Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best cross-platform keyboard & mouse (with cords) ?

Best cross-platform keyboard & mouse (with cords) ?
mauimac
Dec 26, 2003, 03:05 PM

Hi, I am using Iogear's KVMP switch to use my Macs (mainly a G4 867 on jaguar) and also a Dell PC (unfortunate necessity for accounting and divelog purposes!) with my one monitor. However I'd like to get one keyboard & mouse that works for them both, and need them to have cords because of the KVMP.
Can someone suggest a good choice?
I have been looking at the logitech elite keyboard..it seems nice but it also seems to have a lot of extraneous stuff and no USB ports to connect the mouse to. The MX500 mouse looks good too. I can't find these in local stores so I'll have to rely on websites and online ordering...so I thought I'd ask the crew here...does anyone have any experience with these, or could offer an alternative choice?
Thanks for your time!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 26, 2003, 06:20 PM

Microsoft's USB keyboards work great on Macs -- they have excellent drivers for them, for both OS 9 and OS X. (I assume they work well on Windows, too.)

They have USB ports on the back, too.

tooki

mauimac  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 07:51 PM

I didn't realize that..thanks!!

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 08:27 PM

Just worked on this today actually. Picked up an IOGear USB mini KVM to share kb/mouse between powerbook and pc, and share printer/scanner. Works beautifully with one big crappy exception. The PC recognizes my Apple keyboard perfectly, but it doesn't recognize my MacMice mouse at all. I was quite dissapointed, as a usb peripheral as simple as a mouse should be universally recognized. Ah well. I'll still use the KVM and just use a microsoft mouse for the PC, connected directly to it.

OreoCookie
Dec 26, 2003, 11:48 PM

I have given my Apple ProKeyboard to my little brother. Works beautifully, even the volume controls work!

The mouse is another question, I got a Logitec with me.

BTW, the position of Apple and alt is switched on PC keyboards, that's why I stick to Mac keyboards.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 02:44 PM

Update: the macmice mouse is now recognized by XP. Weird. Nothing like reducing desk clutter. 2 kb/mouse was getting really annoying.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 05:57 PM

mauimac--

Your user name is my all time favorite. Do you want to trade? Even more I would like to trade locations (Maui no ka oi).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
BTW, the position of Apple and alt is switched on PC keyboards, that's why I stick to Mac keyboards.
Microsoft and Logitech both make Mac drivers for their keyboards. The drivers restore the modifier keys to where we expect them to be.

(Logitech even puts the Apple modifier key symbols on their keyboards, but they only have OS X drivers, so if you need OS 9 support, stick with the MS keyboards.)

tooki

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Microsoft and Logitech both make Mac drivers for their keyboards. The drivers restore the modifier keys to where we expect them to be.

(Logitech even puts the Apple modifier key symbols on their keyboards, but they only have OS X drivers, so if you need OS 9 support, stick with the MS keyboards.)

tooki
I don't need OS 9 support.

I also prefer the build-quality of my Apple Pro keyboard. (I could have taken a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, but I didn't like some small things, among others, the cursor keys.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 28, 2003, 05:50 PM

Then take a look at the Logitech.

Also, pretty much any USB keyboard should work (including the media keys) if you use USB Overdrive X.

tooki

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 06:29 PM

I've got a Microsoft IntelliMouse Blue and I like it a lot. It is really light weight and has a nice curve to the palm rest. Mosto f the Logitech mice I've tried have really flat palm rests which hurts my hand using them for a long time. This IntelliMouse replaced an older first generation optical IntelliMouse. I like these mice.

I've got a Logitech Web Keyboard IIRC. It has a decent feel to it but I'm after a decently priced Apple Pro keyboard. I don't use this keyboard on a PC much anymore so I'd really like to have the command and option keys in the correct spots. This would be a nicer keyboard if I could get the volume buttons and on-keyboard scroll wheel to work.

mauimac  (op)
Dec 30, 2003, 04:26 PM

thanks everyone for the great information...it really helps because the photos on the logitech site don't show enough-you can't see the keys or the top of the mice!

and..wizOSX..thanks for liking my username!
: )
maybe it's available at eBay cause I don't have it....

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by mauimac

and..wizOSX..thanks for liking my username!
: )
maybe it's available at eBay cause I don't have it....

Which might be available on eBay--your username or your location? Seriously, I was in Lahaina a couple of times in June. My daughters (ages 18 and 21) took surfing lessons one of the days. We love coming into Lahaina when we're in Maui. According to the MauiNews today you're having cool winter weather (about 75 degrees or so). And we're having an unusually warm last few days in December for Southern Ontario (highs of about 34 degrees). Everything is relative I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules