Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 60 GB iPod with photo capability is coming

60 GB iPod with photo capability is coming
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 07:37 AM

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 07:50 AM

Darn. Just noticed that there is already a thread about color iPod.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=231160

Well, didn't mention the 60 GB in the title...

Anyways, IBL !

-t

Gussy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 08:34 AM

is this usually a reliable source, im kinda new

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Gussy:
is this usually a reliable source, im kinda new
ThinkSecret has a good track record. I have yet to read an inaccurate report from them.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
ThinkSecret has a good track record. I have yet to read an inaccurate report from them.

Noah
Seconded.
It's more than 1/2 years ago that they had their last major inaccuracy, it was before MacWorld Jan 03.

-t

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 06:23 PM

Actually, this could be very cool. A color screen isn't that important for just listening to music, but to have all of your photos with you just like you have all (or most) of your music would be very nice, assuming the iPhoto integration works as well as the iTunes integration. I've tried doing similar things with my PDA, but that entails shrinking down my photo library so they will fit on a PDA memory card and so the PDA won't choke when trying to display them. Which brings up an interesting point -- does the iPod have enough processing power to display a 4 or 5 megapixel photo in a reasonable amount of time?

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 06:33 PM

My dream would be iPod with 200GB and can store anything from mp3,mpeg/movie files,photos,etc.

Gussy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by maxx9photo:
My dream would be iPod with 200GB and can store anything from mp3,mpeg/movie files,photos,etc.
You can put anything on your iPod, its a hard drive

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 11:02 PM

it's not a swiss army knife .....

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by maxx9photo:
Nope. My dream is an Apple-made PDA phone that has built in Wi-fi and Bluetooth, sort of like that HP PDA phone that is available through T-Mobile.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 09:46 AM

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

xenu
Senior User
Oct 9, 2004, 07:11 PM

Just as long as it doesn't have a built-in camera.

I'm buying a new PDA in the next 3 months. I'm happy to give my money to Apple instead of PalmOne. I'm also in the market for a digital camera. Being able to hook the iPod to the camera to download and preview would be useful.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by xenu:
Just as long as it doesn't have a built-in camera.

I'm buying a new PDA in the next 3 months. I'm happy to give my money to Apple instead of PalmOne. I'm also in the market for a digital camera. Being able to hook the iPod to the camera to download and preview would be useful.
Why not put a digital camera on the iPod? I always thought it would be cool to have a pinhole camera on the back. They could somehow devise the pixel aspect ratio to be the same as what you would see on the chrome surface.

Anyway your post contradicts itself.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Typical Apple MacNN'er response.

You kids bore me.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
it's not a swiss army knife .....
Whatever.

You can wish that the iPod will still have a monochrome screen ten years from now but technology advances and the competition dictates that Apple must put a color screen on the iPod and expand it's abilities.

Apple Nutters continue to amuse me.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Actually, this could be very cool. A color screen isn't that important for just listening to music, but to have all of your photos with you just like you have all (or most) of your music would be very nice,...-- does the iPod have enough processing power to display a 4 or 5 megapixel photo in a reasonable amount of time?
Exactly.

I want and predict that Apple will sooner or later come out with a fully iApped enabled iPod.

I would suspect they'll have to put a graphics card of sorts in the iPod to achieve any playback effects such as dissolves. Straight images shouldn't be a problem though though it will probably do a downconversion of sorts to make it viewable on a tv.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 03:45 PM

This is nifty and all, but I don't really need to carry around 25,000 photos. I don't even have 1000 photos.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
This is nifty and all, but I don't really need to carry around 25,000 photos. I don't even have 1000 photos.
It can also be argued that you don't need to carry around 20,000 songs.

For 90% of people 10GB should be fine for an MP3 player. The nice thing about the iPod though, is that it can be used to transfer files between computers, backup, and if this rumor comes true it can be used for showing off your photos.

As more and more features (music, pictures, movies?) are added to the iPod, people will demand more storage for their files. So I'm all for this new higher capacity iPod.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 04:36 PM

if the ipod can display photos, and play music at the same time, couldn't it be possible to play video? If there is a high resolution screen, full color, video out, there should definately be video capibilities. I guess it all depends on processor power / battery.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
if the ipod can display photos, and play music at the same time, couldn't it be possible to play video? If there is a high resolution screen, full color, video out, there should definately be video capibilities. I guess it all depends on processor power / battery.
Knowing Apple, they would intentionally cripple the iPod (video), just so they had something to make people buy the "next iPod". The iPod will definitely be there oneday, it's just a matter of when.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2004, 01:27 AM

I can easily fill up 60 gigs for music. The toshiba one with a 2.2 inch screen has a whopping 11 hours of battery life. I also think it has optical out if i remember correctly.

I don't mind having 10 hours of battery. I mean who listens to that much music in one sitting any way. people always complain about battery life 10 is more than enough.
2.2 inch screen would be nice with a very high res oled.

60 gigs and optical.

Maybe fm /voice recording

xenu
Senior User
Oct 11, 2004, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Why not put a digital camera on the iPod? I always thought it would be cool to have a pinhole camera on the back. They could somehow devise the pixel aspect ratio to be the same as what you would see on the chrome surface.

Anyway your post contradicts itself.
I would hate to have a pinhole camera on the iPod. I will never buy a gadget with a built-in camera. If I want to take a photo, I will use a "real" camera.

That's why my post does not contradict itself. I want a camera, not a crappy add-on. I also think downloading images from the camera to an iPod for previewing would be useful.

Just my opinion.
( Last edited by xenu; Oct 11, 2004 at 04:57 AM. )
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2004, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by xenu:
I would hate to have a pinhole camera on the iPod. I will never buy a gadget with a built-in camera. If I want to take a photo, I will use a "real" camera.

That's why my post does not contradict itself. I want a camera, not a crappy add-on. I also think downloading images from the camera to an iPod for previewing would be useful.

Just my opinion.
Not just yours.

Jobs has stated that one reason why the iPod is so successful is because it does ONE THING well, rather than fifty badly. I already have a crappy camera in my phone.

Do I really want $40 added to the iPod for ANOTHER crappy camera? Does anybody?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2004, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
I can easily fill up 60 gigs for music. The toshiba one with a 2.2 inch screen has a whopping 11 hours of battery life. I also think it has optical out if i remember correctly.

I don't mind having 10 hours of battery. I mean who listens to that much music in one sitting any way. people always complain about battery life 10 is more than enough.
There is no such thing as "enough battery life". A six-hour drive over the weekend means I need to pack the adapter and recharge for the return trip. One more thing to pack - or forget: I hate power adapters.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 12:26 PM

I have a question about how apple will integrate photo support...

I do not name my photos, so the names of my thousands of photos are generally IMG_2043, or something like that. I do have some decent albums made for organization purposes, but I don't think I'd care enough to go through and rename all of my photos so I could find them on my ipod.

I guess apple could have small previews of each pictures, but then you could only fit a couple on the screen at the same time - it might take a while to find that one shot you're looking for.

Does anyone else see this interface problem, or am I missing something?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
There is no such thing as "enough battery life". A six-hour drive over the weekend means I need to pack the adapter and recharge for the return trip. One more thing to pack - or forget: I hate power adapters.
are you saying you listen to more than 6 hours of music in one sitting. Wow thats a lot of music I must say. Get solar panels if your so worried about battery life.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
I have a question about how apple will integrate photo support...

I do not name my photos, so the names of my thousands of photos are generally IMG_2043, or something like that.
Me neither, so what a mess that would be.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
are you saying you listen to more than 6 hours of music in one sitting. Wow thats a lot of music I must say. Get solar panels if your so worried about battery life.
I'm saying that when I went on an overnight trip the other day, my iPod was dead on the way back because I didn't bring the power brick.

Accept that as YMMV, so may mine and others'.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by storer:
Me neither, so what a mess that would be.
I would think/hope that navigating photos on an iPod would be a visual experience, not a filename based one. Not unlike navigating them in iPhoto, but with the downside of only seeing a couple of pictures at a time, (probably 1), unless they completey redesign the form factor and display.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 12, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
I took over a 1000 photos just on my last 2 week vacation, and each photo is around 3 MB. That's 3+ GB of photos right there.

It'd be great to be able to use an iPod to store the photos, instead of taking along a laptop or a separate image storage device.

But alas, I might get a 3rd party image storage device anyway, along with an iPod mini, when I sell my iPod 3G.... esp. if the Apple unit doesn't support RAW format images for viewing.

Nawoo
Oct 12, 2004, 12:33 PM

Hmm, does that mean Apple will have to write an iphoto software for windows users too?

I'm an ibook user, but just recently built a pc rig with a 20inch cinema display for editing photos

Always loved iphoto. Its such a great way to compile photos and keep them organized. Love the ability to create slideshows with music too

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 01:19 PM

The rumor made it all the way to CNN.com's front page this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/1...eut/index.html

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 01:30 PM

...I admit it, I like to have the top of the line when it comes to gadgets.
I have a 3rd gen, but I'm going to have to work hard to get this thing if/when it comes out.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
Hmm, does that mean Apple will have to write an iphoto software for windows users too?
I asked about this too when people were talking about iPod sport a few weeks ago.

mattyd
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
I suspect we'll start seeing some Mac only iPod features. They've got to figure out a way to get all those Windows using iPod owners to switch to a Mac.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:
Nope. My dream is an Apple-made PDA phone that has built in Wi-fi and Bluetooth, sort of like that HP PDA phone that is available through T-Mobile.
The PDA and Bluetooth� features I agree with.

As I just mentioned in my other post, though, I would especially like to see the following additional features:
  • a backlit TFT color screen with at least 480x320 pixel resolution in at least 65,536 colors (the same specifications as for the new PEG-UX50)
  • a built-in speaker, preferably with stereo sound
  • a directly editable memo function
  • a directly editable calendar function
  • a directly editable address book function
  • a matching sylus, for entering text in a memo function
  • an addictive color game, such as Bejeweled

I don't want to need to carry around a separate PDA and iPod, and I'd rather have my money for a PDA go to Apple so that they can stay afloat and keep creating better Macs and Mac accessories.

The main reasons that I don't just rush out and get a Sony� Cli� PDA right now are the following:
  • iPod's have more memory than Cli�'s, and are much more cost-efficient for storing large quantities of music
  • iPod's, being made from the same manufacturer as Mac's, probably have more seamless integration with Mac's than Cli�'s
  • most iPod's match my PowerBook in style (IMHO) better than most Cli�'s

What I would most prefer is an iPod that would integrate most of the features of a current Cli� PEG-UX50 with all of the features of a current iPod, and then extend the features of both even further. Ideally, it would have all of the following features:
  • an 80 GB HD (because I want it to play 20 GB of music and back up my 60 GB PowerBook HD)
  • a backlit TFT color screen with at least 480x320 pixel resolution in at least 65,536 colors (the same specifications as for the new PEG-UX50)
  • a built-in speaker, preferably with stereo sound
  • a directly editable memo function
  • a directly editable calendar function
  • a directly editable address book function
  • the same great music-related functions as on the current iPod
  • the same great buttons as on the current iPod
  • essentially the same great user interface as on the current iPod
  • a matching sylus, for entering text in a memo function
  • Bluetooth� syncing ability
  • an addictive color game, such as Bejeweled
  • compatibility with an online cell-phone-based RPG, such as Before Crisis�: Final Fantasy� VII (currently available for certain cellular phones in Japan)

If Apple wants to specialize, perhaps they could renew the Newton�? I would rather purchase a single updated Newton� with current both iPod and Cli� functionality than both a current iPod and a current Cli�--doing so would be too heavy, bulky, and inconvenient.

-- DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 09:18 PM

shut up.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 10:40 PM

no, no. It's shut up�

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by DekuDekuplex:
[B][*]essentially the same great user interface as on the current iPod[*]a matching sylus, for entering text in a memo function
Anybody else see the contradiction?

You want the same great iPod interface, BUT you want a stylus interface.

COMPLETELY different concepts.

You want a Clie with a larger hard drive, not an iPod.

-s*

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 11:08 AM

Wieso ?
Da will jemand die eierlegende Wollmilchsau, sonst nix

-t

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 11:37 AM

My prediction: Apple will release a device remotely similar to the rumor sites, without 1/4 of the crap mentioned here.

