Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How much power does sleep use?

How much power does sleep use?
mauimac
Jan 2, 2004, 11:30 PM

Hi, I did a search and found a bunch of stuff on sleep vs. shutdown, and waking problems, but I can't seem to find a resource that helps one calculate how much power the computer actually uses when it sleeps. I have a G4 867 and work on it sporadically during the day, and my significant other is wondering how much it costs us when I'm NOT working on it....does anyone know how to figure out the electrical usage for a PowerMac? Our electric bill ought to help, once I figure out how much power the computer is using.
Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Jan 2, 2004, 11:33 PM

Check the Specifications in your owner's manual. It should be listed already.

Edit: sleep will be in the vicinity of 5W or less.
( Last edited by reader50; Jan 3, 2004 at 01:30 AM. )

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 01:14 AM

An average desktop PC consumes about 100watts of power (even though its power supply can, on occasion, draw several hundred watts). In sleep mode, significantly less.

Electricity is sold by the kilowatt/hour - that is, 1000watts for one hour. A PC would consume 2.4KW/H (24 x 100w) per day if left powered on. PS, the heating grid for electric-powered central
heat consumes about 20,000 watts, or 480 KW/H per day if it ran non-stop. It doesn't tho.
I just checked my power bill. In North Carolina I'm paying $.09 per KILOWATT/HOUR.

2.4 X .09 = 21 cents per day or about $6 per month.

I think that may be a bit high. I've had four or five peecees running 24/7 and didn't notice a $20+ increase in my electric bill.

If you 'sleep' your computer for an entire month, it probably wouldn't cost 25 cents for the electricity.

Tell your significant other that the blow dryer is off limits. That sucker draws 1500watts of electricity.

If saving money on your power bill is the goal - ignore lightbulbs, computers, and audio/video electronics. None of those things have a big impact on the monthly bill. Instead, limit your use of heat-generating electrical devices...oven, dryer, etc.

See that 20,000watt figure for electric heat? That's why insulation pays for itself so quick.

Those little 1200 watt portable space heaters will add $75/month to your power bill if it runs continuously.
( Last edited by kindbud; Jan 3, 2004 at 01:36 AM. )
the hillbilly threat is real, y'all.

mauimac  (op)
Jan 3, 2004, 02:03 AM

Thanks! That is so helpful, I really appreciate it!!!

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 03:08 AM

For a nice little reference check this out. It is a nice chart of the power used by common household appliances. Things that heat or cool things (food, air, water, etc.) use the most power. A computer is last on the list of things you should turn off to save power.

Forum Links
Forum Rules