Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight

iSight
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 04:27 PM

Anyone get one of Apple's new cameras?
i want to use it with AV!!!!

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

so this thing must be plugged into your mac to work? you can't take it with you and record something? I wonder when someone will come up with an iSight to iPod hack so you can carry it with you and film stuff 'helmet cam' style.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 05:24 PM

I would like to get one this weekend when I get paid.. I am really curious to know if it will be compatible with other video programs such as Yahoo's video conferencing. I guess it's up to Yahoo to add compatibility to the cam, but will they be able to?

I'd rather not buy the cam to have it limited to Apple only applications.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 06:21 PM

Are they in Apple stores right now?

edit: no coming in a few days.
( Last edited by JB72; Jun 23, 2003 at 06:30 PM. )

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 07:29 PM

I found this on the Apple Support website:

I have used iSight with Yahoo Messenger and iVisit and it works just great!.

Gayle
AppleCare Discussions

----

Hurray!

Nawoo
Jun 23, 2003, 10:10 PM

can isight be used for conversations between Mac users and windows users?

I have been longing for someting like that to happen

Could this be the day?

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
can isight be used for conversations between Mac users and windows users?

I have been longing for someting like that to happen

Could this be the day?
no it only works between 2 macs running iChat AV

Macvault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 11:53 PM

I don't have a cam but I have a mic on my 12" PB and I'm on broadband. I'd love to see how the video looks. If anyone with a cam will be so kind I'm... pointworld (AIM)

Thanks.

Nawoo
Jun 24, 2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
no it only works between 2 macs running iChat AV
what about one mac using yahoo messenger and one windows using yahoo messenger?

In a message posted above, a reader mentioned that isight worked for yahoo messenger.

Nawoo
Jun 24, 2003, 12:53 AM

nvm, yahoo's website just answered my above question. Yahoo messenger's super webcam works across both platforms. So if isight thus work with yahoo messenger, it should be able to work along with windows users

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by mania:
....film stuff 'helmet cam' style.
*snigger*

the iSight is too expensive! �125
we don't have time to stop for gas

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 05:28 AM

Darn the quality is good. After watching the keynote and seeing how it compairs to the iBot, I'm hooked. I'm guessing its worth an extra $50 for the quality alone, and also many webcamera dont' come with built in Mics, so you'd have to buy a USB Mic (for most g4 systems). Plus it comes with a case, and a bunch of stands for various systems. After using iChat 2.0 with some people in town, and being able to talk to them, I'm convienced that we have a winner. Remember, Steve said that iChat 2.0 is using standard technologies, so anyone can copy and include video and audio into their IM client. I hope to see AIM and MSN starting to work on this.

Also, because its from Apple, we know its going to be supported in OS 10.2 and 10.3, along with probably some other programs to come.

Come on, overall this looks like it could be a really good product from Apple. Now if only someone would write a hack to allow recording onto an iPod....

gkorsgard
Jun 24, 2003, 10:08 AM

I ordered my camera yesterday. It shows it shipped yesterday. I am excited to get it and use it. I was using the Audio side of ichat and thought it was awesome.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:16 AM

If anyone wants to test it out, i don't have a camera, but i have a firewire Analog to Digital converter that ichat recognizes, so i can send you some TV. The strange thing is, though, that iChat mirrors the video. The output from the converter box isn't mirrored, and when i edited a movie off of VHS in iMovie with it, the video was fine, so it seems to be an iChat issue. I haven't heard anybody else complain about it, though, so it must just be a problem with this box...

Anyone who wants to watch some TV, my AIM screen name is MaxPowers2k

infowarrior
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 11:27 AM

I wonder if you can use iSight as a poor man's digital video camera to record short movies at home?? Or is this ONLY to be used with iChat AV and other chat services? If so, that would be a terrible limitation for a slick product!

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by mania:
so this thing must be plugged into your mac to work? you can't take it with you and record something? I wonder when someone will come up with an iSight to iPod hack so you can carry it with you and film stuff 'helmet cam' style.
So somebody needs to plug this into their iPod and see what happens (if anything).
Backup your Backup

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2003, 01:44 PM

Heard this mentioned on the Ars Technica Mac fourm...

iSight Requirements:

Requires iChat AV Software (not included), Mac OS X v.10.2.5 or later, 600MHz G3 processor or higher, Broadband Internet connection.

I'll admit it. I wasn't even going to look at the specs. I would have bought one, and plugged it right into my 400Mhz iMac.

Well, gee. I'm stoopid. Blind freaking tech-envy stoopid.

I know I'm not the only one though... so I thought I'd give those others like me a heads-up.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 02:57 PM

I just called up my local mac store and reserved one for myself. There goes $150. We'll have to see how well it works.

