Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Erase songs from iPod, how?

Erase songs from iPod, how?
TiUser
May 29, 2003, 02:31 PM

Hi, I am trading in my old 5G for the new 15G. How do I erase the songs on my old iPod? Thanks.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 02:33 PM

Simply visit HERE and download the 1.3 iPod Software and upon having your iPod attached to your Mac & double-clicking that software, it'll give you the option to reformat & install the software, so that all the songs/information are deleted.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

TiUser  (op)
May 29, 2003, 03:02 PM

Thanks! Will give it a try.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 04:15 PM

No problem! Let us know if it all goes well.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Nawoo
May 29, 2003, 05:24 PM

Sorry to crash this thread, but how do you go about trading in you old ipod for a new one?

Where are you going to do this? At apple?

Are there any conditions?

I've got 20gb one. May decide to trade it in

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 05:33 PM

www.powermax.com has a trade-in program that allows you trade in your old iPod towards the purchase of a new one. Granted you'll make MUCH more off eBay, but eBay is a bit more hassle that some don't care to go through. Upon checking the site, it says to "call for details", and their contact page is here: http://www.powermax.com/home/contact.html
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Nawoo
May 29, 2003, 07:22 PM

Wow

I checked out http://www.smalldog.com/wag13041/

It has a trade in program too

But they only want to pay $195 for 20gb ipods!!

I think i'll just try to sell it on my college first.haha

How much do you think a 2 month old 20gb ipod is worth? I got it at $350 when Apple dramatically slashed its prices after the new ones came out

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2003, 07:44 PM

A 20GB iPod is worth about $300, that's what BestBuy and Target is selling them for new, if you can find them. You can get more on ebay, maybe $350.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
A 20GB iPod is worth about $300, that's what BestBuy and Target is selling them for new, if you can find them. You can get more on ebay, maybe $350.
Agreed.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Nawoo
May 29, 2003, 08:29 PM

Why would anyone want to buy it from ebay for 350 when he can just drop by at Target or Bestbuy and pick it up brand new for 300?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
Why would anyone want to buy it from ebay for 350 when he can just drop by at Target or Bestbuy and pick it up brand new for 300?
Because not everyone is a Mac head and actually realizes that you can get the closeouts at wonderful prices at these stores. It's the same reason people that don't scour the forums would buy a 1.42Ghz PowerMac the week before G5's would be released; they simply wouldn't know.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
May 30, 2003, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
Also, not every Target or BestBuy has iPods at the lower prices. This seems to be particularly true out west. I have yet to find a Target with any iPods or a BestBuy with any iPods priced at the much discussed clearance prices.

TiUser  (op)
May 31, 2003, 09:28 AM

Alright, I downloaded iPod SW 1.3 Updater and tried to install the software on to the iPod to delete the songs. However, at the "choose your destination" panel, the iPod was marked by a red exclaimation mark and tells me that I can only install the software on a disk with OS X installed. Am I doing anything wrong here? Thanks. By the way, I am trading my 5G for a 15G through Powermax.

Forum Links
Forum Rules