As with the original iPod, angered nonusers will yap about its worthlessness, exorbitant price, and it's lack of WIFI, bluetooth, VGA, etc.

And, as with the original--and the mini--it will be a hit regardless. Why? Because the stuff you guys wish for aren't mainstream.

Apple isn't trying for the iPod to be a niche player this time around. I think they've learned not to listen to us (READ: G4 Cube). It's working.

I shall post to this thread when my predictions are realized.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
My prediction: Apple will release a device remotely similar to the rumor sites, without 1/4 of the crap mentioned here.

As with the original iPod, angered nonusers will yap about its worthlessness, exorbitant price, and it's lack of WIFI, bluetooth, VGA, etc.

And, as with the original--and the mini--it will be a hit regardless. Why? Because the stuff you guys wish for aren't mainstream.

Apple isn't trying for the iPod to be a niche player this time around. I think they've learned not to listen to us (READ: G4 Cube). It's working.

I shall post to this thread when my predictions are realized.

The only point I hope they'll add is audio in.

But probably not.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 04:30 PM

I'm always amazed by what people want apple to create. Even with apple, a 'jack of all trades' device, is seldom a master of any of those trades. iPod is such a rocking success because it's the best MP3 player out there. It's not the cheapest, the biggest, or have the most battery life, but the fact that does what it's supposed to do is what counts.

The movie playing, color screen, PDA, video game device, bluetooth headphoned, DVI out, wifi, blow job enabled ipod will not do any of those thing well, and will cost $800 and have 28 minute battery life.

ImpulseResponse

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by GSixZero:
I'm always amazed by what people want apple to create. Even with apple, a 'jack of all trades' device, is seldom a master of any of those trades. iPod is such a rocking success because it's the best MP3 player out there. It's not the cheapest, the biggest, or have the most battery life, but the fact that does what it's supposed to do is what counts.

The movie playing, color screen, PDA, video game device, bluetooth headphoned, DVI out, wifi, blow job enabled ipod will not do any of those thing well, and will cost $800 and have 28 minute battery life.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
shut up.
Grow up.

-- DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
no, no. It's shut up�

No, no. It's Grow Up�.

-- DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 06:49 PM

You want the same great iPod interface, BUT you want a stylus interface.

COMPLETELY different concepts.

You want a Clie with a larger hard drive, not an iPod.

-s*
No, I don't see any contradiction. Just take the current iPod, make the screen touch-sensitive, and add a stylus on the side.

The problem with a Sony� Cli� is that it doesn't come with a "hard drive" in the first place. I just checked the specifications for the currently top-of-the-line Cli� PEG-UX50, and even it doesn't come with one.

Can you give even a single example of any Cli� that has ever come with a built-in hard drive? I want a PDA that can also store 20 GB of music economically, and you recommend a "Cli� with a larger hard drive?"

Anybody else see the real contradiction?

-- DekuDekuplex
( Last edited by DekuDekuplex; Oct 13, 2004 at 06:54 PM. )
-- Matsuo Basho

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:20 PM

It's not that simple! You want to add a stylus, handwriting recognition, the ability to write to the disk to add contacts, memo, etc.

The iPod isn't very multipurpose at the moment, sort of like a ducati. I love my ducati because it goes really fast and is really sexy. How come they can't make it carry my kids, $100 worth of groceries, take 4 mile offroad trip to my cabin while carrying my skis?

ImpulseResponse

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 09:01 AM

I'm glad to see the pendulum shifting back to reality. The iPod is great as is. Too many new saavy features will confuse average Joe consumers. Then Microsoft will pounce, and we'll see that market share start to deteriorate.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 12:48 PM

I expect Apple to add small things to the iPod over time. I don't expect them to add twenty new things all at once. Eventually, whether you want to believe it or not, the iPod will become a PDA/MP3 player like device. The iPod will never lose it's roots, but you'd be foolish to think it will stop changing and remain solely an MP3 player, till the end of time. Apple has a chance to turn the iPod into something much bigger than it is today and I fully expect them to do that, just in a slow concise manner.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules