Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > popup killers... good bad and ugly

popup killers... good bad and ugly
DrPhips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:42 AM

I was disappointed earlier tonight when I realized that the Google taskbar, which works wonders on my PC (yes, I admit I have one) isnt available for mac.

After some searching on the net a few popup killers were found, but before installing any of them i wanted to get a general opinion. I'd prefer to download something that's free, but if I have to dish out a little cash, I'm cool with that. I'm just a student and wasting time cleaning up my desktop is helping me none with my studies.

Thanks
"Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk."

ChrisF
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by DrPhips:
I was disappointed earlier tonight when I realized that the Google taskbar, which works wonders on my PC (yes, I admit I have one) isnt available for mac.
Have you tried cmd-k in Safari? Or select "Block pop-up Windows" from the Safari menu?
Chris

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 01:35 AM

He's probably still using Internet Explorer.

Get Safari from www.apple.com/safari and use it's built-in pop-up ad blocker.

DrPhips  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 01:51 AM

No, I'm actually using Safari, soo much better than IE for mac.

I just assumed that it was like IE in it's method of popup blocking, that in order to block popups, you had to turn off all sorts of stuff. cmd-k huh? is that a terminal command or something? I'm still getting adjusted to the mac environment...

DrPhips  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 01:57 AM

When I bought this laptop the guys at the Apple store screwed up my keychain password for safari somehow. Everytime i run Safari it asks for the password. Originally they set my master password wrong and I had to reset it through the install menu, but this didn't fix the keychain access. Is there a way to reset this stupid thing so that it doesn't come up as well?

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 03:52 AM

when you are in safari go to the Safari menu (up beside the apple) and choose 'block popup windows'.

that's it.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 03:56 AM

When I bought this laptop the guys at the Apple store screwed up my keychain password for safari somehow. Everytime i run Safari it asks for the password. Originally they set my master password wrong and I had to reset it through the install menu, but this didn't fix the keychain access. Is there a way to reset this stupid thing so that it doesn't come up as well?
You can try the Keychain Access. That is an app found in
/Applications/Utilities/
and there delete all the entries you find on Safari. It won't harm anything, but make sure you know all your password before you erase those entries in case you have to use them

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 03:58 AM

When I bought this laptop the guys at the Apple store screwed up my keychain password for safari somehow. Everytime i run Safari it asks for the password.
Have you tried resetting the Safari autofill key from within Keychain access? If that doesn't work I suppose you could just delete it.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 01:33 PM

No, I'm actually using Safari, soo much better than IE for mac.

I just assumed that it was like IE in it's method of popup blocking, that in order to block popups, you had to turn off all sorts of stuff. cmd-k huh? is that a terminal command or something? I'm still getting adjusted to the mac environment...
cmd-k is the keystroke in Safari to enable the pop-up blocker.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Terri
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 01:41 PM

Mozilla also has a very good popup blocker built into it.
http://www.mozilla.org/

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:42 PM

After some searching on the net a few popup killers were found, but before installing any of them i wanted to get a general opinion. I'd prefer to download something that's free, but if I have to dish out a little cash, I'm cool with that. I'm just a student and wasting time cleaning up my desktop is helping me none with my studies.

Thanks
1) Pop-up blocking is built in to Safari, as noted by others.

2) Google search is integrated into Safari -- it's the box to the right of the URL box. Type in a word, words, or phrase and hit return, and you'll go to the Google results page.

IE on the PC is so old school ;-)

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
2) Google search is integrated into Safari -- it's the box to the right of the URL box. Type in a word, words, or phrase and hit return, and you'll go to the Google results page.
That's nice and all but I still wish there was a Google toolbar for Safari. I use the highlight feature of it a lot and it's easy to search for images, froogle, etc straight from the bar.

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
That's nice and all but I still wish there was a Google toolbar for Safari. I use the highlight feature of it a lot and it's easy to search for images, froogle, etc straight from the bar.
Check out iSeek by Ambrosia.

Terri
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 03:15 PM

There is a Google bar for Mozilla
http://googlebar.mozdev.org/index.html

It odes everything except show the PR of the site.

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 04:29 PM

Omniweb has all this search stuff built in as well.

I type "find word1 word2" to get a yahoo search
"google word1 word2" to get a google search
"gpic word1 word2" to get a google picture search
"imdb word1 word2" to do an internet movie database search
"nyc word1 word2" to do a new york citysearch search...

etc. (you can built your own with little effort) and it's all in the regular address bar so you do have to click into some other text field...
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules