Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > activating "scrolling options" and "zoom using scroll ball"

activating "scrolling options" and "zoom using scroll ball"
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 12:55 AM

According to:

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html

there should be "Zoom using scroll ball... " and "Scrolling options" popups in Mouse preferences, but I only see:

I'm running 10.4.7 and ran the Mouse software installer. How do I get these additional options to appear?

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 01:17 AM

yeah, there was a thread a while back about this .. a couple of us asked the same question . the thing is that the new options are for the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse .. it comes with a cd that you must install for the options to appear .

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by jriveractu
yeah, there was a thread a while back about this .. a couple of us asked the same question . the thing is that the new options are for the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse .. it comes with a cd that you must install for the options to appear .
Does it make sense that the Bluetooth version would have the options, but not the wired version? The options are listed in Apple's Help system, which doesn't say anything about the mouse having to be Bluetooth -- it just says Mighty Mouse.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 02:00 AM

Here's the real answer...I have both a wired and a wireless Mighty Mouse.

In order to get the new zoom feature, you have to install a new mouse driver that as of now is only available when you purchase the wireless Mighty Mouse. However, once you install the driver, it works with the wired Mighty Mouse as well. All of this leads me to think that we'll get a new mouse driver in 10.4.8.

By the way, the zoom feature isn't what I thought it would be, and it's probably not what you think it is. I thought the zoom feature would tell the application to zoom in or out, but it doesn't. The zoom feature does the same thing as the zoom feature of the Universal Access prefpane, but is more convenient. The entire display zooms in and out.

Chris

freediverdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 11:50 AM

I have a one of the new imacs that just shipped sept. 7th, and the wired mouse and the software that came on that computer have the new features without it being wireless. So the new computers are shipping with this updated mouse panel. The updated mouse preferences has a drop down box where you have your choice of scrolling as Off, Vertical Only, Vertical and Horizontal, or 360 degree. It also has a check box down at the bottom that says "Zoom using scroll ball while holding" and then a drop down box with your choice of keyboard keys to hold down simultaneously. So again, they are shipping this updated software with the new computers that have wired mice, and it works with the wired mice, so hopefully there should be an update somewhere to update current systems.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by freediverdude
I have a one of the new imacs that just shipped sept. 7th, and the wired mouse and the software that came on that computer have the new features without it being wireless. So the new computers are shipping with this updated mouse panel. The updated mouse preferences has a drop down box where you have your choice of scrolling as Off, Vertical Only, Vertical and Horizontal, or 360 degree. It also has a check box down at the bottom that says "Zoom using scroll ball while holding" and then a drop down box with your choice of keyboard keys to hold down simultaneously. So again, they are shipping this updated software with the new computers that have wired mice, and it works with the wired mice, so hopefully there should be an update somewhere to update current systems.
Which build of 10.4.7 do you have? I have 8J135.

freediverdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 12:14 PM

My build of OS X is showing 8K1106. So apparently this is the newest or close to being the newest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules