Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mac office?

mac office?
Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 08:45 AM

i was wondering if os X comes with any word like program ... i need to type papers .. do rev C powerbooks 12inch come with any such program? if not where can i download a free or trial version? thank you.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 09:02 AM

Very basic, but OS X comes with "TextEdit"...but don't expect Microsoft Word type features or anything if that's what you are used to and looking for...

Plus, I am sure there are tons of freeware apps to look into.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 09:06 AM

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 05:28 PM

You can't print with Office Test Drive.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2004, 06:12 PM

There are many office solutions available for OS X. Try looking in the Software forum.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Very basic, but OS X comes with "TextEdit"...but don't expect Microsoft Word type features or anything if that's what you are used to and looking for...

Plus, I am sure there are tons of freeware apps to look into.
Well, you can create simple Word documents with TextEdit. That's a good thing.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 07:51 PM

You can use OpenOffice. It is a free app. You will need to download X11 from Apple in order to run the program. You can save your work as word documents. It isn't the greatest looking app in the word but it is very usable. Let us know if you have any questions.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/oo...oads.html#news

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 08:37 PM

Doesn't AppleWorks come included? Sure, it's a little long in the tooth, but it's still fine for Word Processing.

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 09:20 PM

Nope, Apple only bundles AppleWorks with their "consumer" models.

You can get MS Office v.X (education edition) for $150, but I'm assuming you're on a tight budget.

TextEdit with WordService (to add lots of goodies like word count) for free; Mellel a full-featured WP for $30 (shareware).

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 11:13 PM

As I recall AppleWorks is $49 with an educational discount. As mentioned there's also Mellel and Mariner Write. Microsoft Office v.x/2004 is a decent price for the Student/Teacher edition and will probably give you the most compatibility with Office users on PCs. While I really like OpenOffice I don't really recommend it on the Mac right now. It is a little too much of a hassle to use on Macs. If you're looking for a totally free word processor check out AbiWord. It is a long running open source word processor that runs natively on OSX (no need for X11). The OSX version can be a little flakey at times so you might want to go with one of the other apps so you can feel a bit more secure with your work.

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 11:53 PM

I can recommend Open office. It works perfectly for everything that I have asked of it. I'm just finishing up a 200+ page document with graphics, and I have no complaints.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 12:16 AM

As always, I'll put in my plug for NeoOffice/J:

If you want to use OpenOffice.org, but don't like X11, then try NeoOffice/J. It is OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 wrapped in Java so that it acts like a normal OS X application: It is a double-clickable app. It uses regular OS X print dialogs. It uses regular OS X fonts. It supports regular OS X language input methods (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.). It's very nice; give it a shot--it's also free, so you have nothing to lose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules