Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic faster than OS 9.1?

Classic faster than OS 9.1?
zorg128
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2001, 08:56 PM

I read somewhere that Classic under OSX final works faster than OS 9.1? Is that true?

Any experience?

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2001, 02:27 AM

Wow, I *love* the mouth-drop-open bit. That's cool.

Um, so anyway. I'm sure you've seen bunches of threads elsewhere, by now...

I think some OS functions may be snappier in Classic, (launching apps, opening files, etc) and my experience is that Classic *is* pretty speedy, but...

I don't see any way that any application running in Classic can, in general, be faster than the same application running in a raw boot of OS 9. Here's why: Classic is a process, just like any other in OS X, and as such it must share the processor with every other process. So in OS 9, the "Classic environment" can use every available processor cycle, since it's the only thing running on the processor. In OS X, Classic must compete for CPU time with everything else running on the machine. So it gets fewer cycles, and so its cooperatively threaded applications also get fewer cycles. It just doesn't make sense.

It's probable that Apple has given Classic a very high scheduling priority, so that it will get the lion's share of CPU time if it needs it. But I maintain that any app whose performance bottlenecks are in the CPU (that is, any app that does any real work ) cannot possibly perform better in Classic than in a raw boot of OS9.

An educated guess, not a statement of fact, of course.

sje789
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 01:01 PM

One explanation I have seen for why Classic might be faster is that it has to do less than OS 9 normally has to do.
OS 9 normally has to manage the whole OS, memory, disk access etc. But now that is done by OS X, and done more efficiently, according to almost everyone. Also, OS X lets Classic think that it has tons of memory. This shifts the virtual memory work over to OS X, which does a much better job at that than OS 9.

[This message has been edited by sje789 (edited 03-10-2001).]

Juggler
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2001, 04:38 PM

People might one to read an article on Mac Central where an explanation of why Classic might be faster than 9.1 is put forward. (The previous post more or less describes the same idea).

[This message has been edited by Juggler (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Juggler (edited 03-10-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules