Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > macalley iceKey

macalley iceKey
BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 10:02 AM

Has anyone gotten the macally iceKey? Any opinions on it?

I like the feel of my tibook keyboard and and wanted something similar as a full sized keyboard when I'm at my desk at home.
( Last edited by BatmanPPC; Oct 21, 2002 at 02:00 PM. )
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 01:22 PM

I am also interested in this keyboard, but i'm wondering if it has an eject key?

BatmanPPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by duboy:
I am also interested in this keyboard, but i'm wondering if it has an eject key?
From the picture it looks like it has everything the apple keyboard has. The volume/mute keyss and the eject key.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
mhaque|haque.net

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 02:38 PM

I just held one next to the Apple Pro keyboard (white), and the Macally is actually the exact same width as the white iMac keyboard, and about 1/2" deeper, so it would take up more space. It's also the same price as the Apple keyboard. It does have the eject and volume keys. This thread prompted me to look at it, as I was thinking about trying to find a slightly smaller keyboard (my 17" iMac keyboard is tight where I have it), but the Macally is not the answer.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

BatmanPPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
I just held one next to the Apple Pro keyboard (white), and the Macally is actually the exact same width as the white iMac keyboard, and about 1/2" deeper, so it would take up more space. It's also the same price as the Apple keyboard. It does have the eject and volume keys. This thread prompted me to look at it, as I was thinking about trying to find a slightly smaller keyboard (my 17" iMac keyboard is tight where I have it), but the Macally is not the answer.
Did you happen to try it out for feel? Have you ever used a powerbook keyboard and would be able to compare it?
--
Mohammad A. Haque
mhaque|haque.net

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 03:27 PM

where can i go to look at this keyboard? KarlG, did you go to a store? if so, which one?

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2002, 11:06 AM

i placed an order for one, should be coming within a week, i'll let you all know how it feels.....

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 11:18 AM

good luck my shift key and space bar is getting alittle tight on my pro key board, but I love it just the same so I will keep it to the bitter end

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2002, 11:07 PM

where can i go to look at this keyboard? KarlG, did you go to a store? if so, which one?
CompUSA carries them. I work in one, as an Apple Solutions Consultant.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2002, 12:28 AM

I wouldn't buy a MacAlley keyboard if it were the last keyboard on earth. Ever since they locked up G4s and originally blamed the issue on Apple.

BatmanPPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Deal:
I wouldn't buy a MacAlley keyboard if it were the last keyboard on earth. Ever since they locked up G4s and originally blamed the issue on Apple.
Opinion noted.

I've never had problems with my iKey and I know several people who are using iKeys with various G4s.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
mhaque|haque.net

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2002, 11:27 PM

just got the ICEkey today....i like it a lot, reminds me of my Lombard's keyboard....it's pretty cool. i find that i can type a bit faster on it since my fingers don't have to go as far...travel that is...and it's quiet...sounds kind of like a puppy's paws on a hardwood floor...funny analogy, but it's about true. i expected it to just work out of the box, but to get the eject key and the volume stuffs to work, i had to install an icekey.kext (keyboard extension iguess?) hopefully it won't cause any problems in the future, like compatibility. i haven't seen the drivers up for download yet, they're still in beta stage i think. i really like the feel of this keyboard, and although it doesn't quite match my G4, i can put up with it for the cool feel :-) so there's my quick and dirty review. if you like laptop keyboards...get this one, it feels great!

BatmanPPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 11:19 AM

just got the ICEkey today....i like it a lot, reminds me of my Lombard's keyboard....it's pretty cool. i find that i can type a bit faster on it since my fingers don't have to go as far...travel that is...and it's quiet...sounds kind of like a puppy's paws on a hardwood floor...funny analogy, but it's about true. i expected it to just work out of the box, but to get the eject key and the volume stuffs to work, i had to install an icekey.kext (keyboard extension iguess?) hopefully it won't cause any problems in the future, like compatibility. i haven't seen the drivers up for download yet, they're still in beta stage i think. i really like the feel of this keyboard, and although it doesn't quite match my G4, i can put up with it for the cool feel :-) so there's my quick and dirty review. if you like laptop keyboards...get this one, it feels great!
Hey, thanks for the review!

I heard from someone else who works at a CompUSA a couple hours ago and also mentioned that anyone who likes laptop keyboards would love the iceKey.

I think I'll order mine later today.

Thanks again.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
mhaque|haque.net

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 06:37 PM

duboy, thank you for the review, I also love the icekey and have the same problem with the eject key. Where did you find the relevant kernel extension, and where did you put it?

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by jmiddel:
duboy, thank you for the review, I also love the icekey and have the same problem with the eject key. Where did you find the relevant kernel extension, and where did you put it?
hey jmiddel. you can download the keyboard extension here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16947

i don't remember exactly where it went, but there are directions..or an installer...before you install the kext though, try using the f12 key to eject. does it work?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 11:39 PM

duboy, thanks for the F12 tip, it works!

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 01:09 AM

I reviewed the iceKey a few months ago and thought it was great. (Though the spacebar is starting to act up.)

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 02:05 AM

I LOVE the iceKey. I got it way back in the day,l and can't wait till macally releases the RF version of it!

It's the best way to get that perfect Aluminum G4 keyboard feel for your desktop. I can now type way faster on the low-profile keys, that I shudder at the thought of going back to a standard desktop keyboard. =D

And the software for it works great under Panther!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 02:23 AM

A friend of mine has an iceKey and it seems pretty good. I've only used it once - the most confusing thing about is that there's a blank, functionless key next to one of the control keys (to the left of the left one, I think...). I don't know why that's there, but maybe they wanted to make all the modifier keys the same size and they had to add this blank space to make it work.

Anyway, it feels quite a bit like a very good laptop keyboard but it has a bit more travel than my iBook had. It's not the tiny amount of travel like most laptops but you can definitely tell that it's the same scissor-key mechanism. Feels good. Oh, and it's really big, and it has the exact same key layout as the Apple keyboards (except for that blank key I pointed out). But my Apple Keyboard is doing me fine now, and it's nice and compact, and it has a good feel.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

aribus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 07:24 PM

Is there any way to map that key with additional software?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 12:25 AM

I've used an iceKey with my old school twin gig G4 for months now, and I type all the time. It's a great board, very responsive with great key action. It's one of the best keyboards I've ever used. Reminds me of the keyboard on the TiBook.

I am very picky about my keyboards, and I have some pretty large hands.

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 10:20 AM

I've been an iceKey for about a year now with no problems. It is similar to a very good laptop keyboard. The short solid keystroke feels great.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 10:31 AM

I am thinking of upgrading from my Apple Pro Keyboard to a IceKey - they look lovely to type on. bluetooth would be great though...
we don't have time to stop for gas

aribus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 09:43 PM

I just bought the icekey from Fry's here in Sacramento. Unfortunately, I have not been able to use it yet because my Powerbook 12" is still in production. But it looks and feels good after playing with it a little bit. I 'm still curious if it's possible to map that blank key to do something like launch an app or something. Anyone know?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 12:31 AM

For whatever it's worth, I'm presently using a Macally iMedia Key that I got from eCost for around $28 plus shipping. It's a really good keyboard, IMHO. Very springy and comfortable. I also like its looks, and the media controls are very nice for iTunes.

And because it's made for Mac, there are no nonfunctioning or mismapped keys like there are on some of the Logitech models.

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 10:17 AM

aribus, about that blank key. after using my icekey for over a year (i think, i guess i could scroll up to see what date i posted :-D) i am convinced that there is no board under that key. when i push it, it doens't wake up my G3. i could be wrong though, i havne't tried to reprogram much. Hope ya'll be enjoyin' your ice keys :-) sure sounds like it!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2004, 03:05 AM

I just ordered an IceKey from NewEgg today. I'll post a review when it arrives. I've been very please with my iKey for years, so I finally decided to go for it since everyone seems to really like it wherever I read. While I'm not very experienced with laptop keyboards, I think I can get used to this after a little use. I like the scissor keys�the minimal travel and slimness�and how quiet they are, so I think I made a good choice.

By the way, if anyone is interested, NewEgg has them for only $39.99 ($34.99 + $5 shipping). There may be better deals out there, but it was the best I could find. Better than the $59 SRP.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 09:20 AM

Why is a kernel extension necessary for a USB keyboard? Beta?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2004, 04:43 PM

Is the driver needed under 10.3.4? I thought I heard somewhere that it was only need for 10.2.8 and below.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Is the driver needed under 10.3.4? I thought I heard somewhere that it was only need for 10.2.8 and below.
To answer my own question, yes, 10.3.4 does require the driver.

By the way, this keyboard is friggin' awesome. I highly recommend it. This has to be one of the easiest keyboards to type on I have ever used. Wow, this thing kicks ass.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 03:33 PM

Everyone should own one of these keyboards. Seriously.

tsukurite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 12:31 AM

complete agreement with Mindfad. Kudos to Macally on this one.

Regards.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 05:34 PM

Their site seems to be down.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2004, 06:07 PM

I agree. I love this keyboard. I have used notebooks almost all my life (it seems) so I am completely used to the "low rise" keys that you get on notebooks, and I can't get used to a normal desktop keyboard. This feels about the same as the aluminum powerbook keyboard, which is great, since there is no "gap" when I change back and forth between them.

reiko
Apr 5, 2006, 07:33 AM

Hi Check this out:

www.editorskeys.com

I found this last week, they sell loads of keyboard shortcut sets are they are really cheap too!
Got mine today so thought i'd post, really really really really good!
I recommend them!

Mark

jmgriff
Apr 5, 2006, 07:38 AM

Spam.

Forum Links
Forum Rules