Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD Copying Software..ONE program solution?

DVD Copying Software..ONE program solution?
mauimac
Sep 3, 2003, 06:00 PM

Hi, I've been browsing the past threads and was wondering if anyone knows of one comprehensive program that will allow you to make a copy of a copy-protected DVD. I would like to make backup copies for personal use and also grab clips for educational presentations. I have read about the trio of DVD Backup, DVD2One & Toast. That seems like a lot of effort..has no one developed a program that takes care of all the necessary tasks together?
If not, it would be a good one for someone to start working on!
Thanks for your help!

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 06:04 PM

not to be rude, but I dont think it is unreasonable to use 3 programs. The least I could ever see it becoming is two, if dvd2one added in the ability to decrypt the dvds, but I would still think you would need a burning program.

mauimac  (op)
Sep 3, 2003, 06:11 PM

I can understand that, it was just a bit difficult putting together al the pieces on what to do with what software in what order...in any case, if it's do-able in the first place, I'm all for it; however aren't we all used to the Mac's simple programs by now? : ) Wouldn't it be great to see something like "iDVDbackup"?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2003, 06:36 PM

don't hold your breath for a company that puts a lot of work into their software (like DVD2One) to add a feature of questionable legality (like breaking CSS encryption) just so they can have their whole product shut down by the fascist monopolies (MPAA).

There are tools based on MPlayer that decrypt and re-code in one step, but the re-coding is of much worse quality, and slower, and often loses sound sync. Don't waste your time on them. Also, there's more wear on your DVD-ROM drive if it's being seeked to all night for the encoder, than if it's being read all at once for 30 minutes or so by the decrypter.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
not to be rude, but I dont think it is unreasonable to use 3 programs. The least I could ever see it becoming is two, if dvd2one added in the ability to decrypt the dvds, but I would still think you would need a burning program.
Couldn't a program leverage the DVD burning engine built in to the OS?

But yes a single app that merged Backup DVD and DVD2One would be a great help.
The problem is justifying it's legality. A selection of apps that you just happen to be able to use together in order to circumvent the copy protection on commercial DVD's in order to make copy's is one thing. A single app where you pop in a commercial DVD set a few options, hit a button and out pops a exact duplicate (sans copy protection), would be more of a grey area.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Sep 3, 2003 at 06:44 PM. )

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2003, 06:46 PM

well i just researched this for the same reasons so lucky you. try forty-two. you have to go to the developers site and download both version 1.6 and then the 1.6.1 updater separately. read the install instructions and follow them carefully - otherwise it will not work. then pop in your dvd and start ripping. you will need the free quicktime divx component thingy from www.divx.com to play this in quicktime or the free video lan client. i tried iripdvd and diva but seems forty-two works best.

mauimac  (op)
Sep 3, 2003, 06:53 PM

Thanks! I am checking it out right now; I knew it would be smart to come to these forums!

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2003, 08:24 PM

Would it be feasable for an AppleScript program to rip using DVD Backup, Make one DVD with DVD2One, and then send to Toast to burn, then delete the original rip and compressed copies?

If there was an app that did it all, you'd know about it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by mauimac:
Thanks! I am checking it out right now; I knew it would be smart to come to these forums!
Hold your horses!

Forty-two rips DVDs to DivX films, NOT to decrypted, region-free DVDs.

There is AFAIK no easy way to convert a DivX .avi back to DVD video format on the Mac.

If you want to burn copies of video DVDs at the best possible quality, the DVDBackup/DVD2oneX/Toast trio is the only way I know of.

It's really not that much work though - about ten minutes of your time, tops, and about two to three hours total processing/burning.

-s*

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Hold your horses!

Forty-two rips DVDs to DivX films, NOT to decrypted, region-free DVDs.
-s*
tru - he didn't really say he wanted a dvd - just a backup - but yes you are correct sir.

DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2003, 11:38 PM

For Windows there's DVD CopyWare. That would seem like a neat one to have running on Mac OS X.

I wonder how they manage to skirt the law.

Dominik Hoffmann

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by DominikHoffmann:
For Windows there's DVD CopyWare. That would seem like a neat one to have running on Mac OS X.

I wonder how they manage to skirt the law.

Dominik Hoffmann
Same with DVDXCopy on Windows. All I do there is pop my DVD in, and click Burn. Mmmm one click goodness. One of the three things I use my PC for... DVD copying, Kazaa, and games. -M
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules