Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new cinema display as powerbook docking station...

new cinema display as powerbook docking station...
action
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 09:26 PM

hi gang,

i have read where people want a headless imac but to take it a step further, do you think there is any benefit to apple and to the consumer if:

the lcd studio displays had a built docking station for powerbooks in the rear.

you just slid the powerbook to a 23 inch studio display where the powerbook would be flat against the back of the monitor.

the monitor would be plugged into the wall for power thus recharging the powerbook at the sametime.

the displays could be used as stand alone displays for powermacs.

additionally the displays would have vertical slot loading optical drives on the side thus creating a solution for the single optical drive for powermac users and ease of use for powerbooks that are docked.

is this the imac/pizzabox concept?

would you as a consumer be interested in this and would this drive powerbook users to purchase cinema displays for apples or is this a stupid concept?

as always,

chung lee

Eugene Fields
Jun 24, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by action:
hi gang,

i have read where people want a headless imac but to take it a step further, do you think there is any benefit to apple and to the consumer if:

you just slid the powerbook to a 23 inch studio display where the powerbook would be flat against the back of the monitor.

the monitor would be plugged into the wall for power thus recharging the powerbook at the sametime.

the displays could be used as stand alone displays for powermacs.

additionally the displays would have vertical slot loading optical drives on the side thus creating a solution for the single optical drive for powermac users and ease of use for powerbooks that are docked.

is this the imac/pizzabox concept?

would you as a consumer be interested in this and would this drive powerbook users to purchase cinema displays for apples or is this a stupid concept?

as always,

chung lee
Where do I sign up to purchase
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

metallic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 12:03 AM

considoring the ports that would need to connect to the powerbooks are on its side....i dunno if that would work
isnt the power on different sides in different models? (left on 12 and right on 15 and 17?)
it would be good...but i wouldent count on it
[/mainframe]

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 08:37 AM

I'd get one, count me in !

They can make different models for the differently sized PB's, the Mac Designers can do anything, just look at the PB's !!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by metallic:
considoring the ports that would need to connect to the powerbooks are on its side....i dunno if that would work
isnt the power on different sides in different models? (left on 12 and right on 15 and 17?)
it would be good...but i wouldent count on it
The power on the 15 and 17's is on teh left as well.

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2004, 02:33 PM

methinks there may be some overheating issues with that design -- i've heard problems with running a PB with the screen closed.......but it's a promising idea -- work on it, submit it to Apple and demand a patent

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by action:
do you think there is any benefit to apple and to the consumer if:

action: I like your concept. But it makes no practical sense. There are 3 different PowerBooks and 2 different iBooks, not to mention all the discontinued models: too much variety to account for. In addition, desktop users wouldn't want to pay for a dock they will not use.

I would prefer that Apple revive the Duo Dock, which you could attach to a cinema display.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules