Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Silent Hill 3 just made me soil myself :(

Silent Hill 3 just made me soil myself :(
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 12:45 AM

HUGE fan of silent hill 2. I don't think I have ever been so scared by anything in my life. It was so twisted and scary that I stopped playing it for months before I could pick it up again to finish it.

I am not a person that scares easily at all and almost never jump. Silent hill 2 had me scared of the dark!

Today I got Silent Hill 3. It started off rather mild but after an hour I got so terrified I have to play in 20 minute segments as my heart beats fast the whole time.

It is so terrifying, not because of cheap tricks like Resident evil with a dog jumping through a window but because of the claustrophobic setting, art direction, story and SOUNDS! Man this thing is sick, twisted, gory everything you can think of that would scare you. In other words one hell of a game!
http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaP...%2F482701.html

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaP...%2F482701.html

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

lipstick.smears
Aug 7, 2003, 01:53 AM

My friend is addicted to that game, I sat with him one night watching it, and I was scared! I cannot play that game now.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 02:07 AM

You actually find fake blood and gore "scary"?

MikeM

Socially Awkward Solo  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
You actually find fake blood and gore "scary"?

MikeM
Nope, I am not scared of red stuff on the walls or guts, I am scared of the setting it creates with isolation plus the sound will scare you to death.

Play the game alone in the dark and you will not make it an hour.

Then talk.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 7, 2003, 02:23 AM

The only thing scary about silent hill is the triangle hat man raping things.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 05:02 AM

Lol, SAS, I was the same when Silent Hill 1 came out... I had to take the disk out of my room before I slept!

I re-bought it last month to see if it was a good as I remembered... I posted a thread about it a few weeks ago! it was still awesome!

I haven't played SH2 and 3 yet, as I'm waiting to buy a PS2, but if they are anything like the first one I can believe your reaction!

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 04:00 PM

I loved SH2. Supposedly SH3 is shorter, and better in some ways... but it has less fog, which kinda sucks. I'm going to play through SH2 again with Kristin this fall.

This series is WAY better than resident evil... that game is just stupid. It's basically turned into a 'slasher' game. See something, kill it. Silent Hill is all about the environments. :|

- Rob

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
is WAY better than resident evil... that game is just stupid. It's basically turned into a 'slasher' game. See something, kill it. Silent Hill is all about the environments. :|

- Rob
it is impossible to beat any RE by killing everything, also the puzzles, i have never played SH but i will have to look into it

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
it is impossible to beat any RE by killing everything, also the puzzles, i have never played SH but i will have to look into it
I've played both. Resident Evil isn't necessarily a 'bad game', its just nowhere near as creepy/scary/demented as Silent Hill.

- Rob

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 04:17 PM

I've played both. Resident Evil isn't necessarily a 'bad game', its just nowhere near as creepy/scary/demented as Silent Hill.

- Rob
i understand... i am currently pissed off at RE0... i think i will go get silent hill 3 today

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 05:31 PM

I loved SH2. Supposedly SH3 is shorter, and better in some ways... but it has less fog, which kinda sucks. I'm going to play through SH2 again with Kristin this fall.

This series is WAY better than resident evil... that game is just stupid. It's basically turned into a 'slasher' game. See something, kill it. Silent Hill is all about the environments. :|

- Rob
Trust me dude, the less fog is a bonus as they did it originally because they couldn't render the scenes properly without it.

SH3 is just as dark and creepy if not more.

Yes it is a tad shorter I hear but it has less outside scenes which is good cuz they were really annoying.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 05:33 PM

I've played SH1 and it was fantastic, but haven't got either of the PS2 games yet. To those of you who've played both SH2 & SH3, which one would you recommend buying?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
I've played SH1 and it was fantastic, but haven't got either of the PS2 games yet. To those of you who've played both SH2 & SH3, which one would you recommend buying?
Well 2 is totally great. Awesome in fact. 3 just came out 2 days ago so obviously I can't tell you how good it is yet.

What I think and the reviews agree is that there is nothing NEW is SH3, it is reallly the same as SH3 but with new locations and characters.

I would get 2 and if you like it get 3. Part 3 extends the story of 2 and the graphics and control are exactly the same on both.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 06:39 PM

I didn't really get into SH2. The style of gameplay (find a key, open a new room, find another key, open another room, etc) isn't for me. I also hated the controls and forced view angles.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Fallout:
I didn't really get into SH2. The style of gameplay (find a key, open a new room, find another key, open another room, etc) isn't for me. I also hated the controls and forced view angles.
Just so you know you can change the controls to 2D.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 07:18 PM

The controls take some getting used to. They aren't initiative, and you have to play it a while to get the hang of it. But that's part of the game. They were considering changing the controls, but THIS GAME IS NOT AN ACTION GAME. It is supposed to be scary. YOUR CHARACTER IS NOT AN ACTION HERO, hence it was designed to be more difficult to attack things and stuff.

- Rob

PS: I say go for Silent Hill 2, just because you could buy it used for like 20 bucks, and then when you're ready for another round, buy Silent Hill a year later for another 20 bucks.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 07:23 PM

The controls take some getting used to. They aren't initiative, and you have to play it a while to get the hang of it. But that's part of the game. They were considering changing the controls, but THIS GAME IS NOT AN ACTION GAME. It is supposed to be scary. YOUR CHARACTER IS NOT AN ACTION HERO, hence it was designed to be more difficult to attack things and stuff.

- Rob

PS: I say go for Silent Hill 2, just because you could buy it used for like 20 bucks, and then when you're ready for another round, buy Silent Hill a year later for another 20 bucks.
Actually you can get it NEW for $20 as it is one of the greatest hits that is on sale.

Also, you set the controls to 2D and things are totally fine.

Nawoo
Aug 7, 2003, 08:30 PM

Damn, i don't think i can play this game

I got scared while playing Return to castle wolfenstein and quit after the 3rd level

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
The only thing scary about silent hill is the triangle hat man raping things.
FISH

edit: 5

edit part DEUX:

Cipher13
Aug 7, 2003, 09:17 PM

If it's anything like Resident Evil, I don't like it.

Too unco. Hard to control, annoying to use.

If I can't get the hang of a game in a minute or two, I end up giving up on them.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
Damn, i don't think i can play this game

I got scared while playing Return to castle wolfenstein and quit after the 3rd level
Hehehhe

-Owl

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 02:27 AM

As silly as this sounds I haven't played this game in 3 days cuz I don't want my heart rate that high.

Last time I played I ran into a room with no monsters in some basement saved it and turned the sucker off.

With silent hill 2 it took me 6 months to get over it before I could play it again.

Again, I am normally unscarable, this game is just so damn good at scaring the bejesus out of you!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 02:17 PM

Geez, now I really have to get this game and see what it does to me...

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 02:31 PM

Eternal Darkness is a freakin creepy game at points, especially with the sanity effects.

frownyfrank
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 06:34 PM

Maybe this is more gross than creepy, but anyone else play Thrill Kill on PSX?

That was messed up, in a good way.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Eternal Darkness is a freakin creepy game at points, especially with the sanity effects.
I agree, I just rented that game.

Even in just Standard Pro Logic that game sounds cool. Very creepy.

-Owl

Myrkridia
Senior User
Aug 12, 2003, 01:31 AM

- Rob
I'll agree with that, the one thing I really hate about Silent Hill/Resident Evil is that the main character sees all this blood, gore, and bodies, they don't vomit, or start losing it, they usually just say "What the hell is going on here?" or something to that effect. I really wish more survivor horror games would institute a sanity meter (Eternal Darkness) then not only are you getting the scare, the games starts !@#$!ing with your head.
( Last edited by Myrkridia; Aug 12, 2003 at 01:37 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Myrkridia:
I'll agree with that, the one thing I really hate about Silent Hill/Resident Evil is that the main character sees all this blood, gore, and bodies, they don't vomit, or start losing it, they usually just say "What the hell is going on here?" or something to that effect. I really wish more survivor horror games would institute a sanity meter (Eternal Darkness) then not only are you getting the scare, the games starts !@#$!ing with your head.
Actually they just made fun of that point in SH3. In the game I went into the washroom and the messy toilet was clogged. I told the character to unclog it and a creepy cutscene started... a the end of the scene she said 'Ew this is way to disgusting, who would even want me to do this".

That is after slashing zombies and such

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 12:23 AM

Well, it's going to be a movie:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/450/450559p1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:27 AM

Great game, great game. But... compaired to other's I've played, this game is not scary at all.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules