Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Possible new Bluetooth Mouse from Logitech MX900.

Possible new Bluetooth Mouse from Logitech MX900.
Sakino
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 11:52 PM

Possible new Bluetooth Mouse from Logitech MX900 due out in October. Link to Logitech MX900
This information was posted in the powerbook forum, and I wanted to pass it on over here to see if anyone knew anything about it. On their sit they say nothing about mac compatibilty. I found a different site that listed mac and windows on it. ( http://www.valcenter.ch/product_info...oducts_id=2057 )

Does anyone know any information about this bluetooth mouse? I was told logitech has solved the refresh rate problem with most wireless mouses. I would be interested in purchasing this for my new powerbook, and just canceling the one button bluetooth mouse from apple.

Would you think logitech would release this product with mac compatibility?

Thanks

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 03:06 AM

Wow, if that's mac compatible, it beats the **** out of apple's mouse... rechargeable, multi-button, scroll wheel... integrated bluetooth into the recharge craddle. Eat that Apple.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 03:13 AM

If this mouse works well with Mac, then it will be my next new mouse to buy. Sorry Apple, no money for you this time.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 04:53 AM

I personally can deal with the one button that apple has, since i wont have to have some cradle sticking off of the end of my new powerbook. What is so hard about ctrl+click ?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 05:31 AM

As I read it, you only need the craddle when you want to charge the mouse. Then you don't need it on you desk, more that a few times a week...
The craddle provides a Bluetooth hub, but you already got bluetooth in you Powerbook...

But, I could be wrong.

Jens Peter

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:53 AM

Well, if there are no issues with the Mac, I'm gonna get one.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
I personally can deal with the one button that apple has, since i wont have to have some cradle sticking off of the end of my new powerbook. What is so hard about ctrl+click ?
Easy, first of all, it's a when you are trying to play a game using a single button mouse. Secondly, I won't have to move my mouse if I want to go back or forward on a webpage or app window, just click the side buttons of the MX mouse. Third, I won't have to move my screen to the bottom right of the screen everytime I want to move the window down.

Also, by having all that on the mouse, my workforce will be faster and easier, therefore, more productive.

Ming

blot
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 07:17 AM

Translated from babelfish:

Logitech MX900 Bluetooth Optical Mouse - USB
CHF 145.00

Last word in the mouse for Mac or PC. Bluetooth Technology. Optical sensor with technology MX (4.7 million pixels captured a second!). 8 programmable buttons for navigation and scroll. Delivered with station of reception and refill (it is not thus necessary any more to change the piles every 3-4 months!). 5 years guarantee!

Interface_: USB

This product will be available Friday October 10, 2003.

--------

Let's hope there will truly be a Mac OS X version!

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by blot:
Translated from babelfish:

Logitech MX900 Bluetooth Optical Mouse - USB
CHF 145.00

Last word in the mouse for Mac or PC. Bluetooth Technology. Optical sensor with technology MX (4.7 million pixels captured a second!). 8 programmable buttons for navigation and scroll. Delivered with station of reception and refill (it is not thus necessary any more to change the piles every 3-4 months!). 5 years guarantee!

Interface_: USB

This product will be available Friday October 10, 2003.

--------

Let's hope there will truly be a Mac OS X version!
Thats looks promissing. Plus if logitech had any brains they would release it for the mac. Why because they know apple is releasing their mouse on the 10th too. I'm sold, and my order is going in for the logitech. I will call in today and cancel my bt apple mouse.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 11:20 AM

cradle sticking off the end of your new powerbook? Umm...keep the cradle on your desk and just bring the mouse; if you're going on an extended vacation, just pack the cradle in your suitcase. Have you ever used a multi-button mouse with scroll-wheel? I'm guessing not, because there's no way you could have that attitude after using one. Ctrl-click is hard for games when you need to be quick, and slow things down when you're just using your mouse and don't have a hand on the keyboard. No scroll-wheel also slows things down a LOT. The extra buttons on this mouse are even more perks. I'd assign that one below the scroll wheel to Expos� in OS 10.3...

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 11:47 AM

Every other Logitech mouse works on a Mac with great drivers (I am using a MX700 right now), why wouldn't this one?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 11:47 AM

Every other Logitech mouse works on a Mac with great drivers (I am using a MX700 right now), why wouldn't this one?

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 01:10 PM

The small market for Bluetooth peripherals seems to be keeping prices high. There's only one product (a mouse and a keyboard) that's been released by each major manufacturer of peripherals - Apple, Microsoft, and now Logitech (and hopefully Kensington soon!). I want to wait to see if prices drop when another set of BT mice and keyboards come out without docking cradles (because of the proliferation of BT) and with more choice in what design (ergonomic, etc.). But right now, I'd love an MX.
Looking forward.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:20 PM

Awesome. Better in every way than any of the competition.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Awesome. Better in every way than any of the competition.
HAHA apple just shipped my wireless mouse that was due to ship out October 10th. Now what should I do, I was going to cancel the order and get the Logitech mouse when it comes out?
Should I just keep the apple mouse? or sell it.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
HAHA apple just shipped my wireless mouse that was due to ship out October 10th. Now what should I do, I was going to cancel the order and get the Logitech mouse when it comes out?
Don't open it, and take it to a Apple Store and return it. If you don't have any Apple Store by where you live, than sent it back to Apple with a sticker saying "Kiss my ass Steve"

Ming

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Don't open it, and take it to a Apple Store and return it. If you don't have any Apple Store by where you live, than sent it back to Apple with a sticker saying "Kiss my ass Steve"

Ming
Actually I ordered thru adc, and they said i cannot return items because its part of their policy.

If anything i will sell it for 55$ because thats what I got it for.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 07:46 PM

I read through the PDFs on Logitech's site about the MX900 and it should work fine on a Mac. The only question will be if the Logitech Control Center or USB Overdrive will be able to make use of the extra buttons on the mouse. I see no reason why they wouldn't, the mouse is identical to the MX700 in every way except it uses bluetooth. I can't wait to get one of these for my new powerbook.

-matt

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 08:21 PM

Sell it on Ebay. The Antiques section.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 10:02 PM

Haha.. I will probably just sell it for 55$.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 12:46 AM

HAHAHAHAHA, just want I was thinking too.

Ming

milhouse
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 09:40 AM

The Logitech MX-700 works great with my Mac and USB OD does indeed enable the extra buttons (all 8 of them).

I don't see the advantage of this bluetooth mouse over the MX700 wireless though.
"-Dodge This"

yg17
Sep 20, 2003, 10:58 AM

If you have a PB with built in BT, then I can see an advantage. Assuming it works with the built in BT, you don't need to take the receiver/charger with you too. But if you're like me and have the iBook and MX700, you need to take the charger with you, so if you dont have BT, then there's no advantage

Originally posted by milhouse:
The Logitech MX-700 works great with my Mac and USB OD does indeed enable the extra buttons (all 8 of them).

I don't see the advantage of this bluetooth mouse over the MX700 wireless though.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by yg17:
If you have a PB with built in BT, then I can see an advantage. Assuming it works with the built in BT, you don't need to take the receiver/charger with you too. But if you're like me and have the iBook and MX700, you need to take the charger with you, so if you dont have BT, then there's no advantage
But the batteries on the MX700 die after 8 hours of use, so thats why you need the recharging station.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:

Here is the advantage, when I come into work in the morning with my slick 15" albook I can set it on a little pedestal on my desk open the screen and start working with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With the MX700 I'd have to plug the base station into a USB port. What's the point of wireless on a notebook if I need to plug in a cable?

-matt

BluThng
Oct 17, 2003, 07:53 PM

When in the world are they going to ship this thing???

My mouse is dying!
iN THe eND, iT DoeSN'T ReaLLy MaTTeR

| PowerBook G4 | 15.2" | 1.25GHz | 512MB | Combo | 60GB | AE | BT |

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 12:15 AM

the only reason I'd get a MX900 instead of MX700, is so I can also use Apple's wireless keyboard (don't have built-in Bluetooth). I love Apple's keyboard and now its wireless

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 10:06 PM

Would you think logitech would release this product with mac compatibility?
I called Logitech last week to ask about a Mac version and was told that they have no idea. The MX900 (for PCs) is still unavailable in retail stores as it is. But it may be that this particular operator had no clue...

I too wonder about it's negligible difference to the MX700 (Bluetooth vs. RF technology) and whether or not it would just work, especially with USB Overdrive. If anybody tries it out, especially with Panther, let us know.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
Here is the advantage, when I come into work in the morning with my slick 15" albook I can set it on a little pedestal on my desk open the screen and start working with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With the MX700 I'd have to plug the base station into a USB port. What's the point of wireless on a notebook if I need to plug in a cable?

-matt
Don't you still have to plug in the power adapter?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 04:24 PM

its not the cntrl click as much as it is the scroll wheel. not to mention that the wheel is a THIRD button. with something like usb overdrive, you can bind this to be cmd-[ (back) in safari for instance or cmd-w (close window) in the finder, thus speeding up your browsing. i have both of these going and i love them. one button is just not enough, no matter what the mouse looks like.

Dan.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by elvis2000:
Don't you still have to plug in the power adapter?
I can just plug the base in at my desk at work. When I go home at night I can drop the mouse in the base, and during the day I can freely use it with no cables sticking out of my pretty little powerbook.

-matt

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 01:44 PM

where is the cheepest place that sells this mouse. Do you need the doc for it or can you just get battries. All the 17 inch power books have blue tooth built in so its kind of a waste to pay for the doc as a bundle. They should have had a option.

videian28
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 02:25 PM

www.pricewatch.com shows it for $95 from only one place

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 03:14 AM

i like that watch place. very informative. Thanks.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2003, 11:12 AM

My question is why does it state that it is USB? Doesnt that indicate that it is not wireless? I want a fully wireless Bluetooth mouse for my Al Gigabook so why the mention of USB?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2003, 11:25 AM

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=48421

Special Order only right now it says but its cheaper.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
My question is why does it state that it is USB? Doesnt that indicate that it is not wireless? I want a fully wireless Bluetooth mouse for my Al Gigabook so why the mention of USB?
Doh, Swiz. The dock for recharging is USB, not the mouse.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 02:53 PM

it is usb for those computers that don't have bluetooth, for those that do you dont need to connect the usb dock. I am going to connect the dock to my non bt win/pc and then charge it on the dock but use it for bluetooth when i am on the powerbook
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2003, 03:58 PM

DOh! Is Right Thanks RooneyX and Bruck.

ss1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 07:59 PM

I was wondering is hypothetical possible to use one Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse with two computers, hence elimnating the need for a KVM switch? My monitor has alreay dual inputs (VGA and BNC) so elimating the KVM would be nice.

Cheers,

ss1.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2003, 08:36 PM

Actually I ordered thru adc, and they said i cannot return items because its part of their policy.

If anything i will sell it for 55$ because thats what I got it for.
You cannot resell items bought through ADC for one year from purchase date.

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
You cannot resell items bought through ADC for one year from purchase date.
I don't know what ADC is, but who gives a crap. Sell it, return it, do what you want. Remember you're an American and every other country hates us anyway, what's the difference.

At least we are happy and free to price gauge on eBay!

CPU_Angel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 02:51 PM

Has anyone bought this mouse(MX900)? If so do you like it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules