Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > noise after coming back from sleep

noise after coming back from sleep
kingoat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 03:25 PM

After i come back from sleep it makes a noise like it's reading something and it's not a cd..
is that normal???

kingoat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 03:31 PM

also when i start up the mb it makes a wierd buzzing noise

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 05:48 PM

Could you be a little specific about the type of noise it is making? From my experience all macs with combo/super drives make some sort of noise upon wake or startup. It seems to just be mechanical parts in the drives cycling.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2006, 05:52 PM

My MacBook Pro spins up the optical drive when it starts up and when it wakes up. Does your sound come from around your optical drive?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

galarneau
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 07:22 PM

My Core Duo 1.8 makes a second or two static noise from the speakers when I wake it from sleep.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 08:05 PM

That's the computer checking to see if there is a disk in the drive. If the world were perfect, the drive wouldn't need to spin up to check whether there was a disk inside. But these things are mostly designed by PC people...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
That's the computer checking to see if there is a disk in the drive. If the world were perfect, the drive wouldn't need to spin up to check whether there was a disk inside. But these things are mostly designed by PC people...
Hey...that's not nice! Ok, so they ARE the same drives as in PCs, but that doesn't mean they were designed by PC people...

Actually the drive is platform agnostic, but the only way for it to report to the OS whether or not there's a disc in it is to try to spin up. Old drives tried to actually read a disc and if they failed they reported that they were empty (sometimes incorrectly). Current drives attempt to spin up as part of their start-up process, regardless of whether there's a disc in them or not, and determine whether there is or not without much fuss. The problem is that they have to index the read head (basically they calibrate its location) before they can check, so that lovely "zip-zip" sound comes out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Actually the drive is platform agnostic, but the only way for it to report to the OS whether or not there's a disc in it is to try to spin up.
If Apple built drives, they'd just put a sensor in there to detect a disc without having to spin it up.

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 01:40 AM

I think it also cycles the eject mechanism to remove any improperly inserted disks (disks put in while in sleep mode or turned off). I think I remember my brother putting a disk in my drive and when I woke it from sleep it spit it out. This probably accounts for much of the noise (when I wake my macbook it makes a very similar sound to that of when I eject a disk).
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 05:59 AM

The drive itself can go to sleep too. When it wakes up, you hear that noise. If you don't use your optical drive for a while and start up something like Disk Utility or Toast, the drive will wake and make the same noise.

masugu
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 11:35 PM

Yeh...I complained about this on these boards right after I got my Rev A BlacBook... Funny, my TI PowerBook nor my G3 Pismo ever made this sound. Different mechanism I guess. I likened the sound to something Curly from the Three Stooges used to make.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Forum Links
Forum Rules