Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How important is Memory Speed?

How important is Memory Speed?
AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 03:16 PM

I have a 24" iMac with the stock memory -- PC2-5300, 667mhz each stick is 512meg, I have two 1 gig sticks of PC2-4200, 533mhz from my old PC that are less than 3 months old. My question is: Can i put these in my iMac and have them work or will I mess something up big time? I'd rather not speed another $250 on ram and let these go to waste.

Thanks!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 05:08 PM

Memory speed is very important. The RAM you put in your iMac must meet Apple's spec for RAM for the iMac. If it's not PC2-5300, 667mhz don't put it in. Slower RAM will likely cause your iMac not to start up. Spend the extra $250 on proper RAM.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

AlbertDeschesne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Memory speed is very important. The RAM you put in your iMac must meet Apple's spec for RAM for the iMac. If it's not PC2-5300, 667mhz don't put it in. Slower RAM will likely cause your iMac not to start up. Spend the extra $250 on proper RAM.
That's what I thought -- I knew you could put faster ram when you have it in the machine, but was wondering about slower.

Oh well. The best price I could find for 2x1gig sticks was $218 at Fry's of all places. Just FYI
Albert Deschesne
Unibody 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 9600M GT, 2 Gig Ram | OS X | WindowsXP (Games Only)
8 gig iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules