Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Who else has switched to OS X full time?

Who else has switched to OS X full time?
tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 04:23 PM

Man I tell you, I'm loving every minute of OS X. I installed when it came out and I haven't looked back since. I've only gone back to OS 9.1 ONCE when I had to reintsall the printer drivers for my HP Laserjet.

It's fast as hell on my G4/400 512 MB, and a little iffy on my Pismo 300 with 128 MB but I use it on both and have had no problems at all.

Anyone else going with OS X full time?

Oh, and in case you're wondering I DO work with my Macs, they're not just a hobby (well, they are actually), and I do most of my Ph.D. work in them.

Frank

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 04:28 PM

Me me me! I started using OS X full time as soon as I installed it.
I abused my signature until she cried.

jimmac
Apr 9, 2001, 04:33 PM

The only thing I drop back down into 9.1 for is games. I can't wait for them to be available in OS X!

Kosmo
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 04:36 PM

Well, me of course! Now that I've figured out this network printing deal I have no reason to boot into 9 except for burning CD's, which support is forthcoming in a matter of days now

------------------

http://www.macnet2.com

Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 04:36 PM

I reformatted my drive and did not even install OS 9.
you are not your signature

SaM 01
Apr 9, 2001, 04:38 PM

I did. Actually this is the first week where things are starting to feel sort of seamless that way. I finally got everything settling down a bit. I have a g3 B&W rev 1 with 320 megs.

At any given time I may use Photoshop, Fireworks, DreamWeaver, Quark, PowerPoint, Word, Entourage, Flash, Acrobat ... whatever else I need to get the job done.

The Prebinding optimization and speed disk have given me my biggest increases in speed.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2001, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Gametes:
I reformatted my drive and did not even install OS 9.
Ditto. OS9 is for losers.

'Course, I don't print (I hate paper), and even looking at screenshots of 9 makes me long for those lickable widgets in X.

------------------
The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Apr 9, 2001, 04:42 PM

I've been using it 100% since October.

A lot of people are complaining, but I have had *zero* of the problems they are having.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 04:44 PM

I use OSX exclusivly. I haven't booted into OS9 since I installed OSX final.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 04:45 PM

Had to boot back to do some Airport stuff but other than that it is 100% full go on X.

When I did boot back to 9.1 I missed the Dock, the CPU viewer and general look and feel.

Just installed PostgreSQL for X and loving every minute of it!

Happy X'er

BZ

me
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2001, 04:48 PM

I'm 99% OS X, I still need Toast and DVD! But man, even Real and WMP works well in classic!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2001, 04:51 PM

Using OS X exclusively here too. Only go into 9 for DVD viewing (rarely) and CD Burning. other than that Stay about 98% in OS X. Been using it since the 24th of March and loving every moment. Not going back. I also have not had any of the issues many others are having. Running that script to make things faster and things are excellent. OS X seems to be running swimmingly. (Sorry for the Aqua Type Pun)
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mememe (at work)
Apr 9, 2001, 04:58 PM

Im using X 98% of the time, I cant scan in Photshop in Classic so i must switch back.. anyone able to scan (UMAX Astra 2400S) in classic?

Despite the slowness (AGP G4/400 448MB Ram) its very usable. & I havent had 1 Kernel panic but a few lockups (spinning colored wheel in finder)

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 05:04 PM

I've been using it as my primary OS since September, and I rarely boot into OS 9.

------------------
"Ein kleiner Mensch stirbt - nur zum Schein"
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 05:06 PM

I'm using OS X 0.0000% of the time. ;-)
The OS X box on my bookshelf is my best substitute.

Us G4 DP / Modem users can't use it at all :-(

I can't wait though. Even though I started the slightly antagonistic Class-Action Lawsuit thread, I love what OS X promises. I'll switch over as soon as I can run it without kernel panicing multible times an hour. Classic has been solid on every app I've tried!

darrin

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
I'm using OS X 0.0000% of the time. ;-)
The OS X box on my bookshelf is my best substitute.

Us G4 DP / Modem users can't use it at all :-(

I can't wait though. Even though I started the slightly antagonistic Class-Action Lawsuit thread, I love what OS X promises. I'll switch over as soon as I can run it without kernel panicing multible times an hour. Classic has been solid on every app I've tried!

darrin
Have you tried unchecking the 'tcp echo' option in PPP options ? it worked for my brother (modem / DP 450).

------------------

Anonymous
Apr 9, 2001, 05:14 PM

I too have a G4/450 MP. However, I didn't buy it with a modem (shortsighted as I'll need one this summer), so I haven't been getting panics due to that. Regardless, I'm using X full time and the only thing that I can't do that I really need to is this: debugging classic applications with CodeWarrior. Must reboot to 9 to do that. Should be solved by a CodeWarrior update? Other than that, it's OS X 24/7.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 05:15 PM

I wish I only used X. Its slow . . . I use it once an a while. I think I will be happy with a new computer, version, and with a few more apps. Untill then I use 9.1 and NeXTStep .

------------------
Like the band TOOL? Want to stay up to date? Want to be sent news updates? Send an e-mail to [email protected] and put "subscribe" (without the
quotes) in the subject line of the email.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2001, 05:17 PM

Well I was using it for my main work until a couple of days ago, when I needed to set up Airport on my laptop and iMac. Unfortunately OS X's Airport support is poor (alright, pretty dismal). The only fixes available were command-line based. I dutifully typed them in - and nothing happened. No idea what I did wrong as I had no idea what I was typing. Woke me up to the only real weakness of OS X: the Unix command line supposedly adds power, but all its done is alienate me to the extent that I don't want to use it again - or have to buy a book to work out how to use an OS I've been earning my living on for the past few years.
So I've been forced back into OS 9 for the time being. Big shame as I was really enjoying the beauty of surfing under X. But as Airport was the only real problem I was having, I'm sure I'll be back full-time once someone has created a decent Airport solution.

Mr H

boticario
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 05:18 PM

I need to run Photoshop because of my job, so i need to run classic most of the times, but i've never started my cube with 9.1 since i installed X.

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 05:19 PM

I only go back to 9.1 for audio editing. But, as soon as Mark of the Unicorn makes Digital Performer for OS X...
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

davidski
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 05:22 PM

I'm in OS X now pretty much full-time, but it's been mostly surfing and email so far - I'll need awhile longer to see how well Classic works out with my graphic apps. I had some trouble with double-clicking files in Classic to open them, but 4L7 has fixed that. Illustrator wasn't behaving under PB, so now I'll have to take a second look. My only annoying problem currently is that my Airport likes to redial after I disconnect, and only a restart will stop it. All in all though, it seems usuable, and usually works quite well for me.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 05:27 PM

Using X full-time here.

I'm a CS major, and the built in Java compiler has made my life much easier. Running Tomcat locally lets me also build and test Java servlets, which is pretty nice too.

Uptime right now is: 5:25PM up 5 days, 18:16, 1 user, load averages: 0.17, 0.65, 0.72

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 05:31 PM

and the spoiler award goes to...dfiler. this thread says "Who else has switched to OS X full time?" not "who hasnt." at the very least your post is off topic...

im a dp 450 owner and have had zero kernal panicks, and only a few times had to do the ol' 3 finger salute to kill an app. i just reformatted my drive this weekend to get rid of os 9. im sure ill end up installing it again, but to me its a bit "last year" if you know what i mean. anyone know of a way to get X to stop looking for it from time to time?

not only that i got rid of my other powermac 8500 which was acting as a webserver, and software router (IPNetRouter). so X is saving me power too! (I live in california).

ppmax

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 05:38 PM

I thought about booting into OS 9 to make a disk image from a folder the other day, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I just stuffed it instead.

------------------

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 9, 2001, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by mr_sonicblue:
I thought about booting into OS 9 to make a disk image from a folder the other day, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I just stuffed it instead.

Can't you use OS X's Disk Copy to make disk images? I haven't tried myself, I'm just wondering.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Can't you use OS X's Disk Copy to make disk images? I haven't tried myself, I'm just wondering.
I think it can only mount them.

------------------

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 9, 2001, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by mr_sonicblue:
I think it can only mount them.

You're right. I just checked. Silly OS X Disk Copy.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 05:56 PM

There's a freeware called ImageMaker that allows you to make disk images in X.

------------------

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
There's a freeware called ImageMaker that allows you to make disk images in X.
Slick, thanks.

------------------

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 06:27 PM

I have been running it since the day it was released. Its been pretty snappy too! I've been mainly running IE5 and Entourage. Occasionally I will drop into QuarkXPress (which works fine with Font Reserve) to do "real" work, when I have to-now that I can print again. All in all its been a good experience for me.
Tom

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 06:28 PM

I have switched. I got OS X on the 21st at Staples. God I love their stupidity. Anyway. I only had to go into classic to burn cd's but I have ordered toast so that's only a temporary problem. Also Toast and disc burner will soon be compatible. I'm looking forward to that. It'll be a great OS once CD-R support, DVD support, and DreamWeaver come out for OS X. I can't see why any one would buy a wintel machine. Just one look and you can see that OS X is the future. Microsoft is dust in out tracks.

HA HA HA !!!!! OS X RULES!!!
G4 Cube Owner :-)

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 06:37 PM

I too am using os X full time, with no problems to speak right now. I don't do much burning or DVD watching on my machine, so there's no need for me to reboot. I've got a dp g4 500 w/512 RAM, and classic runs my Photoshop splendidly for me. OS X at work on the g4 450 is considerably slower, but I am using it there as well (yes, i have the proper number of licenses to run in both places).

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2001, 06:46 PM

Can't use OS X full time on either my Beige G3 or Ti500 for the following reasons:

Beige G3: Serial printing not supported, even tho I have a USB supported Epson 740 printer. Not being able to print is a major issue, folks! Retrospect not supported for CD-R backups. CD-R burning in general not supported (can't use Toast) SCSI scanner not supported.

Ti500: Lexar CompactFlash USB reader not supported. I depend on this for my digital photos.

I'm so amazed how so many of you can move to OS X with these kinds of serious limitations...

the rev
Apr 9, 2001, 06:48 PM

I wish I could count myself among the lucky people who use X fulltime, but alas.... I do audio recording with MOTU Hardware/Software(MOTU 2408mkII w/ PCI324 & Digital Performer), and, since Classic has no hardware access, I can't record! I also can't print in X, which puts me in the 90% usage range.

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 07:10 PM

I've switched too and love MacOS X even though launching apps is unbearably slow. Everything else works perfectly. I use word, photoshop and dreamweaver in classic and it works flawlessly.

Since I update to 4L7 a week ago there have been no system crashes. I haven't restarted once and the system feel rock solid. Can't say I'm totally at ease with everything yet but I'm getting there. Overall it's a great experience. And os x is fun too!

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2001, 07:33 PM

I've been using OS X since March 24, and I think I have restarted to OS 9 once or twice for a short time since then. I even ran without restarting or shutting down for over a week. Anyone done that in OS 9? I doubt many have.

Don't get me wrong, OS 9 is great, and it's nice and fast, but it is nowhere near as stable as OS X, in my experience.

[This message has been edited by dn15 (edited 04-09-2001).]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2001, 07:48 PM

I'd be full-time, except for two things: Toast and Epson Photo 750 drivers (I've got it connected via USB, but the drivers aren't there, which pisses me off since the 740, off of which it was based, is supported, as is the Photo 800, another printer in the Photo line, are both supported; how hard can it be to adapt the driver set to a 750?)

Other than that, it's OSX all the way. I hardly ever even use Classic.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

SnowmanX
Apr 9, 2001, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by tanhauser:
Man I tell you, I'm loving every minute of OS X. I installed when it came out and I haven't looked back since. I've only gone back to OS 9.1 ONCE when I had to reintsall the printer drivers for my HP Laserjet.

It's fast as hell on my G4/400 512 MB, and a little iffy on my Pismo 300 with 128 MB but I use it on both and have had no problems at all.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I DO work with my Macs, they're not just a hobby (well, they are actually), and I do most of my Ph.D. work in them.

Frank

Uh, hmm...Unless I'm mistaken and there was a North America/International (Europe only?) PowerBook spec discrepancy (� la latest iMac(s)) that I'm unaware of, the Pismo (aka PowerBook 2000, PowerBook FireWire model, etc.) did not come in a 300Mhz model -- only 400 and 500Mhz G3's.

And in answering your question, when I'm on my Mac, I'm in X 95% of the time. Kinda hard to put an exact figure on it, but I reboot into 9.1 to basically play Unreal Tourney/TacOps.
You can ask me anything. Just don't question me.

SherlockFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 08:01 PM

Happily moving right along here with OS X. Have brought up Classic a couple of times clicking on photos or simpletext files, other than that, full time OS X. Have printed in it as well. Running beautifully for me on 400mhz (PCI), 320mb ram G4.

Love it!

Melissa

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 08:43 PM

I use OS X since the 26(day it arrived) and no problems at all, granted I bought a 450MP but I got it for X. The only reason I boot into 9 is for films as a blew all my cash on the mp.

BTW i am a cs student and all my programming and web page design is done in X or classic mode as it isn't any slower IMHO.

Nice to others enjoying the experience

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 08:51 PM

I use OS X since the 26(day it arrived) and no problems at all, granted I bought a 450MP but I got it for X. The only reason I boot into 9 is for films as a blew all my cash on the mp.

BTW i am a cs student and all my programming and web page design is done in X or classic mode as it isn't any slower IMHO.

Nice to others enjoying the experience

If this it a repost its because I failed to appear so I pasted it in again.... damn ubb

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

tanhauser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by SnowmanX:

Uh, hmm...Unless I'm mistaken and there was a North America/International (Europe only?) PowerBook spec discrepancy (� la latest iMac(s)) that I'm unaware of, the Pismo (aka PowerBook 2000, PowerBook FireWire model, etc.) did not come in a 300Mhz model -- only 400 and 500Mhz G3's.
My bad... I meant Pismo 400, I was thinking of my girlfriend's PB 333 (bronze keyboard).

Frank

MacFan
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 06:19 AM

Use 9 to scan and burn CD's. Once I can do this in X, 9 with go bye bye as I really don't need it for anything that X does not already have

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 06:58 AM

I'm using OS X exclusively. I still use OS 9 on my iBook, I'm waiting until all the bugs are out of that one. But I find I spend more time on the computer with OS X
My pants are fancier than yours!

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2001, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by tanhauser:

Frank
I'm full time too on 500mhz Pismo. It's actually better for what i'm doing - being a comp sci student

Regards the 300mhz Pismo - there isn't one. I think you mean 300mhz Lombard

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2001, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by fmalloy:
I'm so amazed how so many of you can move to OS X with these kinds of serious limitations...
Which only means, I guess, that we don't see any serious limitations to using X full time.

------------------
The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

StRaNgE
Apr 10, 2001, 08:06 AM

I've been using X since it's release. Not a single kernal panic, and the only crashes I've had were with carbon apps. Last night I switche dback into classic so that I could play quake on my radeon card as from within X it was extremely sluggish. as soon as I switched back though and played the game at 1024x768 I realised what I'd been missing. I promptly went onto the internet and went back to using IE in 9.1 no IE crashes, quick surfing. OK I had to put up with the ugly interface, but my dv cam worked, all my games worked at fast speed.

I am so desperate for X to be fully working, these things take time. X interface is indeed slow and sluggish, and needs a lot of optimisation to be practical in a production environment. Apple is still selling imac's with that 'burn' advert, yet we still haven't had the dvd/cdrw drivers. anyone have any news on when updates are coming out? I wish apple had been more honest with people as to the reality of the current state of os X.

does anyone know anything more about the current update status of X?

/StRaNgE

Group51
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
I'm full time too on 500mhz Pismo. It's actually better for what i'm doing - being a comp sci student

Regards the 300mhz Pismo - there isn't one. I think you mean 300mhz Lombard
No, I think you mean the 300Mhz WallStreet.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2001, 10:05 AM

I've used Mac OS X since DP3 as my only OS. The only time I booted into OS 9 was to install the Public Beta and Mac OS X Final. I love it. My iBook runs Mac OS 9 because of the low RAM I have in it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules