Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" 867 Mhz Rev Powerbook and TIGER

12" 867 Mhz Rev Powerbook and TIGER
cobra7869
Oct 3, 2005, 12:28 PM

Hi All. I recently upgraded my OS from 10.3.9 to 10.4.2. It takes about 3 minutes and then the fan starts running. This is not a low hum, this is fairly loud. Has anyone else experienced this? I was/am assuming it is the graphic nature of the OS. I have hidden Dashboard from the dock as I do not use it much and it's reponse is slow. My machine is getting dated, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this same thing.

Thanks
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2005, 04:27 PM

I just saw something about this on the internet, it suggested re-setting the PMU.
Check this page and look for your model Powerbook and follow the instructions
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Here's a link to the page I found incase you're wondering where I got the information from.

http://homepage.mac.com/cherrypop/ib...88/E397269391/
( Last edited by seanc; Oct 4, 2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added more information!)

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cobra7869
Hi All. I recently upgraded my OS from 10.3.9 to 10.4.2. It takes about 3 minutes and then the fan starts running. This is not a low hum, this is fairly loud. Has anyone else experienced this? I was/am assuming it is the graphic nature of the OS. I have hidden Dashboard from the dock as I do not use it much and it's reponse is slow. My machine is getting dated, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this same thing.

Thanks

I have the same machine, and since upgrading to Tiger the fan runs most of the time. It's annoying, but I've learned to live with it. However -- I'm going to follow the links from the poster above to see if that helps.

papworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by cobra7869

Thanks
Me too. i've got a rev a 12" 867 pwrbook and it too heats up like a toaster after a few minutes, though will stay cool if its just playing music or anything that isn't intense on the gpu.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2005, 09:22 AM

Here's how to fix it..............

http://www.deleet.de/ray/pbfanfix.html

The fix does work on 10.4.x.

NOTE: This fixes the fan constantly running. It does NOT fix the excess heat issue. The bottom line is Apple's "fix" for the heat issue is to have the fan come on at a lower temperature. In reality, it still gets too hot AND to add insult to injury the darn fan is running all the time to boot. I'd rather have the heat in silence. But, that's me.
( Last edited by Kenstee; Oct 5, 2005 at 08:34 PM. )

imacgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 11:21 PM

I had the same prob with my ibook and it needed a archive and install with the os and i got a speed bump and more free mem. and my ibook started on 10.2 so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules