse button? Does the MS drivers work for you?

Steve

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 08:31 PM

It may be ergonomic, but yet, can you use the forth and fifth mouse button? Does the MS drivers work for you?

Steve
Didnt need any drivers for basic usage, left-right-scroll wheel. But the 2 other buttons dont work.

MS software for optical mouse doesnt do anything.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules