Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Powerbook 12 and lcd projectors

Powerbook 12 and lcd projectors
kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2003, 05:26 PM

My workplace has lots of PC laptops running at 1024x768 screen resolution. We also have several LCD projectors that I assume run at the same resolution because they always project exactly what we see on the PC screens.

Today I connected my new 12-inch Powerbook (whose native resolution is also 1024x768) to two different projectors using the VGA adapter cable. In each case the projector was immediately recognized, but at a resolution of 800x600. My Powerbook automatically changed its resolution to 800x600 and projected this image on the screen. When I unplugged the projector, the Powerbook's resolution automatically reverted to 1024x768. I tried playing with the Displays control panel, but I can't find any way to project an image at the full 1024x768 resolution of the Powerbook. Has anyone else encountered (and solved) this problem?
( Last edited by kenw; Jun 1, 2003 at 07:13 PM. )
al_iMac 24"; al_MacBook 13"; MacPro

kenw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2003, 09:10 PM

.....and the answer is........

Turns out the default setting in the Display control panel is "Show modes recommended by display". For the video projectors that I tried, and also for an old Apple 1705 CRT monitor, the default mode is 800x600. Unchecking this checkbox reveals many other resolutions, though some may not be supported by the monitor. Choosing 1024x768 for the external monitor allows the external monitor to match the native resolution of the PB12 screen. This works fine for the CRT monitor. Tomorrow I'll confirm that it also works for the LCD projectors. Apple's default setting ensures that you will always see something on the external monitor, but it may not be the best you can get.
al_iMac 24"; al_MacBook 13"; MacPro

Forum Links
Forum Rules