Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hiding folders

Hiding folders
iDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2003, 02:08 AM

I tried searching to see if someone already asked this but I didn't find it anywhere so here goes...

I'm a "switcher", and one thing nice in Windows is being able to "hide" a folder from other people who use the computer. Is there a similar feature in OSX? Being able to set a password for a folder would be great too - but don't see how to do it. Ideally I don't want to set up a guest account on the computer.

Thanks for any help!

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2003, 05:58 AM

I use this.

Hope that is what you are looking for...

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 10:24 AM

Hi, there are a few little apps that can do this. The one I use is CloakIt.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 10:43 AM

with multiple users you shouldnt have to

but anyways, if you name a folder with a period at the start it will be invisible
but you will still be able to get to it by typing its path in "go to folder" in the go menu.

iDoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2003, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I was hoping to avoid paying to do this so I tried the free options; when I tried typing a period in front of the folder name I received a message saying that that naming scheme was for system files only and to try something else. The LameSecure program at first looked good enough, but then I noticed that in the Finder's "Go - Recent Folders" you can access it directly - anyway to clear this menu? I thought clearing the Apple Menu's Recent Items would do it, but it only clears the Apple Menu, not the Go menu. Any thoughts?

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 10:45 AM

To name a folder with a period you need to use terminal.

mv foldername .foldername

the 'mv' is actually 'move' but renaming is moving from one filename to the other. :shrug:

It looks as though the recent folders are saved in ~/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

expand root, then recent folders. I don't know if you can just delete the items.

Forum Links
Forum Rules