Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MIDI software

MIDI software
devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2000, 10:34 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a new keyboard and I'm looking for some sequencing software for it. I was wondering if anybody had any reccomendations.

The keyboard (an Alesis QS7.1) came with a bunch of software including eMagic's MicroLogic AV 3.6. The problem is the keyboard has a serial port to connect it to the computer. I can get a serial to USB adaptor, but the software will only use either the modem port or the printer port. According to the web site the current version is 4.5 but I couldn't find anything that said how much it would cost to upgrade, or whether or not the new versions could use the USB port (or firewire).

I also read on their web page that there is a problem with their software and Apple's new multi-processor G4s- which I just bought. So I'm hesitant to get the upgrade at least until they fix the problem. I wasn't crazy about the program anyway.

So what else is out there? I'm new to MIDI and don't really know where to look. Thanks.

->Later.....Spice

iPaul UK
Senior User
Aug 29, 2000, 05:25 PM

The Steinberg equivilent of Micrologic is Cubasis. Which is a toned down version of Cubase VST. It's deffinetly well worth a look. I'd be surprised if either programs would work directly with the serial port on your keyboard and a USB Mac with serial port converter. It would more than likely work just fine with older non USB Mac's. So your a little outta luck there. This means you would have to buy a USB/Midi interface. Basic ones are fairly inexpensive these days.

I also think it could be quite some time before Music sequencing/recording programs are optimised for dual processor use. Although i'd be surprised if they didn't work at all on such a machine. Best check with the manufacturers/tech support guys before you buy.

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2000, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the note. I'll definately have to look into that USB/MIDI interface. Sounds like it might be time for a trip to the local Guitar Center.

->Later.....Spice

Forum Links
Forum Rules