Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] a first try icons

[ANN] a first try icons
number_six
Nov 22, 2004, 06:07 AM

Here are my very first icons.

Highly inspired by Gerrit Vanoppen DESTYL icons and his sense of aesthetic. Thanks to discussions, advices with him, I create these icons.I was inspired also by the magnificent work of Grayhouse box icons.

Be aware that they are a first try, and my first incursion in the GUI artistic movement.

Preview

download

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2004, 06:41 AM

Interesting, and this goes for the originals as well, I wonder about the usability at smaller sizes, or in the docks. Lots of icons look really good large, but they don't work well when shrunk down.
But good job for a first time, very complimentary.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 08:17 AM

Very nice first try!!!!!!!!!!!! keep up the good work

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 09:23 AM

Love this style so modern and minimal. I just wish there were more modern minimalistic themes for Mac.

Looks like the PC already people have theme:

SHADED
NANO

ZX
DK

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 10:07 AM

very nice. i hope you keep working at them and refining your style. i, too, much love this aesthetic, but there are some usability issues that must be conquered, especially, as mentioned above, for smaller state / dock icons. the application icons, again we have the problem of having to read our icons :-[ to some extent, that's okay for filetypes, but for applications residing in the dock? >_<;;
i really hope you keep going with these though. very promising indeed, and along with destyl, very refreshing.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

AveTenebrae
Nov 22, 2004, 10:32 AM

Good start number_six !
need some more work but i like them. Be careful when you use shadows. Yours are too dark, they have to be more subtle i think.

ps : wow i love the Shaded theme, any os x port ?

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 11:50 AM

Having had the pleasure to give some advice to number_six in his design process, we came up with the idea to color-code the app icons. Roughly put :
  • - red for entertainment
    - yellow for graphic design
    - blue for communication like web, mail
It was definitely meant as an attempt to make app icons more usable p.e. from the Dock.
But true minimalism is perhaps a bit about sacrifice... people. You can't have it both ways

@ ZXspectrum and Ave

Worth mentioning : Sone by imrik
I'm studying heylove's and grayhouse's visual styles for a while now. I think they're splendid. If I only had themeing time...

number_six  (op)
Nov 22, 2004, 12:11 PM

Thank you everybody for your positive, encouraging comments.

I realize that the icons are not perfectly balanced, that the shadow is too dark, but anyway, I wanted to show you the baby.

I hope to continue developing a certain idea of minimalism, more deeply, and may be more usable, as long as I will become better in Photoshop.

I had so many feedbacks with Gerrit Vanoppen that some times I had the impression to harcel him, but thanks to him, I have a clearer idea of what look I want for these.

To be continued,

And thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules