Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple #1 Supercomputer

Apple #1 Supercomputer
robre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 05:01 PM

Apple should build its own supercomputer using the new G5 and design it to be #1 in the world. Cost of the computer would be small compared to the current #1 and in my opinion would be better advertising that money spent on commercials (not that they would give those up). What do you think?
robre

einmakom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 05:03 PM

The thing about being number 1 is that it never really lasts for very long. Not a reason to not try, but there are better things to shoot for- like selling xServe machines.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 05:05 PM

I think that the costs (in both hardware and man-hours) would far outweigh the benefits. Apple already has the #3 spot and has gotten a ton of publicity because of it. I don't think that they would gain much by putting a huge cluster together.

Plus, by not going for the number 1 spot, someone else might. And if someone else does attempt to gain the number 1 position by using G5s, Apple would get a ton of money.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 05:43 PM

yea I don't think apple making the cluster would be as impressive as someone else (like VT), but they could make some incentive for someone else to do it. like build #1 and we max out your ram for free, or knowing apple they may give you a bluetooth mouse instead.

hayesk
Nov 17, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by robre:
Apple should build its own supercomputer using the new G5 and design it to be #1 in the world. Cost of the computer would be small compared to the current #1 and in my opinion would be better advertising that money spent on commercials (not that they would give those up). What do you think?
Nah - there's no reason to. Now if Apple helped a school do it, that'd be a different story. Apple doesn't have a reason to own one other than a pi**ing contest. Besides, Dell, would just throw a bunch of machines together and do the same thing. Remeber, they were #4. Sure it took them more money and machines, but Dell has lots of both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules