Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Justifications for the iPod shuffle

Justifications for the iPod shuffle
yuhui
Jan 16, 2005, 10:54 PM

Hi everyone,

After reading the complaints against the iPod shuffle, I thought I'd post my views about it and why the iPod shuffle is a justified product... for a particular target market.

You can read more here.

In summary, I believe that the iPod shuffle is target at people who enjoy a subset of their music library and want to listen to it in differing play orders to keep it interesting. And it's also targeted at trendy people, particularly women.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 11:12 PM

All thes ecomplaints are unfounded.

Firstly the iPod shuffle is great for those who excercise. Especially with adventure sports. Who needs a screen when you are mt biking, hiking, skiing or doing other things like that? It's just rediculous. also I'd ratehr take the iPod shuffle with me while doing these activities so I Don't break my iPod photo. Sorr but 99 or 149 dollars is MUCH easier to swallow if it gets broken than 499+.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 17, 2005, 12:12 AM

Some people will complain about anything, some will complain about EVERYthing. The iPod shuffle is just another flash music player, some will like it's simplicity, design, function etc - some won't. And some will just hate it because they hate everything Apple.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 09:41 AM

Steve was very clear in his speach that Apple is out to gain a hold in the flash player market in which it lacked a device. Mac mini is based on consumer demand for a less expensive Mac.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 10:29 AM

I do not have an iPod, but will be picking up an iPod shuffle.

Reasons:
- I could never justify the price.
- I don't listen to that much music when away from my computer.
- I felt that is was "one less thing to worry about" (Cell $250; Digital Camera $500... I can't temp putting another $250 - $500 product in my pocket)
- I would feel uncomfortable with an iPod jogging, hiking, biking.

I'm NOT saying the iPod and iPod mini aren't amazing products, but $100 - $150 is my cut off... and 240 songs is more then enough for someone that rides the metro to work.

A screen would have been nice... but it's only 240 songs or 20 albums. It's not like I'm going to load various playlists in to a 1GB iPod shuffle.

Just my 2�

Forum Links
Forum Rules