Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MidiSport 4x4

MidiSport 4x4
devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2000, 12:59 PM

Has anyone gotten the MidiSport 4x4 USB interface working on the new dual processor G4s?

I bought it 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten it to work yet. It keeps freezing my computer as soon as I plug it into the USB port.

Last week MidiMan posted new drivers specifically to fix a problem with the dual G4s, but it didn't help. I still freeze. I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten anywhere with this thing.

->Later.....Spice

D-man
Sep 19, 2000, 09:10 AM

devospice,

I had the exact same problem as have many gigabyte ethernet G4 musicians, but there is a solution. Something has changed in the new gigabyte G4's that makes the Midisport and also MOTU Fastlane midi to usb interfaces not work anymore. Midiman claimed to have solved it with a driver update last week but it didn't work. Their tech support is just stalling anyone who inquires until they can figure it out, it seems. Check out the following thread on the Cubase.net forums for Mac:
http://www.cubase.net/transmissions_...d=030101070301

The only solution so far is to buy the Roland UM-2 midi/usb interface. For some reason it works fine. It's $79 from www.edirol.com. (a sub-divison of Roland)

So it depends on how long you want to wait for midiman. They are trying atleast which is better than some companies would do.

D-man
Sep 19, 2000, 09:17 AM

The above link just takes you to cubase.net forums, apparently. From there select Cubase for Mac, and then the thread topic is "Gigabyte G4's a Bust?"

D.

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 11:10 AM

Thanks. I'll check out the discussion.

I actually called the tech-support on Friday to see what they would say. The guy I spoke to didn't know that the 450's also had the problem. He was under the impression that the 500's were the only problematic machines. I asked him to sign me up to be a beta tester, which he did, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

->Later.....Spice

D-man
Sep 19, 2000, 01:18 PM

Devo,

The problem is with all gigabyte ethernet G4s (400, 450, 500) shipped since July 17/2000.

I went ahead and bought the Roland UM-2 and it works beautifully. It's not a new product so it's just a happy accident that it works when the other ones won't. My midisport is back in it's box on the shelf (if anyone wants it for their older usb mac or PC). I bought it in May and used it on a PC for a while so it's too late for a refund. But you should be able to return yours, maybe swap it for the Roland if you can as some users did on the Cubase forum.

D.

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2000, 01:26 PM

Just as an update if anyone's interested MidiMan released new drivers the other day for the whole MidiSport line. They seem to work IF you have virtual memory turned on. With VM off the computer freezes as before.

This is still a problem because Cubase VST won't run with VM on.

My new Roland UM-2 arrived this morning. The MidiSport 4x4 will be going back to the store tomorrow.

->Later.....Spice

Forum Links
Forum Rules