Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New OSX user..Filemaker Pro 5.5 OK? & whatsup with Address Book?!

New OSX user..Filemaker Pro 5.5 OK? & whatsup with Address Book?!
mauimac
Aug 9, 2003, 09:24 PM

First of all, thanks to everyone here who ever suggested/encouraged the move to OSX..I finally did and it's awesome! why the *#%@* did it take me 2 years?!

Anyway, I have software I'd like to use with Jaguar that was developed for OSX but way before Jaguar was released..does anyone know if FileMaker Pro 5.5 is compatible? I couldn't find anything on their site.
I am wondering because I know some developers i.e. Adobe are making their software compatible with 10.2 but not earlier versions of 10...had to bite the bullet and shell out for the design collection.

Is there a resource somewhere that lists programs and which versions will work with Jaguar? Apple Knowledge Base was sparse, and not all developers' sites bother.

OK, second issue: the address book format initially is kind of frustrating..why does it need to be in vCard or LDIF mode? I can't get my old Eudora address book to export in that way. Also, I have NOW Contact on 9.2..is there *some* way to get addresses from either of these programs? I'm not sure yet if NOW will install onto Jaguar either.

All this hassle is worth it though, OSX rocks!

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 11:41 PM

to answer one of your questions......filemaker 5.5 will work just fine under 10.2
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

delete
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 12:58 AM

The one thing that 5.5 can't do in OSX is print eps files correctly that you may have in layouts. They come out bit mapped. It's known issue that was apprently fixed in 6.

mauimac  (op)
Aug 10, 2003, 02:46 AM

Thanks! It installed just fine and I managed to find an updater..5.5.v2 on the FileMaker support page.
so eps printing is the only function unavailable?
any suggestions on where to get good templates...I've never used this despite owning it for nearly 2 years and having the Visual QuickStart guide!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules