Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DivX Player for OS X

DivX Player for OS X
ttoth
Aug 31, 2001, 06:56 AM

I know that the Divx Codec was originally written for Linux/Unix users and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good DivX player for OS X, since X has unix. If not, does anyone know where a good player for Linux/Unix is that will work on the Unix side of X? Also, how would one go about running a player through that side of X?

Thanks

SYN
Senior User
Aug 31, 2001, 07:46 AM

hehe...

Something GOOD is coming soon to OSX. Check this thread. The player should be out soon, but you can transcode you divxen to mpg1 right now. It's quite fast, and especially native, with no reliance whatsoever to WiMP.

Also, DivX was originally developed for Windows, not Linux
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2001, 07:54 AM

oh...um...SYN beat me to it, with better news than I was aware of...

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Spheric Harlot ]

sordid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2001, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I know Adrian, he has been working on the plugin for quicktime for a while now and he has also been able to play microsoft encoded divx files for about a month now in osx. I am assuming when he releases it the quality of it will be very good. His BPA client (for a cable modem service here in australia) is the best client available. Good things are comming

geran
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2001, 08:02 AM

Check this URL=http://www.oaai.com/GLYPHIXOnline/forum/mainpage.php?option=viewMessage&forumid=16&id=83&i ncrement=1]forum !! They are developing a divx player for macos x.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: geran ]

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by geran:
<STRONG>Check this forum]URL=http://www.oaai.com/GLYPHIXOnline/forum/mainpage.php? option=viewMessage&forumid=16&id=83&increment=1]forum !! They are developing a divx player for macos x.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: geran ]</STRONG>
That is, officially, the most badly mangled URL I've ever seen. Ya wanna try posting that again?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2001, 08:39 AM

I think this is the URL he was trying to send you to.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2001, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>hehe...

Something GOOD is coming soon to OSX. Check this thread. The player should be out soon, but you can transcode you divxen to mpg1 right now. It's quite fast, and especially native, with no reliance whatsoever to WiMP.

Also, DivX was originally developed for Windows, not Linux </STRONG>
hehe.... so THAT is what this thread is all about. i didn�t even dare reading it until now... well, the title never seemed too inviting for me clicking on it...

maybe i�ll be monitoring your progress now that i know.
keep the great work.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

ttoth  (op)
Aug 31, 2001, 06:44 PM

OK, after reading the "calling C programmers" post twice and not understanding it either time, I think I need to clarify my original post. I agree with one of the posters there and am just looking for something that will allow me to double click a DivX movie and it will launch a DivX player in OS X. I might even be willing to go into the terminal to run it, but I have to find out how first. And also get over my great fear of the command line interface.

We need to start a 12 step program for those of us afraid of the Command line.

Thanks.

-=(Lord Crosis)=-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
<STRONG>hehe.... so THAT is what this thread is all about. i didn�t even dare reading it until now... well, the title never seemed too inviting for me clicking on it...

maybe i�ll be monitoring your progress now that i know.
keep the great work. </STRONG>
Yeah, I named it that, not to attract everyone, mainly to attract the dev sorts that would be likely to be able to do something with ffmpeg and/or mplayer... And it looks like it was effective! Sorry for not naming the thread something more descriptive of it's actual content... ;^)

-=(Lord Crosis)=-
www.macopz.com

-=(Lord Crosis)=-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by ttoth:
<STRONG>OK, after reading the "calling C programmers" post twice and not understanding it either time, I think I need to clarify my original post. I agree with one of the posters there and am just looking for something that will allow me to double click a DivX movie and it will launch a DivX player in OS X. I might even be willing to go into the terminal to run it, but I have to find out how first. And also get over my great fear of the command line interface.

We need to start a 12 step program for those of us afraid of the Command line.

Thanks.</STRONG>
And that is precisely what that thread started: Someone started an open-source project called ffmpeg to write a CODEC that would encode and decode a variety of proprietary formats by rewriting them non-platform specific from the ground up. With previous Windows or Linux DivX players, MS owned libraries were required. With ffmpeg you have a CODEC that doesn't rely on anything MS owned but is fully compatable with DivX. ffmpeg on it's own with decode a DivX and encode it into another format (such as MPEG 1). A program like MPlayer can be built around ffmpeg so that when the DivX is decoded it is displayed on the screen instead of transcoded to another file. This is what Mark from OAAI is attempting to write for OS X, and so far it is looking quite good.

So to put a direct answer to your question: There is currently no OS X native program designed for playing back DivX content, but one is coming, hopefully very soon...

-=(Lord Crosis)=-
www.macopz.com

ttoth  (op)
Sep 1, 2001, 06:29 AM

Thank you Lord (Crosis), finally someone who understood what I was asking! Thanks all for the information, I'll keep an eye out for what I'm looking for since I'm sure with all the great and powerful Mac users here it will be accopmlished soon.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2001, 07:55 AM

here here! ( cant wait till "very soon" rolls around!)
_______void_______

Forum Links
Forum Rules