Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB DVI with External Monitor?

12" PB DVI with External Monitor?
cobra7869
Nov 6, 2003, 11:54 AM

I currently own a Rev A PB and am considering upgrading to a Rev B PB so I have DVI out and plan on buying an LCD.

Can any of you provide feedback as to performance (is 32 MB enough to run smooth) ?

Are there any heat issues when running an external monitor?

I've seen some pretty sweet set ups with 12" PBs and 20 inch Apple Displays and would like this for myself. Portability and big screen.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 11:57 AM

I can't give you any comparison between the Rev A and Rev B, but will say that I've had no problems with performance or heat problems with my set-up. I hear the fan maybe twice a day but that is about it.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2003, 12:03 PM

A 12" and a 20" Cinema display is what I run at home and it's very nice. Not as fast as my 1GHz 17" PB was, but not far off. If I wasn't doing as much on it (scanning and chucking biggish docs around in Photoshop) at the same time I'm sure it'd be ok. Depends on what you want to do with it. It hasn't stopped me wanting a Dual G5.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 12:09 PM

I agree with all2ofme, my PB 12 is not as fast as my PB 17. If the Rev A had a DVI out, I would have bought that in place of the PB 17. I run the same set-up as all2ofme in my office and have the 23" at home for the G5.

My cellmates have screen envy everytime they walk by my desk. It brings to mind the ESPN fantasy football commercial,..."this from the boys in accounting."
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

cobra7869  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 12:09 PM

I do some digital photography with a 5 MP camera. Files I work with are not too large and I not doing this too often as it is my hobby. I'm usually on email, in iPhoto, or working on a web page in DW MX.

So I would say I'm not a "power user", but want a nice set up that will handle intensive loads at it and allow me to use a big screen with great quality. Tried that with my current PB (Rev A) and a VGA LCD and I did not like the picture personally.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
I do some digital photography with a 5 MP camera. Files I work with are not too large and I not doing this too often as it is my hobby. I'm usually on email, in iPhoto, or working on a web page in DW MX.

So I would say I'm not a "power user", but want a nice set up that will handle intensive loads at it and allow me to use a big screen with great quality. Tried that with my current PB (Rev A) and a VGA LCD and I did not like the picture personally.
I think for about $300 you can get a VGA->DVI adaptor for your Rev A 12".

cobra7869  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Kenstee:
Do you think the quality would be as good as straight DVI connection compared to using an adapter? I am pretty picky about the image on a screen.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 02:32 PM

does anyone know this ...

theoretically when you work with an external monitor (not mirrored), the VRAM splits bewteen the two, does the same happen if I work with the PowerBook's monitor off (ie. only with the external one) ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

fraeone
Nov 6, 2003, 02:53 PM

cobra- No, a VGA->DVI adapter will not look nearly as nice as a straight DVI connection. If you're going to do that you might as well buy a cheap 3rd party LCD with a VGA port on it and avoid all the hassle completely.

sarc- If you're running the PB in closed-lid mode, meaning you closed the lid and woke it up with an external keyboard/mouse, it devotes all its 32MB video memory to the external screen.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by fraeone:

sarc- If you're running the PB in closed-lid mode, meaning you closed the lid and woke it up with an external keyboard/mouse, it devotes all its 32MB video memory to the external screen.
thx ! exactly the answer I was looking for (kinda convenient isn't it )
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

khemani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by ///Milien:
I agree with all2ofme, my PB 12 is not as fast as my PB 17. If the Rev A had a DVI out, I would have bought that in place of the PB 17. I run the same set-up as all2ofme in my office and have the 23" at home for the G5.

My cellmates have screen envy everytime they walk by my desk. It brings to mind the ESPN fantasy football commercial,..."this from the boys in accounting."
Hi Folks,

I have a PB17 1GHz with 1GB RAM and am thinking about going to a PB12 1GHz that just came out (need something a little more portable, and I'm staying away from the 15" because of the whitespot concerns. I've heard a couple of people say that the PB12 isn't as fast. Can you tell me what sort of performance difference I will see?

Thanks,
Yash

cobra7869  (op)
Nov 7, 2003, 12:45 PM

I have an 867 and love it. I just wish I had DVI out. Other than that though, it screams. If you are doing video editing, etc... it may not be as fast, but if you are just doing web page dev., etc... I personally think they are great.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2003, 12:38 PM

Yep, but I think that you'd be better off selling your original 12" for a good price if you can get it (ebay?) and then put that $300 into a new 12". You'd get the DVI, more speed, HD, RAM, Panther bundled etc. for probably around the same amount.

Originally posted by Kenstee:

Forum Links
Forum Rules