And yes, I will plug it into my iPod. It probably won't do anything, I have a 2nd gen iPod, most likly if anything was to happen it would happen with the third gen iPods.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 03:47 PM

It's pretty wack if you ask me. We can't even get it to work on a LAN. Lame. I guess iChat's beta-ness is to blame.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 05:57 PM

That is odd. I downloaded the beta last night and it worked fine for Chat anyway, dont have a camera to try it with and cant see myself spending $150 for one as I am not a very Chat oriented guy. If I did a lot of traveling away from home or had family that was capable of vid conferencing I would consider it. Right now my bro is the only one computer savy and hes a windoze user.

clf8
Jun 24, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by israces:
So somebody needs to plug this into their iPod and see what happens (if anything).
I'd have to guess "not a d@mn thing." But, it's nice to see I'm not the only person who's come up with this idea. Now, the questions:

1. Does the iPod have the proc power to compress the video fast enough (mpeg4, I assume), or do you save is as DV (thank goodness mine's the 30gig).

2. Do you try and display what the camera sees on the iPod's screen as a viewfinder?

3. Do you build a little box that sits in the middle, has some basic camera controls(?), and does any processing the iPod cannot do and just use the iPod as a disk?

4. You're still using the iPod??? Wake up and get a iVid. It's a little bigger, but it's got a color screen you can watch movies (that you've ripped to mpeg4) on. Oh yeah, and do recording when attached to an iSight.
-Flowers...

Hydra
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 09:00 PM

My local Apple Store has a bunch of the iSights in stock and I picked one up. It seems to play a pretty good video frame-rate but it seems to get a nasty deep blue hue. It is a gorgeous piece of hardware (think Al Powerbook) but it seems to get really hot. It may be defective so I think I'll go exchange it.

I tried iChat 2.0 and my DV camcorder over firewire with a buddy of mine 100 miles away (with a DV camcorder as well) and it worked fine with great video quality.

-Jerry C

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Darn the quality is good. After watching the keynote and seeing how it compairs to the iBot, I'm hooked. I'm guessing its worth an extra $50 for the quality alone, and also many webcamera dont' come with built in Mics, so you'd have to buy a USB Mic (for most g4 systems).
I just bought an iSight, which reminded me that I also owned an iBot, so I dug it out of the closet. What a PoS the iBot is compared to the iSight.

--

edit: The Apple store I picked my iSight up at didn't have them on display. I got the impression that they were keeping the first batch for freaks like me that "need" them asap. Apparently they were still selling fast. "Hotcakes" were mentioned.
( Last edited by JB72; Jun 24, 2003 at 10:16 PM. )

Gummi Bear
Jun 24, 2003, 10:18 PM

I picked up 3 iSights. One for me, and one for my 2 brothers. It works with one brother and not the other.

When i try to use it with my eldest brother, I get a message that says, "Network Timeout Starting The Conference". Then nothing happens.

The only difference between my two brothers computer networks is that my eldest brother is connecting thru an airport extreme basestation.

Anyone else try connecting to someone using an airport extreme basestation?
POWER MAC G4
Dual 1.42GHz, 2.0GB RAM, 120GB HD
NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium
20.1" APPLE Cinema Display
CANON i950 Printer
iSight Camera

spaced
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by JB72:

edit: The Apple store I picked my iSight up at didn't have them on display. I got the impression that they were keeping the first batch for freaks like me that "need" them asap. Apparently they were still selling fast. "Hotcakes" were mentioned.
My local Apple store had a bunch of them in stock when I went in, but they were all "reserved" meaning they wouldn't sell me one even though I was standing right there with cold hard cash.

Why in the world do they take deposit-less reservations? Sounds like a stupid idea to me... no other retailer that I know of does this, at least not without some sort of down payment.

I wish I had known when I called earlier today to ask if they had them so I could have put my name on one. Guess I'll know for future reference, but that still doesn't make it a good idea.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Gummi Bear:
Anyone else try connecting to someone using an airport extreme basestation?

You open the firewall ports?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 01:47 PM

Can anyone comment on the video quality of the iSight camera? Someone in this thread mentioned a blue-hue and reading a report over at MacInTouch, they say the image quality is not the best and there's some contrast issues.

Can anyone pipe in their thoughts? I'd like to buy one this weekend.

Thanks!

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 02:59 PM

How does the iSight compare in quality to a dvcam? I have a sony dcr-pc101...

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 03:15 PM

I tried it last night. I was using an iSight, the guy I was chatting with was using a Sony Mini DV camera (not DVCAM, but basically the same...) The iSight had better image quality and he said the lip-sync was spot on at his end. I couldn't say as much for him. His video quality was noticeably weaker and his lip-sync was a few frames off. This may have been because he was using a slightly slower connection than me.

The iSight is not so good with firewalls yet. I had to take my evil Linksys firewall off my network to get it to work. I am going to try opening the ports tonight.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
How does the iSight compare in quality to a dvcam? I have a sony dcr-pc101...
Doesn't that use mini DV?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 03:19 PM

Do research before you buy. Check out the last post here:

http://www.macintouch.com/ichatav.html

Oh, the first post sounds promising too. USB cams are supported, well, kinda.

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Do research before you buy. Check out the last post here:

http://www.macintouch.com/ichatav.html

Oh, the first post sounds promising too. USB cams are supported, well, kinda.
thats one random guy who emailed them...certainly not fact....
check this out
http://homepage.mac.com/tom_bridge/PhotoAlbum37.html

from what i read, its a pretty clear image, that has great audio/video sync

pretty good quality according to the pictures in the link...i can't wait to get mine in the mail soon!!!!

gkorsgard
Jun 25, 2003, 11:23 PM

I got mine in the mail today. I have been playing for the last two hours. The image quality is the best I have seen on a webcam. I just took my parents on a tour of my home using my 17"PB with Airport Extreme!

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by gkorsgard:
I got mine in the mail today. I have been playing for the last two hours. The image quality is the best I have seen on a webcam. I just took my parents on a tour of my home using my 17"PB with Airport Extreme!
show us some screen shots! show us the image quality

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 12:33 AM

I went to the Apple's online store to buy my iSight. It arrived today. (I love living next door to Apple's home state of CA, as most everything comes next day even by Ground!)

Anyway, I was a bit concerned before it arrived at the few mentions of poor quality. As it turns out, the problem lies with iChat AV not having any ability to adjust the video. See the following picts for two images, both from my iSight:

[warning] You get to see my mug!

Image one:
Screenshot of iChat AV's preview. Without any ability to adjust, this is how the image looks in my semi-lit room. iSight appears to flip the video horizontally (see iSight box in picture).
http://homepage.mac.com/krove/.Pictu...ght_before.png

Image Two:
Screenshot of EvoCam's preview window after I adjusted the default settings (adjusted color, warmth, brightness in just a few seconds). Ah, much better!
http://homepage.mac.com/krove/.Pictu...ight_after.png

Overall, a sweet little addition to my setup. My long-distance family members are already planning to purchase, so video chatting should become pretty normal soon.

The shutter is cool, too. I do wish that they provided a lens cap, but I guess if it is not on your machine (where you probably won't touch the lens), then it is in it's hard case. Overall, an excellent little camera.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

skeedog98
Jun 26, 2003, 02:13 AM

Got my iSight Monday after the keynote at WWDC, haven't even had a chance to play with it though, too bad. I've played with others though here at the hotel. Tuesday in the San Francisco paper they had a big spread on Steve calling Al.

dab007
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 03:40 AM

a wireless isight that would work with airport base would be great.
Take care,
Don
www.donnyb.com

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 05:05 AM

Anyone figured out how to make the iSight work as a DV camera? Every Webcam I ever used on my PeeCee had the ability to make small movies for Video Email etc..but the iSight apparently does not have this ability. My iBot Pro got crushed shortly after my ship sailed for the middle east, so when we stopped in Hawaii, I bought the iSight thinking it would allow me to make movies to send back home on CD's. iMovie, FCP don't recognize it as a DV source though and nothing I've been able to find on the net has been much help thus far.

Am I missing something or did Apple purposely omit this ability from the product for reasons unknown? As it sits now, with my limited access the the net while at sea, I have what amounts to a 150 dollar paperweight sitting on my Powerbook. The image quality appears top notch, and it's a beautiful peice of work from an aesthetic viewpoint, but without the ability to use iChat, it's pretty much useless.

Cheers
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 07:03 AM

For the people that asked if the cam works with anything other than iChat AV.. Yes it deffinetly does..
I dont have one yet, but a friend of mine does. And she confirmed it works with iVisit etc.

By the way, as far as I know, it's the worlds only web camera with autofocus. Nice..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by maelstrom65:
Anyone figured out how to make the iSight work as a DV camera? Every Webcam I ever used on my PeeCee had the ability to make small movies for Video Email etc..but the iSight apparently does not have this ability. My iBot Pro got crushed shortly after my ship sailed for the middle east, so when we stopped in Hawaii, I bought the iSight thinking it would allow me to make movies to send back home on CD's. iMovie, FCP don't recognize it as a DV source though and nothing I've been able to find on the net has been much help thus far.

Am I missing something or did Apple purposely omit this ability from the product for reasons unknown? As it sits now, with my limited access the the net while at sea, I have what amounts to a 150 dollar paperweight sitting on my Powerbook. The image quality appears top notch, and it's a beautiful peice of work from an aesthetic viewpoint, but without the ability to use iChat, it's pretty much useless.

Cheers
I bet you that within the year we'll see it work w/ iMovie or maybe some other NEW iApp for iSight

try EvoCam (i think thats it...) it should make short clips. Other programs do as well and the iSight has been confirmed to work w/ them

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 09:01 PM

i hope apple does do something about this being able to be used as a dv source, that would be pretty cool.

i have been eyeing them since monday, and i just spoke to a friend of mine in london tonight and she offered it to me for my birthday in mid july. yay!

is there any way for someone to record a quick ichat chat, so that we can see the quality of it?

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 11:43 PM

A couple friends of mine are at WWDC and they've gotten the distinct impression that iMovie will recognize the iSight as a video source, but needs an update to do so. No indication when this update will be released though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules