Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug List For 10.3

Bug List For 10.3 (Page 2)
99switcher
Oct 25, 2003, 07:02 PM

SETI@home no longer works in screen saver mode on my Panther install.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Hmm, I'd like it to go back to the old behaviour, so that I can kill a process while in the same Terminal window, any clues how I can do that?

What I am finding in Panther, is that after an Archive & Install, lots of jaguar porgrams will still work, like Proteus, and bit torrent, whereas, with a clean install, they won't run, or are broken. Maybe it might be useful for people to back up their prefs before a clean install.
Easy... From terminal, go to preferences. There's an option for 'Declare terminal type ($TERM) as:"

Select vt100 (the default is color). Then it will behave as before.

The downside is that with vt100 you can't get color directory listings. With xterm-color, if you do an 'ls -G' you'll see all sorts of pretty colors now :-)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
I don't believe this was supposed to stay in Sherlock. Oops.

I don't have it. You either did an "archive and install" or an upgrade install, and you had something there before, didn't you ;-)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by superlarry:
also, a bug i found:
after creating a striped RAID of a usb floppy disk and a firewire hard drive, i got a system dump on the top left of my screen (didn't even give me the kernel panic). hehe. i doubt this'll be a practical problem (although jaguar could handle RAID arrays of usb floppy drives).

edit: finder keeps arranging icons below my dock (3-dimensional under.. i can still get to them if i hide the dock).
also in finder: most of my icon-view folders were organized into 3 columns, but the new finder columns are wider and i have to have a *huge* finder window to maintain the 3-column setup. this wouldn't be so much of a problem if i weren't on a 12" powerbook w/ 1024x768 max. resolution, but i am so it is.
RAID of a USB floppy and a hard drive? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard :-P

Not only will it only allow you to use 1.44 MB of your HD in the stripe, but the difference in speeds is so great, I could see the potential for all sorts of problems.

I'll bet panther also crashes if you pull out RAM while it's running... I'll let you test that

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
I don't have it. You either did an "archive and install" or an upgrade install, and you had something there before, didn't you ;-)
Heh. You pegged me. I don't recall seeing that before, but I guess it was hidden away somewhere.

OK, here's a potential bona fide bug then...

Anyone else finding that the Trash won't remember its window settings?

(+) On a related note, am I the only one this is happening to: If you remove Desktop from the Sidebar, it keeps slipping back in. Garrgh.
( Last edited by lookmark; Oct 25, 2003 at 08:28 PM. )

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 09:35 PM

On a related note, am I the only one this is happening to: If you remove Desktop from the Sidebar, it keeps slipping back in. Garrgh.
You have to deselect it in the Finder Preferences.

I have a couple of annoying bugs to report...

The first deals with display calibration. It just doesn't work. If anyone else here can get it to work (in the Display Preference pane) please let me know the haps. A related bug: Previously created display calibartion profiles don't take under Panther unless you restart after selecting a profile, and even then it doesn't always apply. This sucks mad rocks.

Second, when logging out or restarting, and while Extensis Suitcase is quitting, the menubar items all go bizzy, with the spinning beachball on all of them. The logout/shutdown doesn't proceed, and I don't even get the warning about an app cancelling logout with the option to force quit. I either have to kill the loginwindow process from the terminal, or a hard restart/shutdown.

Another minor bug is with the screensavers. It's not that big at all, it's only that the screensavers start and end very abruptly, whereas in earlier versions of OS X it would fade in and out gracefully and smoothly. I wouldn't be making such a big deal out of this one if previous versions of OS X didn't have this feature, only for it to be omitted in Panther...

Oh, wait, I have another
The date that shows in the iCal icon in the dock displays crooked after it starts up... thats just weird.

Plus, one involving toast and CD burning. After setting up a bunch of files to burn, then inserting a blank CD (with toast in the foreground), the finder window will pop up asking me what to do with the blank CD. Even when I choose to use Toast 6 with the CD, that same dialogue will pop up every now and then as I adjust the options in Toast. Annoying.

Another fun movie. If you are editing the name of a file in the Finder and use Expose reveal Desktop, instead of fading out the file name goes to the side. I guess it is a small window of its own, but some windows like floaters sometimes fade out instead of moving (still trying to pin down the exact behavior). In any case, it looks kind of strange.
This is kinda strange/cool... but you may also notice that if you expos� all windows, or Finder windows only, the selected text fades out as if it were a palette. hmmm...

I heard everyone talking about how the 7B85 build was the same as the one we would end up buying in the stores (and indeed it is; I picked up my copy Friday), but I hoped that it wasn't true. While 7B85 was really polished and close to being finished, I felt it wasn't quite ready. I mean, if the display calibration doesn't work at all, it's not ready. If the menubar keeps crashing and prevents a logout, it's not ready. A number of the other bugs cited here demonstrates to me it's not quite ready. But, since it's here (ready or not), this is what we have to work with. Otherwise, I think Panther is a required upgrade.
( Last edited by himself; Oct 25, 2003 at 09:54 PM. )
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Moonray
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 10:52 PM

After an archvive and install, using Top then cancelling the process by either using ctrl-c, or command-., .....
By the way: you can just hit q to quit it.

-

asdasd
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 10:56 PM

If this is the list of bugs well it has to be considered a hugely sucessful release. I am less fussy and have noticed nothing, and in fact haven't even been able to reproduce much of what is mentioned here.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 11:26 PM

I've noticed that drag selecting several items on the desktop and trying to drag them somewhere (anywhere) causes the finder to relaunch. It does this on both my iMac and iBook.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 11:49 PM

Display calibration works just fine for me. Screen savers also fade in and out like they did in Jaguar, but they seem to do it quicker than I remember.

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 12:50 AM

Finder draws random icons incorrectly:

Macrat
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 01:03 AM

Here's my list:

1: (in column/list view) In finder windows in Jag and all previous versions of the mac os you could click to the right of the name of a file that is selected, and de-select it. Now the entire row for a file is treated as one 'object', and the only way to de-select it is to go to the very bottom and click in the empty space below the last file.
If you have a window with a big list of files with no option for empty space below the last file, it is impossible to de-select a file, unless you switch to icon view. This also means it is impossible to create new folders and stuff using the contextual menu if there is no empty space below the last file.

2. When using the keyboard shortcut to move a file on the desktop to the trash, there is now an almost full second delay before the file is actually moved. In Jag it was instant.

3. The new application switcher. With dock hiding on, and the mouse positioned over so the dock is visible, pressing command-tab hides the dock. I also wish they would at least provide the option of switching using the old Jag way, without the new switcher.

4. Mouse movement. Maybe because I am just used to it, but without the Logitech software installed, my Logitech mouse just feels really sloppy. It moved too slow when I didn't want it, and too fast when I didn't want it, and generally inaccurate and hard to pinpoint something.

5. Default browser. The only way to change the default web browser now is inside of Safari. If for some reason you get rid of Safari, you have no way of changing the default browser. There is also no way to change the default email program outside of Mail.

6. When opening a series of sequentially numbered files, they still open in random order in programs.

7. Go to the desktop/screensaver prefpane, select the screensaver tab and quit system prefs. Now right-click on the desktop and select change desktop background from the context menu. System prefs open up, but it stays on screensavers, instead of going to the desktop tab.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 02:36 AM

Two I've found:

1. Display the preview column in the Finder for a movie. The preview column won't have vertical scroll bars even though the text about its metadata is not fully displayed in the column. Slightly resize the window and suddenly the scroll bar appears.

2. Right click (ctrl-click) on the left pane in browser mode. Nothing is supported even though it is for all the regular columns. This is annoying when you want to right-click to do a Get Info on your hard drive. The action button still works though

Macman069
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 06:48 AM

they fixe dteh samab ftp crash an di got confiramtion thank God. But one bug still remains. in a windows with about 5 icons or more, set a windows backround picture. now select all teh icons. grab th eupper lefty icon and drag it down to teh right corner (so that the pointer is still in the window holding all teh icons [hovering over the icons you chose to drag them all with] but the other icons themselves hang off teh side) and then let go
no scroll the wiondow to teh icons position showing them all or just some. now move 1 icons, watch the displaty in teh window get all garbled. also, when detecting displayes, teh mouse will ffreeze on teh screen for 3 seconds until its done sdoing its thing. Cmon apple, FIX THIS ****

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:
By the way: you can just hit q to quit it.

-
Yeah, but I liked how the output of top was still displayed after quitting the process. Someone mentioned earlier that the behaviour from before was actually a bug, and the new way more resembles other unixes.

Cheers.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
This isn't a bug, in fact it is fixing a bug as that is the way that top is supposed to act. It didn't work before because Apple used to default the TERM environment variable to be Apple_Terminal which top didn't know had a "buffer the contents of the screen" function. Now Apple has changed the default to xterm-color which is much more compatible with *nix software.

See my post at the end of this thread:

10.3 Terminal behaves differently.
Thanks for the help. I guess I became used to how it worked before.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

kzmk
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Robo-X:
1. Crashes Lombard Powerbooks with a garbled screen. Taking out one of the RAM modules fixes the problem.
duh... is this true?
i hoped this was a 10.2.8 bug. bummer.

could you please look inside
System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV
and check if there's a "ATIDriver.bundle". if so -- what version does it have?
and if it is there: would you mind trying to move it to the desktop, restart, see if the screen still scrambles?

i supposed the scrambling happens while the processor maxes out for some time, right (as it does with "repairing permissions")?

thanx
All kinds of Utopian plans were flashing through his (B's) busy brain...

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 10:54 AM

I have found two quirky things with the interface:

1. The Apple in the Apple Menu is smaller in the Finder than it is in Applications.

2. Cycle gadgets text gets clipped on left ('J') and bottom ('q').

Love Panther.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Macman069:
they fixe dteh samab ftp crash an di got confiramtion thank God. But one bug still remains. in a windows with about 5 icons or more, set a windows backround picture. now select all teh icons. grab th eupper lefty icon and drag it down to teh right corner (so that the pointer is still in the window holding all teh icons [hovering over the icons you chose to drag them all with] but the other icons themselves hang off teh side) and then let go
no scroll the wiondow to teh icons position showing them all or just some. now move 1 icons, watch the displaty in teh window get all garbled. also, when detecting displayes, teh mouse will ffreeze on teh screen for 3 seconds until its done sdoing its thing. Cmon apple, FIX THIS ****
teh sux0rz

Scheisse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 01:40 PM

RAID of a USB floppy and a hard drive? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard :-P
Actually, a floppy RAID is extremely cool. That's extra bonus points.

Almost returning to topic, the drivers for my HP 1220 seem to be shot. Bummer.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 01:55 PM

The Network location in the Finder sidebar is goofy as hell.

Not only can you not save passwords in the keychain (already mentioned), but it doesn't refresh properly. Sleep seems to affect it very badly. Right now I can't mount my iBook from my iMac for some reason -- the alias for my iBook that shows up in Network is totally empty. If I put the iBook to sleep or turn off sharing, the alias disappears, but then when I reverse that it's right back to the way it was. This survives a logout on the iMac too -- might try a restart now.

On the iBook, I mounted my iMac last night when I had some disk images mounted on the iMac. Folders of those disk images were STILL showing up on iBook this morning even though they were long since unmounted (and images trashed). I had to delete those folders manually on the iBook to get them to go away.

Networking this way makes more sense -- IF it would work properly. Ugh.

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i seem to have 2 system preference apps...
1 in applications, 1 in utilities (did an archive & install, btw)

the one in utils is a little weird (where panes are placed), so deleted that one.

living dangerously??

anyone else find this???
I actually dragged the "login items" to the system prefs until I found out that they got moved to Accounts/Startup Items. I dragged them back out, assuming there could be a conflict. I wish some of this stuff was clearer. Also, all PTH apps work, but you can't access the preferences. Safari Menu works but quits and has to be relaunched. Hopefully PithHelmet comes back. I really don't like ads and flash presentations anymore.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 02:50 PM

At least Apple took out the ability to RAID .dmgs. I was always kind of amused that if you tried to RAID dmgs, it would KP the OS

Hoosier_1701
Oct 26, 2003, 04:13 PM

Smartmedia cards no longer mount on the desktop using my Sandisk Imagemate Card reader (SDDR-55). The reader shows up in System Profiler, but cards will not mount. iPhoto doesn't recognize them either.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by train:
In the finder, if you go to your music, select an MP3, and play it in the finder preview, then go to the desktop while it's playing and try to select a bunch of files (by dragging a rectangle), the dragging/rectangles go all screwy.

As soon as the MP3 is paused, the selections work perfectly again.
It is not just the desktop that is affected. This bug affects any Finder window in Icon mode.
And it also happens if you preview movies in Column view.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 05:40 PM

Open you User folder in coumn view.
Select a folder and use the left-right arrow keys to go down or up one level in the hierarchy.

You cannot go up higher that the original level. In Jaguar it was possible to open up a window, and from the User folder use the arrows to step up to root level and then down to for example Applications.

I hope this is a bug and not a feature.

Neilwhit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 06:21 PM

After installing 10.3, I can no longer single click an item (folder or file) in a Finder window that's in the background. Requires me to click once to bring the window forward, then click again on the item.

Did an Archive with saved prefs install 4 times with same results. Ran all the usual diagnostics. Also did an upgrade on another computer and have the same problem. Reportedly some other people can still single click select items from Finder windows in the back just fine after doing a completely clean install.

Anybody have any guesses if there is a pref or something that needs trashing? I tried trashing the finder pref, but that didn't help.

This is a serious productivity problem that seems to come from doing either an upgrade or Achive install.

Thor
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 06:24 PM

1: (in column/list view) In finder windows in Jag and all previous versions of the mac os you could click to the right of the name of a file that is selected, and de-select it.
Use the esc key.

This also means it is impossible to create new folders
Use the gear widget in the toolbar.

symonsl
Oct 26, 2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Me�vv:
Open you User folder in coumn view.
Select a folder and use the left-right arrow keys to go down or up one level in the hierarchy.

You cannot go up higher that the original level. In Jaguar it was possible to open up a window, and from the User folder use the arrows to step up to root level and then down to for example Applications.

I hope this is a bug and not a feature.
Hold the Command key (apple key) while clicking on the name of the folder at the top of the window. This will reveal the entire path hierarchy leading to the folder you are currently in. Alternatively, you can customize the toolbar under the "View" menu and add the "show path" tool.

Code Master
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 08:30 PM

Hmm, I'd like it to go back to the old behaviour, so that I can kill a process while in the same Terminal window, any clues how I can do that?

What I am finding in Panther, is that after an Archive & Install, lots of jaguar porgrams will still work, like Proteus, and bit torrent, whereas, with a clean install, they won't run, or are broken. Maybe it might be useful for people to back up their prefs before a clean install.
Incase this hasn't been answered, try typing 'q' to simply quit 'top'. I don't have panther yet so I don't know if it'll work, but it should gracefully exit the program.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 08:48 PM

I haven't been able to login to the console using >console in 10.3, could somebody else try this to verify if it is indeed a bug or just my machine? When I first boot up and try it I get to the console for like a moment, but then before I can my password at the password prompt it throws me back into the GUI and hangs at the blue background.

camion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
An smb share (laptop) doesn't show up in the network, going to monkey around and try to nail down why--another share (desktop) shows up just fine.
I noticed this too. I'm on a university network with Windows (SMB) and Apple (AFP) I can no longer browse the Windows workgroups or Appletalk zones to find the share names on the various servers. I can still connect to the shares if I know how to type the exact path in the "go --> connect to server" box.

I'm also still exploring the various ways to connect to shares. I suppose going from Appletalk to Rendezvous is a good move, but many on the network are upgrade challenged. I did notice that AFP servers do show up in "Network --> local" and you can connect that way.

Zim
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 09:11 PM

CPAN (for perl) seems broken, the perl.h file was not in the correct directory (the perl.h files, and many more).

Also the DBI module will not install (so far for me), rendering mySQL web scripts useless.

Not a concern for most uses I suppose, but thought I'd document it here.

Mike

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 10:37 PM

here's one...
if i choose to show hard disks on the desktop, i cannot see my firewire drive; i need to select "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" in finder prefs to see the fw drive (altho it DOES show up as a hard disk in the sidebar).

some other little buggy things, but i truly loving this os...

OOPS! i am getting a lot of kernel panics when i put my powerbook to sleep, unplug it, unplug my peripherals, and open it in another room...!

(never had this problem in 10.2.x)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by camion:
I noticed this too. I'm on a university network with Windows (SMB) and Apple (AFP) I can no longer browse the Windows workgroups or Appletalk zones to find the share names on the various servers. I can still connect to the shares if I know how to type the exact path in the "go --> connect to server" box.

I'm also still exploring the various ways to connect to shares. I suppose going from Appletalk to Rendezvous is a good move, but many on the network are upgrade challenged. I did notice that AFP servers do show up in "Network --> local" and you can connect that way.

Are you saying you cannot see windows machnes on the local network? Is this a problem seen universally among SMB shares? This could potentially be a serious drawback if you cannot see windows machines. I have been hoping for all network sharing related issues to be fixed once for all.

- ravi

camion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by raviruddarraju:
Are you saying you cannot see windows machnes on the local network? Is this a problem seen universally among SMB shares? This could potentially be a serious drawback if you cannot see windows machines. I have been hoping for all network sharing related issues to be fixed once for all.

- ravi
I can see the servers. In 10.2.x I was given a choice of shares when I tried to connect. Now I have to know and type the share name. I can't pick and choose.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2003, 11:31 PM

If I switch from blue to graphite in the appearance control pane, Finder windows don't reflect the change until I log out and log back in.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 12:24 AM

� Mail.app crashes whenever I try to view a PayPal payment email message.

� Finder gave a permissions error the first dozen or so times I tried to use the "Network" icon, although it seems to be working now (I think this has something to do with another user having used it recently).

� Display contrast is too high on clamshell iBook (not adjustable!), even after clean install with reformatting HD.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 12:25 AM

more...
can't get the trash to retain settings (ie a non-column window...)

wish there was a pref pane for the application switcher.

having fun with command-tab; would be nice to change it's size, or behaviors (ie selecting an app could maximize it's window from the dock...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Thor
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 06:55 AM

Mail 1.3:

You cannot select e-mail addresses in the headers of messages for copy & paste. ?!

jsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 07:03 AM

Lessee...
On my new 15" Aluminum PowerBook, I get lag on the audio while watching movies with the new DVD Player app of 1 or 2 frames. I've only noticed it so far on interlaced videos, but I didn't investigate for very long. Perhaps it has something to do with DVD Player's new deinterlacing feature (notice? no more annoying horizontal lines, though it gets a little blocky at full screen).

I had the flurry screensaver going, when suddenly the screensaver stopped. I hit a key to get back to the interface but I was presented with a black screen instead. Tried force-quit and ctrl-alt-delete, but didn't have any luck with that so I had to hold down the power button and restart. Startup was a lot faster than Jaguar, though.

I had a scary semi-freeze while saving in Photoshop. It suddenly froze for about 30 seconds but then unfroze itself and acted like nothing happened.

I tried to use the finder to connect to an SMB share, and it lets me navigate the servers and whatnot. You have to browse in the finder window instead of in the connect to server box. When you click on a server it says "to view shares, click 'connect to server'." I tried it, but the Finder froze. Of course, at the same time, iTunes started choking on the shared music. I don't know if it was a network hiccup or if the Finder was using all of the computer's network information. Anyway, it didn't work. But I'll try tomorrow on the main network.

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Thor:
Mail 1.3:

You cannot select e-mail addresses in the headers of messages for copy & paste. ?!
Just click once on the addy. It will highlight; then Edit/Copy or Control/C. If you click and hold more options show up.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 07:59 AM

How about the fact that the Open File Dialog no longer gives the user tooltips on long file names?

Must have been overlooked when they were rewriting those.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 08:07 AM

Simple Finder, two issues:

1 The list of custom applications allowed for a 'simplified' user's Simple Finder might get reset, and even allow unintended applications.

This occurred, when I (admin) later again selected the simplified user in System Preferences : Accounts, but tired of waiting, exited the prefpane before the list of available applications was fully rendered.

Logging in as the simplified user, I found all the applications I had set before were gone, and replaced by a number of alphabetically first programs in the Applications folder, none of which I had allowed.

It seems the prefpane assumes all apps enabled, then proceeds to list them, then applies the desired checkboxen. If you interrupt it, the above describe problem might occur.

2 The 'simplified user' might save, or an application might by default save, files to a location not available through the Finder. These locations include 'Home', 'Music', 'Pictures' etc.

They are accessible through the Open/Save dialogs, but as said, not using the Finder, which by default grants access only to 'Applications', 'Documents' and 'Shared'.

J
( Last edited by Judge_Fire; Oct 27, 2003 at 08:29 AM. )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 08:34 AM

RealOne Player is not seen by Expos�.

Application Switcher plays the alert sound when trying to select TextEdit with no open windows. Works ok if TextEdit has at least one open window. Update: This appears to be non-reproducible as it's working ok now.
( Last edited by msuper69; Oct 27, 2003 at 08:45 AM. )

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
RealOne Player is not seen by Expos�.
Perhaps Real accidentally made it a palette instead of a window.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

nila mu'hari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:54 AM

hi all !
after installing 10.3 over 10.2.8 its not possible to activate the internal MacOS firewall anymore !
a pop up shows up with something like: other firewall sw i srunning on yr computer. turn it off bevore running Mac OS firewall.

I don't have other firewall sw running on my computer !
can anyone help me out ?
much thanks !!
G5 D2Ghz/160/SD/2GB RAM
15"PB/1.67/1GBRAM/128VRAM/80/SD/AE/BT/
G4 466/896/40+30/Combo
Motorola V3 RAZOR
iPod mini(4GB + green!)
AE Base

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by symonsl:
Hold the Command key (apple key) while clicking on the name of the folder at the top of the window. This will reveal the entire path hierarchy leading to the folder you are currently in. Alternatively, you can customize the toolbar under the "View" menu and add the "show path" tool.
Thanks, but please this is a bug report forum. Not a place for identifying work-around for the bugs. No offense

There are probably at 5 other methods to go up in the file hierarchy (click directly on the Computer icon would be the quickest, your solution works too of course, or cmd-up arrow click on a file just to mention a few).

But in previous versions of Column view you could stup down or up from wherever to wherever with the arrow keys. If this bug/feature stays you will need more mouse/key clicks to achieve the same thing.

Fitt's law anyone?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 11:31 AM

Everyone here who has a reproducible problem should TELL APPLE ABOUT IT at either
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
or
http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

Just complaining about it here isn't going to fix anything.

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 11:33 AM

Heh. You pegged me. I don't recall seeing that before, but I guess it was hidden away somewhere.

OK, here's a potential bona fide bug then...

Anyone else finding that the Trash won't remember its window settings?

(+) On a related note, am I the only one this is happening to: If you remove Desktop from the Sidebar, it keeps slipping back in. Garrgh.
Several OS X apps (if not all) have a "Debug" menu. Some of these apps (Safari and DVD Player) can have that menu activated, but you have to tell the System to turn it on. This can be done via the terminal (haven't tired myself) or by using a utility like Cocktail or Onyx.
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

Forum Links
Forum Rules