Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Voodoo card not working under Panther

Voodoo card not working under Panther
devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 08:54 AM

My Voodoo 5500 card stopped working as soon as I installed Panther. Now all I can get out of it is 640 by 480 grayscale, which is useless.

I know 3DFX is gone and the drivers are outdated, and I figure the problem has something to do with either Quartz Extreme or some of the new features like Expose. Has anyone else experienced this? More importantly, were you able to fix it?

I'm only using my Voodoo card to power a second monitor. So if I can't get it working I'm going to have to ditch it and get a regular card just for my second monitor. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) PCI video card that works under Panther.

I'm running a dual G4 450, 768 MB RAM, OSX 10.3.1.

Thanks.

->Later.....Spice

Thumannator
Nov 18, 2003, 10:49 AM

Ummm... I don't think there is any way you're going to get your Voodoo card working under Panther. There have never been any drivers for Voodoo cards that work for any 10.x version (though I certainly wish there were). Well, nothing publicly released anyway. So, unless you have experienced a video card driver miracle, I would have to guess that Panther is the first time you have ever tried running any version of 10? You're going to have to buy a new card I'm afraid.

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 11:00 AM

Actually it worked from 10.1 right up through 10.2.8. There was the occasional tearing of images and some refresh problems, but generally it was usable. It was only when I installed 10.3 that it went to 640 by 480 grayscale and won't let me change it.

->Later.....Spice

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by devospice:
I'm only using my Voodoo card to power a second monitor. So if I can't get it working I'm going to have to ditch it and get a regular card just for my second monitor. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) PCI video card that works under Panther.
Buy a PC Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB and flash it to Mac. Surprisingly it won't be as good as a V5, but the one I got recently was $40 and had TV-OUT, DVI, and VGA. Check pricewatch.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 11:51 AM

What's involved in "flashing it to Mac"? I assume it has something to do with the ROM, but I've never heard the phrase before. And do you know for sure this works under Panter?

Thanks.

->Later.....Spice

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2003, 12:09 PM

You mean to tell me you got a Voodoo card to actually work in OSX to begin with?

How did you manage this? I've been trying to do that for years.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
You mean to tell me you got a Voodoo card to actually work in OSX to begin with?

How did you manage this? I've been trying to do that for years.
They just work(ed). They're not accelerated in any way, but as long as it's a Voodoo3 or higher (1 and 2 didn't do 2D at all) then it would drive your monitor just fine under OS X.

(I suppose a Voodoo1 or 2 would be fine also because they're pass-through, so it would be like it's not there at all.)

I was running OS X 10.2.x on a beige G3 with a Voodoo3 for a while, before I moved it to YDL.

Forum Links
Forum Rules